New to Reef Aquariums and I'd like some advice

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had freshwater tanks before, ending with a 50 gal and a 75 gal aquarium. Now it's time to make a change. I don't have a saltwater aquarium yet, but I can't get anything larger than a 10 gal according to my Senior Living lease. I think I can get away with a 20 gal aquarium. My desire is to have a 20 gal standard/high tank and make it a reef tank. Having looked at several cube tanks, all-in-one aquariums, and several set-it-and-forget-it aquariums, I don't want any of those. I wish to build my own from the ground up.

I'm curious to find out what suggestions you would make for me to have such a tank. Live rock vs dry rock, live sand vs normal sand, type of fishes, any cleaning crews and how many, etc. Preferences on equipment such as filters, skimmers, water flow jets, etc. And more importantly, "why" you would chose those particular items.

Thanks in advance!

Geo007

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with live rock, like from gulfliverock.com. the attached life gives a jump start, one case where money can buy time. Not that much $$. Caribsea sand, the live aspect is in the rocks.
Get an ato, tunze 3152, to keep your salinity stable. Get an rodi system to replenish water evaporation
Are you planning on a sump?

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with live rock, like from gulfliverock.com. the attached life gives a jump start, one case where money can buy time. Not that much $$. Caribsea sand, the live aspect is in the rocks.
Get an ato, tunze 3152, to keep your salinity stable. Get an rodi system to replenish water evaporation
No sump, just a small quarantine tank. I too was thinking of live rock and live sand. I was unsure of the ATO since I am retired and pretty much I'm at home most of the time. I have thought about a skimmer and would appreciate some advice on one. Do you have any suggestions on an RODI system? I've been considering an Aquaticlife four stage one.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this

If your just running a 20 gallon that 4 stage will work fine. For a little more money I use the BRS 5 stage and love it. The other aspect is do you plan on having coral? If so good lighting, tests and a skimmer would be recommended.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always recommend 3 heaters. 2 for the tank, both large enough to do the job by themselves. Also a heater controller. I use inkbird and it has saved my tank twice already. The last heater can be smaller and is used for water changes

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump, just a small quarantine tank. I too was thinking of live rock and live sand. I was unsure of the ATO since I am retired and pretty much I'm at home most of the time. I have thought about a skimmer and would appreciate some advice on one. Do you have any suggestions on an RODI system? I've been considering an Aquaticlife four stage one.
I'm home a lot, but the ato tops off every hour or so.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your RODI, I have a Liquagen 5 stage and I love it. Got it off Amazon for under $100.

For a tank that small Id go with a canister filter. I use a Rena XP3 on my 55g and it works great. I don't think they make them anymore, but an Eheim or similar would be just fine.

If you are home most of the time, no need for an ATO. I think too many people try to automate too many things on their tanks.. Good old fashioned elbow grease will do the same job and save you a whole bunch of $$ that you can put towards more corals lol

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this

If your just running a 20 gallon that 4 stage will work fine. For a little more money I use the BRS 5 stage and love it. The other aspect is do you plan on having coral? If so good lighting, tests and a skimmer would be recommended.
Yes, I do plan on having corals, but not right away. I'm a bit fuzzy on the differences between SPS and LPS corals. Do you recommend and skimmers?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and wouldn't go without it. Besides the nutrient export the gas exchange is equally as important. SPS corals are the hard branching types typically. They require very good water quality and strong lighting. LPS corals and softies are the ones that move with the flow of the water and such. They require good parameters also but not as much light as sps

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always recommend 3 heaters. 2 for the tank, both large enough to do the job by themselves. Also a heater controller. I use inkbird and it has saved my tank twice already. The last heater can be smaller and is used for water changes
Yes, I've heard that heaters often fail. I will definitely get two if not three.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an SPS heavy tank

Here's a softie/lps

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and wouldn't go without it. Besides the nutrient export the gas exchange is equally as important. SPS corals are the hard branching types typically. They require very good water quality and strong lighting. LPS corals and softies are the ones that move with the flow of the water and such. They require good parameters also but not as much light as sps
Good to know. Thank you.

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an SPS heavy tank

Here's a softie/lps

Larger than what I can have, but beautiful examples. Thanks for showing these to me.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every hour or so? How close do keep your water level? Also, size of your tank and what is the RH in your area?
I don't, the ato does. Keeps salinity constant. The key to reef success is water stability. Salt is different than fresh.

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's alot of new ones out I would look up the review
Would you recommend the Tunze 9004 Comline DOC skimmer? I've read several reviews about internal skimmers for nano reef tanks and this one seems to keep coming at the top, or near to it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you recommend the Tunze 9004 Comline DOC skimmer? I've read several reviews about internal skimmers for nano reef tanks and this one seems to keep coming at the top, or near to it.
I'd rather go with the Icecap K-1 or K2-50. Very reliable and looks and works like a full size skimmer

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back