New to Reef Aquariums and I'd like some advice

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to the site and hobby. For me bigger is better and try to go without water changes. Have a huge refugium, and well sized skimmer that takes care of nitrate and phosphate levels. Love the separate sump and “system” of it all. There’s many ways to control nutrients to reduce or eliminate need for water changes needed to control nutrient levels these days. Although trace elements need to be managed if corals is your thing. With that said and my many decades and various tank size would say if a 20 gal is what you’re doing would simple fo water changes and forget sump, skimmer, algae scrubber or whatever to control nutrients, and set up an ro unit and do a water change a week instead of messing with skimmers, algae scrubber once a week. Have a nice quiet , clean, good smelling tank.
An all in one system is good in this regard. You also don’t need to add a skimmer to it. Also a fan of glass tank over acrylic, so not many, if any that I know of all on one that comes glass.
The issue with a standard 20 gal or whatever tank is that in fresh water proteins and crap sinks, in salt it floats so best to surface skim to filter, ie a hang on overflow or drill the tank for overflow that goes down to sump. A canister filter on saltwater tank is not ideal but many reefers have nice tanks with em

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello "theMeat", thanks for your response.

As I said in my opening statement, the retirement complex that I live in has in their lease that we are not to have more than a 10 gal aquarium, though I think I can get away with a 20 gal tank. With that said, I figure on doing a 10% - 20% water changes every one to two weeks. Also, I don't plan on having a sump or refugium, just a simple aquarium.

I've made up my mind on having some live rock with live sand to start out my tank a little quicker, but I need some advice on a few fish to pick out for a community tank and a few corals. Some people have shown me some spectacular reef aquariums, but I can't go as big as they were.

What I really need advice on is the type of filter and brands of skimmer, fishes, corals, cleaning crews and how many (snails, crabs, shrimp), pumps, etc.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the Tunze 9004 Comline DOC skimmer? I've read several reviews about internal skimmers for nano reef tanks and this one seems to keep coming at the top, or near to it.
Tunze has good product yes I would recommend

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would use all live sand and a few live rock along with dry rock.
Far as fish or corals not sure what look or personalities or relationships you’re going for. Personally would go for a symbiotic relationship. Like shrimp and goby, or clown and anemone.
Tunze is a good option for you on a tank that won’t otherwise have surface skimming. As well is in tank design as compared to hang on back. A skimmer will overflow at some point. Skimmate has a special stench I’m not sure you’re familiar with yet. With a hob it will flood onto floor. If you have carpet that would be really bad and I’d probably want to move out after a few skimmate overflows

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm a bit new to some of the lingo... someone also said "+1 on this" and I'm a little vague on the use of "+1". Any advice?
It just means that person agrees and thinks it's a good idea.

OP
OP
G

Geo007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may be lax in many ways, and certainly with getting my Nano tank setup. I'm working on my computers first, so I'll just continue here a bit. Sorry for the big time delay.

First, I'm thinking about upgrading my non-existent Nano aquarium from a 20 gal to a 29/30 gal. I'll worry about the repercussions later. Second, I'm also considering having a sump - something along the same size as my display tank.

Which brings me to my first question: Does the size of sump add to, or increase the size of the total aquarium? i.e.: If I have a 30 gal display tank and a 30 gal sump, does that mean that I have a 60 gal aquarium?

I would like to start out with a no-reef fish only tank, but using live rock and live sand. What fish would be recommended for a 29/30 gal aquarium? Also, any invertebrates to recommend? I'm partial to crabs and shrimps, not to much on snails.

I'm not to sure about all the equipment being in the sump and "out-of-sight", but I'm open for suggestions.

Lastly, I haven't heard to much about anyone using an air pump for adding O2 to the water. Are they not needed in a saltwater aquarium?

I have had freshwater tanks before, ending with a 50 gal and a 75 gal aquarium. Now it's time to make a change. I don't have a saltwater aquarium yet, but I can't get anything larger than a 10 gal according to my Senior Living lease. I think I can get away with a 20 gal aquarium. My desire is to have a 20 gal standard/high tank and make it a reef tank. Having looked at several cube tanks, all-in-one aquariums, and several set-it-and-forget-it aquariums, I don't want any of those. I wish to build my own from the ground up.

I'm curious to find out what suggestions you would make for me to have such a tank. Live rock vs dry rock, live sand vs normal sand, type of fishes, any cleaning crews and how many, etc. Preferences on equipment such as filters, skimmers, water flow jets, etc. And more importantly, "why" you would chose those particular items.

Thanks in advance!

Geo007

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may be lax in many ways, and certainly with getting my Nano tank setup. I'm working on my computers first, so I'll just continue here a bit. Sorry for the big time delay.

First, I'm thinking about upgrading my non-existent Nano aquarium from a 20 gal to a 29/30 gal. I'll worry about the repercussions later. Second, I'm also considering having a sump - something along the same size as my display tank.

Which brings me to my first question: Does the size of sump add to, or increase the size of the total aquarium? i.e.: If I have a 30 gal display tank and a 30 gal sump, does that mean that I have a 60 gal aquarium?

I would like to start out with a no-reef fish only tank, but using live rock and live sand. What fish would be recommended for a 29/30 gal aquarium? Also, any invertebrates to recommend? I'm partial to crabs and shrimps, not to much on snails.

I'm not to sure about all the equipment being in the sump and "out-of-sight", but I'm open for suggestions.

Lastly, I haven't heard to much about anyone using an air pump for adding O2 to the water. Are they not needed in a saltwater aquarium?
In a sense yes you will have a 60 gallon system but you have to take out sand and rock . I have a 125 with a 30 gallon sump but I only have 120 gallon system . How do I know this , I counted every 5 gallon jug when I filled it.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a sense yes you will have a 60 gallon system but you have to take out sand and rock . I have a 125 with a 30 gallon sump but I only have 120 gallon system . How do I know this , I counted every 5 gallon jug when I filled it.
Air pumps are not needed as long as you have agitation at the top of the tank . Point a powerhead at the top and call it good.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back