New To Reef Aquariums In Bloomington-Normal Area

natefizzle8675

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if i might be able to get advice and teachings from you folks at this forum. I have a 29 gallon oceanic biocube with about 29 or more pounds of liverock. Four inch sandbed maxi-jet 600 powerhead for extra flow. UV light and protein skimmer. Pretty much all the extras you can buy for it. I added BIO-spira to it yesterday because most of the liverock i did have was from another tank that had almost complete die off. I have 13 scarlet crabs in there now. Guy at local fish shop told me it would help establish the tank quicker along with the BIO-spira. I did unplug the UV sterilizer and protein skimmer when i added the BIO-spira as it does contain bacteria. I also have some addatives but would like some advice on what i actually do need and what i got sold :p. I have done what feels like alot of research, but would love to have some more advice from you folks. I would very much appreciate it. Thank you

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it sounds like you are well on your way. Has the tank cycled at all yet?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
N

natefizzle8675

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there......sorry for taking so long to reply but my tank has seemed to have cycled. My ammonia is at 0 my nintries are at 0 and my natrates seem to be 40 ppm. Is that too high for nitrates?

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
natefizzle8675 said:
hi there......sorry for taking so long to reply but my tank has seemed to have cycled. My ammonia is at 0 my nintries are at 0 and my natrates seem to be 40 ppm. Is that too high for nitrates?

That is a little high but not bad considering your tank just cycled. Most people will just do a water change to get it a little lower and then start adding fish and coral. Which fish store are you getting advice from? There are two in BN that I usually go to, Marine Aquatics and Premium Pet Supply.

Our club is going to have a monthly meeting at my house in March if you are interested in meeting local reef keepers and want to see a local 90gal tank. You can find out more about the club at www.bnreef.com We usually have monthly meetings and other events throughout the year.

OP
OP
N

natefizzle8675

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great! As a beginner i would love to get as much advice as i can. As far as where i shop? Well i have spent most of my money at premium pet supply and there has been a girl there who has been extremely honst with me , i feel anyway, when it comes to advice. I have shopped at marine aquatics and to be honest his prices are pretty close to premium pet supply and rival even petco and some places online. So as you can see i really have no preference. The owner of marine aquatics was honest in giving advice as well Instead of trying to make some money he actually told me it would be best to hold off on buying some fish and coral.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am glad that both places were not trying to sell you crap you didn't need. As I said before, I go to both of them and they have treated me well. The club meeting will be on March 17th probably at 1PM.

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, He"s is right get into a club in your area, you can realy learn alot from locals

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get alot of great deals on coral from local members as well.

OP
OP
N

natefizzle8675

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea that would be awesome. I justhave alot on my plate, so as far as finding free time will be tough but i will def try for sure! Also if any of you could help. I replaced the bio balls in the back of my biocube with liverock, a mesh bag of purigen, and some micro algae. My nitrates i cant seem to get down ....even with a 25% water change.....any suggestions?

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meeting is today at 1PM if you are still interested. Address is 327 Garfield Dr. Bloomington.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back