New to Reef Keepers

DKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. just sign up here to see anything go on in Albuquerque, I've been running a 200g reef tank for about 7 yrs.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :)

Would love to see your tank as well.

CaliTort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1872963A-C59F-43FD-B247-A55EE59DC44E.jpeg
just wanted to say hello to the Albuquerque Reef Keeper forum. My avatar is a picture of my one and only Innovative Marine Nuvo Mini 38 reef tank. It’s been going strong for about 1.5 years now, It’s a highly integrated tank for such a small volume and it seems to work. I’ve got Armor if God Palyzoas, Jedi mind trick and other montis, Ric Yumas. Frogspawn, Hammer, Gorgonians, Bird Nest, Cali Tort (love it!), Pink Lemondae Acro, Blastos, several zoas, Trumpets, P Damicornjs, Purple Stylo, Rhodactis, Some generic corallimorph greens, reds, and blues, pulsating Xenia (a lot, just seems to grow like a weed), GSP, and Jack o lantern lepto, And Hydnophoras. Sometimes there are wars between all the different varieties, especially the aggressive Yumas, the hammer and occasionally the frogspawn, but for the most part, the tank seems to work. I wouldn’t say it’s entirely mature yet, but I’m getting to the time where I’m going to have to start dragging off just because things are growing so quickly! I also have a Psychadelic Mandarin named Alice, two Clownfish (Bonnie and Clyde), a blue devil damsel (Speedy Petey), and a Firefish known as Flamer. Got a couple peppermints who have done wonders on the Aiptasia explosion I had for a bit (seriously, they’re great!), 6 Astraes, three small Nassarius, and a turbo named Turbo (just like his predecessor, Turbo). I also have been cultivating Tigher pods in a small half filled 10 gallon cheaper from PetSmart. Once or twice a week i’ll Brine net a few loads into the DT during the night time. Alice loves it! I think she’d be all right without it, but I kind of like knowing that she’s well fed. I treat with Carbonate, Calcium, photo feast live, Iodide, and Fuel trave additive solution. My water quality is pristine. I fought with some Nitrates there for about 6 months (had a Coral Beauty at one point but she died when we lost power for a couple days, but she required heavy supplemental feeding with seaweed and a correspondingly large amount of waste which drove up my nitrates to near 60 at the worst point. I did emergency water changes and after many many changes slowly over 6 months (and obviously no longer having the angel) my nitrates finally got back to zero (+-5 ppm) on just this last water change! Iodide levels are my biggest problem right now, I lost a bunch of hermits, a shrimp, and a host of Ceriths (which may have been caused by something else unknown), before I finally realized that I had ZERO Iodide. Levels are slowly increasing but the testing is difficult and he fluctuations are sometimes unpredictable. Other than that my calcium and carbonate levels usually stay within recommendations (with minor monthly tweaks here and there), and zero phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. Keep the temp at around 78F +-2, salinity at 1.025 +- .0005, and pH seems locked at around 8.1 (literally never changes). I live in the mountains at altitude 7000 feet, just as an FYI (and perhaps a reason why my pH is a bit lower than expected for a good reef). Anyway, lots of stuff, and lots more of you are interested, looking forward to meeting some other reef enthusiasts in the ABQ area.

Carl Eckelman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. just sign up here to see anything go on in Albuquerque, I've been running a 200g reef tank for about 7 yrs.
1872963A-C59F-43FD-B247-A55EE59DC44E.jpeg
just wanted to say hello to the Albuquerque Reef Keeper forum. My avatar is a picture of my one and only Innovative Marine Nuvo Mini 38 reef tank. It’s been going strong for about 1.5 years now, It’s a highly integrated tank for such a small volume and it seems to work. I’ve got Armor if God Palyzoas, Jedi mind trick and other montis, Ric Yumas. Frogspawn, Hammer, Gorgonians, Bird Nest, Cali Tort (love it!), Pink Lemondae Acro, Blastos, several zoas, Trumpets, P Damicornjs, Purple Stylo, Rhodactis, Some generic corallimorph greens, reds, and blues, pulsating Xenia (a lot, just seems to grow like a weed), GSP, and Jack o lantern lepto, And Hydnophoras. Sometimes there are wars between all the different varieties, especially the aggressive Yumas, the hammer and occasionally the frogspawn, but for the most part, the tank seems to work. I wouldn’t say it’s entirely mature yet, but I’m getting to the time where I’m going to have to start dragging off just because things are growing so quickly! I also have a Psychadelic Mandarin named Alice, two Clownfish (Bonnie and Clyde), a blue devil damsel (Speedy Petey), and a Firefish known as Flamer. Got a couple peppermints who have done wonders on the Aiptasia explosion I had for a bit (seriously, they’re great!), 6 Astraes, three small Nassarius, and a turbo named Turbo (just like his predecessor, Turbo). I also have been cultivating Tigher pods in a small half filled 10 gallon cheaper from PetSmart. Once or twice a week i’ll Brine net a few loads into the DT during the night time. Alice loves it! I think she’d be all right without it, but I kind of like knowing that she’s well fed. I treat with Carbonate, Calcium, photo feast live, Iodide, and Fuel trave additive solution. My water quality is pristine. I fought with some Nitrates there for about 6 months (had a Coral Beauty at one point but she died when we lost power for a couple days, but she required heavy supplemental feeding with seaweed and a correspondingly large amount of waste which drove up my nitrates to near 60 at the worst point. I did emergency water changes and after many many changes slowly over 6 months (and obviously no longer having the angel) my nitrates finally got back to zero (+-5 ppm) on just this last water change! Iodide levels are my biggest problem right now, I lost a bunch of hermits, a shrimp, and a host of Ceriths (which may have been caused by something else unknown), before I finally realized that I had ZERO Iodide. Levels are slowly increasing but the testing is difficult and he fluctuations are sometimes unpredictable. Other than that my calcium and carbonate levels usually stay within recommendations (with minor monthly tweaks here and there), and zero phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. Keep the temp at around 78F +-2, salinity at 1.025 +- .0005, and pH seems locked at around 8.1 (literally never changes). I live in the mountains at altitude 7000 feet, just as an FYI (and perhaps a reason why my pH is a bit lower than expected for a good reef). Anyway, lots of stuff, and lots more of you are interested, looking forward to meeting some other reef enthusiasts in the ABQ area.

Awesome
Welcome , love the tank and coral choices

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back