New to Reef - Red Sea Max-S 650

Darkzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I just collected my first attempt into the Reef keeping world, have kept tropical cichlids and oddballs for roughly 11 years now... But the itch got real and now i've closed all the tropical tanks to get into the... Other side after years of lurking, learning and watching maybe i'm ready-ish.

So anyway, collected my first reef tank, went big with it. Second hand, dirty but the glass is good. Red Sea 650 Max-S with sump, return pump, the 4 circulation pumps and power control panel and Red Sea's inbuilt ATO system.

Didn't come with a light unfortunately, so any recommendations on that?

And also is the Red Sea ATO any good, reliable enough or worth still looking to buy a different unit?

Any first timer tips anyone can share? And also the one thing i'm struggling wrapping my head around is setting the flow of the sump. obviously the return and the inlet have to be the same flow otherwise one would flood the other. is it just fine art? lol any good youtube resources or whatever for that would be awesome!!!

Thanks if you made it through that ramble.

Only pic i could get of it sitting sad in the garage.

Hopefully the search for rock starts next weekend then can get the cycle on the way :)

20211002_172221.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 5 1/2 year old S650 so if you need any help just ask, its now the frag tank in comparison to my big system

Build thread below with lots of pictures and helpful modifications

And welcome as well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darkzy

Darkzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should reply. I had just found your tank via this old thread i was reading through https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vangvaces-red-sea-max-s-650.606059/

Thanks though, only thing I need to figure is the sump lol, pretty self explanatory but theres a small eggcrated compartment which i have no clue on. the Massive free space is for a reactor or something down the line?

Trying to pick a good budget skimmer at mo.

OP
OP
Darkzy

Darkzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cleaning is tomorrow, or at least the start of it. It's.. urh filthy :D

Will post a build thread up tomorrow night when I have some half decent pics lol

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should reply. I had just found your tank via this old thread i was reading through https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vangvaces-red-sea-max-s-650.606059/

Thanks though, only thing I need to figure is the sump lol, pretty self explanatory but theres a small eggcrated compartment which i have no clue on. the Massive free space is for a reactor or something down the line?

Trying to pick a good budget skimmer at mo.
Might need a picture but I think you probably mean the part were you rest carbon and other media, just before the final return chamber

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back