New to Reef tanks, Wanting some creative help

Colorado Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I'm new to the world of reef tanks. I've had various fresh water tanks in the past, but have always wanted a saltwater tank. Upon getting a new job, low and behold one of my new co workers has had a tank for years. So he has helped me greatly, as well as countless hours on R2R and advise from my LFS. I have a 90 gallon display, with a 30 gallon sump under it. All done by myself with my friends help of course! I've had the tank up about 6 months now, (plus 6 weeks cycle at the start). I'm fighting diatoms, but I feel like that is normal. Here is what I was wondering. I see a lot of tanks that have been photo shopped to show some corals and options for aqua scape. Would anyone be willing to do that for my tank? What I would like is to see different coral placements with the rocks I have, as well as Possible other rock scapes? I know this is a major undertaking, so I understand if its too much to ask. I know I dont have the skills, or a computer, or the program, so here we are. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Look for pictures soon!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help directly, but looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

OP
OP
Colorado Coral

Colorado Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's hard to figure out aquascape. Especially being a first timer.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is anything anyone can do for you because so much depends on your system such as lighting and flow. Where I might place a coral might not be the place it will be happy. I take full shots of my tank and then go into a program I use, mostly to tag the corals or to make notes where to try a coral. I use this mostly for when I go to the lfs so they can see what I got and maybe where a particular coral might be placed. I probably could put an image there to see but in reality, it is probably a waste of time and effort. I just updated my thread today with a full shot tagged if you want to see what I mean. I can place images there just as easily (except for cropping and clearing backgrounds on images which take forever) to "test" spots but I find just having this image printed and in my purse is helpful enough.

Basically, just figure what you want, start on the sandbed (unless they need high light) and move them around. Take full tank shots with your phone camera and print or show your lfs when you go shopping. Most really like to see what they are working with when you ask questions. I use corel draw and paint shop pro for graphics. They are lower end programs but powerful.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw together some ideas here and we'll help where we can;)

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help as I don't really know what you're looking for, but you're profile pic is awesome.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a picture a couple days ago of someone who took a picture of their tank and drew outlines around sections of rock (added fill to the outlined areas to make them solid--hiding the rocks) and wrote in his plans like "Zoa garden" "Euphilia area" etc. That way he at least had a plan or an image in mind of what he wanted the tank to look like. You can do the same by printing and either pasting solid paper on top and writing on it or just drawing your outlines and using stickies or writing on the map.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I do and have when I go to the LFS. Ignore my ugly white blobs of epoxy....
full tank shot.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back