New to reefing and looking for some tips on water and cleaning.

skyetoskye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am very new to reefing and taking my time to learn while also giving myself time to get the right equipment.

to start off, I got the red sea reefer tank second hand, 170litre display and a 30 litre sump. For the first while I’m going to use premixed water but I can’t figure out how much I should be getting. Of course I need to fill the tank but I’m wondering what recommendations you have for how much extra I should get. Should I get for example 100 litres extra?

The place I’m getting my water from deliver very quickly and incase of emergency I can pick it up myself. To be safe would 50litres extra cover me for the first week or two?

As well, I got some secondhand good quality live rock (It I’d dry and “dead” now, was already dried up before I got it) and I’m wondering what is the best way to clean it? I’ve seen a lot of debate online so thought I’d ask first to be safe.

thanks in advance, I’m very excited to get started this has been a dream for a long time:)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I am very new to reefing and taking my time to learn while also giving myself time to get the right equipment.

to start off, I got the red sea reefer tank second hand, 170litre display and a 30 litre sump. For the first while I’m going to use premixed water but I can’t figure out how much I should be getting. Of course I need to fill the tank but I’m wondering what recommendations you have for how much extra I should get. Should I get for example 100 litres extra?

The place I’m getting my water from deliver very quickly and incase of emergency I can pick it up myself. To be safe would 50litres extra cover me for the first week or two?

As well, I got some secondhand good quality live rock (It I’d dry and “dead” now, was already dried up before I got it) and I’m wondering what is the best way to clean it? I’ve seen a lot of debate online so thought I’d ask first to be safe.

thanks in advance, I’m very excited to get started this has been a dream for a long time:)
Get full tank volume of water and test it for : nitrate-phosphate-ph before placing in the tank
Utilize reliable test kits such as Hanna or salifert and start tank with micro bacter XLM or similar

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

If you have one a big grey brute trash can or other similar large food safe bin would be great for cleaning the rock. Let it sit in there for a while with saltwater heat and flow. A lot of stuff will come off and can be removed by changing out the water. You can give it a good scrub after soaking for a while as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and glad you joined

We Use Brute trash can here as a food grade safe plastic - Agree with Kristopher that holding the the "dead" live rock in such a container with your sourced water and after a few days add half a shrimp and follow ammonia and nitrate will help you along

when it comes to how much water to secure, suggest 2X your water volume... you never know...

Best of luck

100.gif

Upvote 0

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back