New to reefing and looking for some tips on water and cleaning.

skyetoskye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am very new to reefing and taking my time to learn while also giving myself time to get the right equipment.

to start off, I got the red sea reefer tank second hand, 170litre display and a 30 litre sump. For the first while I’m going to use premixed water but I can’t figure out how much I should be getting. Of course I need to fill the tank but I’m wondering what recommendations you have for how much extra I should get. Should I get for example 100 litres extra?

The place I’m getting my water from deliver very quickly and incase of emergency I can pick it up myself. To be safe would 50litres extra cover me for the first week or two?

As well, I got some secondhand good quality live rock (It I’d dry and “dead” now, was already dried up before I got it) and I’m wondering what is the best way to clean it? I’ve seen a lot of debate online so thought I’d ask first to be safe.

thanks in advance, I’m very excited to get started this has been a dream for a long time:)

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. As Sumo reef said it is worth getting an ro/di unit and also set up an ato. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
black ish appearance GIF

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would get at least 50% for 'just in case'. Plus you will need to get some distilled or RODI water for top off. When the water evaporates in a saltwater tank, only the water evaporates, the salts remain in the solution so you bring the level back up using RODI/distilled only.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back