New to reefing and so...many....questions!!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all. I am a noob here to all that is reefing. I have a 25g innovative fusion AIO tank. It is established (40 day cycle time) and does have soft and LPS coral in it that are doing good. I will post a list of what I have later as I can not remember all the types I have. (about 10 different types)
My daughter is very interested in marine biology AND loves corals so that is the main reason we got into this hobby. I also love coral so runs in the family I guess :). Its also part of her homeschooling science.
so anyway, The tank is doing ok but I want it to do GREAT. filter setup is sock filter chamber 1, left and right, charcoal bags and bioballs in chamber 2 both sides. then the middle chamber is the pump. (see pics)
Lastly, I have Current USA dual orbit marine LED lights on the LOOP controller along with 1 660gph wave pump, mounted on the right side wall (added yesterday). the lights are now mounted on a bracket about 6 inches above the water. lights on at 8 AM and off too moonlight setting at 6PM
My water chemistry is good, had a small ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spike 2 days ago but it's going down. (lost a feather duster and didn't know it for 2 days.) Other then that my levels have been good. I use microb lift nite-out II daily, special blend weekly, (recommended by local aquarium shop guy) and calcium and Ph the water as needed. we test the water every other day ( part of daughters science assignments) No water changes as of yet. I know my water looks cloudy and I think it is because I had a KH spike recently because of using eight-four instead of Ph balance. Not really sure though.

So I think that is long enough so now to my questions:
I have been playing with the idea of setting up a refugium in chamber 2, but on both sides and would appreciate your thoughts and opinions about that.

how many coral species is too many for a tank my size?

when it comes to feeding, what's best for coral? it is different for each type of coral?

those are the questions for now. your help with these and with any other guidance you would be willing to give is greatly appreciated
Thank you all :)

20201025_143151_HDR.jpg 20201025_143326_HDR.jpg 20201025_143341_HDR.jpg 20201025_143351_HDR.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How many coral- assure they’re spaced apart where they can’t sting each other and reef rounds or reef frenzy are some of the best coral foods

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

For every tank there are a lot of different ways to set it up. You are doing great so far!

Corals will need space for each individual species. Some can touch but some will fight for space.
Leaving room for corals to grow is important also. Depending on which kind of coral you keep will determine how many can fit in your tank.
A monti will cover a rock pretty quick and will also cover what's in its path. Mushrooms will pretty much stay where they attach but will sting what comes near them. If there are any specific ones you want to know about definitely ask!

Food wise most corals use the light but to bump their diet up many add suplimemts such as...reef roads, benipets, oysterfeast, there are actually quite a few different coral foods available. Be careful when feeding as this will raise your phos and nitrate levels if over fed. I usually feed half the recommended amount. All corals will consume the same food in their own way. Some like to get spot fed, while other broadcast feed.

Your tank looks great and congrats on doing this for your daughter!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
great looking tank,reef roids as a broadcast feed every other day,and spacing for growth is important :)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and Welcome to R2R!

As already said you can have many different corals as long as there spaced out ok so they don’t ‘annoy’ each other

looks great so far

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to you both! i agree with what has been said. I am newish myself and am learning a lot. i have several corals and have them on their own rocks when possible. setting up i kept a margin between rocks and glass to enable glass cleaning and avoid detritus accumulation. It is easier to rearrange rocks before they get covered (hint hint) lol

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, welcome to r2r. You picked the best place to come. Vetteguy53081 is right about spacing your coral. As you do research for each you will be able to find out which can be close and which cannot. Tidal Gardens on YouTube has some great videos on all types of coral, what they need,what they like don't like, flow, lighting etc. Good looking tank, have fun and enjoy

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, welcome to r2r. You picked the best place to come. Vetteguy53081 is right about spacing your coral. As you do research for each you will be able to find out which can be close and which cannot. Tidal Gardens on YouTube has some great videos on all types of coral, what they need,what they like don't like, flow, lighting etc. Good looking tank, have fun and enjoy
I sub to that channel on YT. it's really good and my daughter uses it to get info on the corals we have.
Thanx

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

For every tank there are a lot of different ways to set it up. You are doing great so far!

Corals will need space for each individual species. Some can touch but some will fight for space.
Leaving room for corals to grow is important also. Depending on which kind of coral you keep will determine how many can fit in your tank.
A monti will cover a rock pretty quick and will also cover what's in its path. Mushrooms will pretty much stay where they attach but will sting what comes near them. If there are any specific ones you want to know about definitely ask!

Food wise most corals use the light but to bump their diet up many add suplimemts such as...reef roads, benipets, oysterfeast, there are actually quite a few different coral foods available. Be careful when feeding as this will raise your phos and nitrate levels if over fed. I usually feed half the recommended amount. All corals will consume the same food in their own way. Some like to get spot fed, while other broadcast feed.

Your tank looks great and congrats on doing this for your daughter!
Thanx for the info!. I do have them spaced out fairly well. especially for the frogspawn. I will post pix of each coral later tonight.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great time to start a build thread,get a badge,link to here so we can follow along ,on your journey :)

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sub to that channel on YT. it's really good and my daughter uses it to get info on the corals we have.
Thanx
So great your daughter has such an interest in the hobby. My kids are grown and now I have a grand son who is interested but I can't be with him because of covid, only video chat.
You are starting this hobby at a fine time. Everything you need is literally a click away. From information, livestock, supplies etc. When I started the first time 40 years ago we had the library :rolleyes: and had to drive very far for supplies and such. We are very lucky today. My tank is like therapy for me having MS. My family thinks it's to much but I have so much pleasure with this hobby and have learned a great deal.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back