New to Reefing and to R2R.

Aquatic Jewels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure my lfs has steered me in the wrong direction. I have a 125 gal tank with a 40 gal sump system. We purchased all the sand, rock, and equipment from him as he wanted (minus the lights).

We cycled the tank as he stated for only 2 weeks with Dr. Tim's, them he told us to do a 100% water change and start over as we didn't use his RO/ DI water and it would throw off the stability of the tank. After a week of running (again), he told us to put in 2 clowns, a duncan and 4 zoas. He told us not to test anything for another week.

Once we tested, our ammonia was only at .25, out nitrites and nitrates were and still are over 100. Just completed a 20 gallon water change today and not really sure what to do. I'm lost as some of the stuff I've been reading is completely opposite from my lfs advise.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine and so will the clowns. Let the tank settle in. People used to cycle tanks with clowns 35 years ago before they knew better. Just make sure they are acting normal before you break out the test kit. I will also highly recommend you buy a RO/DI and a Brute trash can for water. post a pic and good luck.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with @Skynyrd Fish. Just keep an eye on them and don't add any more livestock until you read zero or nearly zero on both ammonia and nitrite. You will almost positively want your own RODI system going forward. They are easy to set up and run and you don't need to be running to the LFS constantly. If you made your own saltwater using tap water then starting over with RODI and salt is a good choice but he should have had you redo Dr. Tim's and waited on the livestock. Now the fish will act as your Dr. Tim's not a problem per se just not as livestock-friendly so frowned upon today since we have good bacterial cultures readily available.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back