OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you have in mind for your 90 DT? Did you have any specific questions or anything you wanted feedback on?
Nothing exactly specific question wise at the moment- but I’m that’ll change! I’m planning FOWLR to start for a bit then moving into softies and maybe some LPS a ways out. I’m sure I’ll have some questions as far as rock suppliers go, specific fish, and I do plan to drill my own tank .
One question is, where to drill the hole for my return bulkhead? As in how far below the rim? I plan to use loc line fittings for that.

I also started a build thread here and plan to do put most my questions there or in specific threads already started:

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Dt you working on? Any livestock thoughts or wishes? My best advice is plan for where your heading and not where you are. You'll save time, frustration, and a bunch of money. Stay safe.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_244003776723671.gif

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Dt you working on? Any livestock thoughts or wishes? My best advice is plan for where your heading and not where you are. You'll save time, frustration, and a bunch of money. Stay safe.
I’m working on a 90g display. No exact plan for livestock yet- lots of ideas though. I’m trying to plan ahead as best I can, I really do not want to upgrade and rebuy things. Lights are the biggest struggle for me right now. Having a hard time wrapping my brain around why on earth LED fixtures cost so darn much.

here’s my build thread:

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on a 90g display. No exact plan for livestock yet- lots of ideas though. I’m trying to plan ahead as best I can, I really do not want to upgrade and rebuy things. Lights are the biggest struggle for me right now. Having a hard time wrapping my brain around why on earth LED fixtures cost so darn much.

here’s my build thread:
I understand the sticker shock there. I myself bought a couple of Chinese black box LEDs off of Amazon (ViparSpectra 165w). Two of them with hanging kits were just about the the same price of one A.I. prime or Hydra, one X15, or one kessil puck. They definitely grow LPS in the lower 1/3 of tank and SPS in the upper reaches. They unfortunately are very direct light and leave alot of shadowing, and apart from on/off timers and intensity they aren't controllable. I now need to either wait till I have funds for upgrades or add in a couple retro kits of dimmable t5's for better diffuse light and a more natural lighting schedule than on and off at set intensity.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other less expensive options that receive good reviews here on R2R are the Noopsyche and the Photon V2. Both these options come with more controllability than standard black boxes and a nicer price tag than big name brands.

Here is a link to @Manose study of black box lights. A lot of good information here and conducted scientifically, not just anecdotally.

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the sticker shock there. I myself bought a couple of Chinese black box LEDs off of Amazon (ViparSpectra 165w). Two of them with hanging kits were just about the the same price of one A.I. prime or Hydra, one X15, or one kessil puck. They definitely grow LPS in the lower 1/3 of tank and SPS in the upper reaches. They unfortunately are very direct light and leave alot of shadowing, and apart from on/off timers and intensity they aren't controllable. I now need to either wait till I have funds for upgrades or add in a couple retro kits of dimmable t5's for better diffuse light and a more natural lighting schedule than on and off at set intensity.
Yeah, I want to be able to control them aside from on/off. I don’t need WiFi (though the idea is fun), but to be able to ramp the fixtures would be ideal. I’ve been looking at the ocean revived and they seem to have a bit more controllability without being overly fancy.

OP
OP
ParadiseReefMT

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other less expensive options that receive good reviews here on R2R are the Noopsyche and the Photon V2. Both these options come with more controllability than standard black boxes and a nicer price tag than big name brands.

Here is a link to @Manose study of black box lights. A lot of good information here and conducted scientifically, not just anecdotally.
Thanks for this! The Noopsyche are catchy for sure. I’ve been seeing the reviews for these. I really like the Hydras but $800 is a tough pill to swallow. So these might just be a good compromise.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back