New to reefing! Need help please!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
We are keeping the salt water 10G tank for now. We will probably just do the clown fish for now.
Today at the store we looked at the fish they have and I was looking to see what their behavior was... none of them were bullies... but I will make another trip to the store before actually buying the fish to take a look at their behavior again. Most likely we will get the ocellaris clown fish cause as per my reading it looks like those will be the more peaceful and acceptable of others fish...

We are using this time not only to help the tank set but also for my son to create a healthy relationship with it and learn what is acceptable around the tank and what is a hard no. So far he is doing great.
We both spend a lot of time just looking at the water and our 2 little rocks in there and talking about what I have learned so far of the cycle and what is going on inside the water.
I feel we will love our fish once they come because we already love our little tank!
Again, so grateful for all of you guys who took the time to answer my questions and impart some wisdom our way!
This is a great community! (I am part of a mom community that is not even close to being so welcoming and warm and kind)
I like to ask all kinds of questions when I see a fish I like.
My most important question is "how long have you had it?"
If it just got to the store I will pass. If it's been a few weeks I want to see it eat. Which I know it will cuz its been there a while.
I pick a fish that is not cowering in the corner. One that is out and about and swimming good. No bumps or bruises, no white dots or anything suspicious. I look at all the tanks hooked up to that tank and see if any fish are sick in the line.
I have my favorite store to buy fish at. Every fish I bought from them are healthy. I normally qt for observation but some I didn't cuz I trust the store.
Good luck getting the first fish.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely we will get the ocellaris clown fish cause as per my reading it looks like those will be the more peaceful and acceptable of others fish
I love clown fish. They can be aggressive though. They can bite you when your hands are in the tank cleaning. A pair in a 10 gallon, I would not recommend. Most likely the female would kill the male, not much room.

Also, clown fish have a lifespan of up to 20 years!!!! Good luck on your new adventure!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be very aggressive. For a 10 gal tank, I would look at more peaceful fish. Try a firefish or yellow watchman goby.
I was thinking the same .
many clownfish I’ve ever owned is very territorial , aggressive to other fish and to those that feed them .
The poor little guy will be scared away from fish as soon as the clown attacks his finger ( depending on the individual fish , it can sometimes hurt

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly with a 10 gal stocking can be very restricted and limited .

shrimp and goby pair , a smaller species of clownfish such as a skunk clown but I don’t think a pair in a 10gal would work long term

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clown fish. They can be aggressive though. They can bite you when your hands are in the tank cleaning. A pair in a 10 gallon, I would not recommend. Most likely the female would kill the male, not much room.

Also, clown fish have a lifespan of up to 20 years!!!! Good luck on your new adventure!
I have actually read that, but I read that the Ocellaris is pretty mellow specially if I get bread fish... So what can I replace those with?

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly with a 10 gal stocking can be very restricted and limited .

shrimp and goby pair , a smaller species of clownfish such as a skunk clown but I don’t think a pair in a 10gal would work long term
Yes! A Goby and a shrimp! I was thinking a Wheeler's Goby and a Pistol Shrimp. What do you think of that choice?
And instead of the clownfish, what would you get?

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to ask all kinds of questions when I see a fish I like.
My most important question is "how long have you had it?"
If it just got to the store I will pass. If it's been a few weeks I want to see it eat. Which I know it will cuz its been there a while.
I pick a fish that is not cowering in the corner. One that is out and about and swimming good. No bumps or bruises, no white dots or anything suspicious. I look at all the tanks hooked up to that tank and see if any fish are sick in the line.
I have my favorite store to buy fish at. Every fish I bought from them are healthy. I normally qt for observation but some I didn't cuz I trust the store.
Good luck getting the first fish.
Thank you! Great tips for choosing wisely!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A possible solution here is getting a tiny ocellaris clownfish pair with the expectation that you’ll need a larger tank a year from now. A 40 gallon will be easier to maintain and will be a small enough tank to avoid getting into the realm of “big tank” maintenance difficulty. That can be one of your justifications for upgrading later on. You’ll have to be especially diligent with water changes on that 10 gallon tank, but it can work just fine and you can still have happy fish.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! A Goby and a shrimp! I was thinking a Wheeler's Goby and a Pistol Shrimp. What do you think of that choice?
And instead of the clownfish, what would you get?
Shrimp goby pair .
perhaps a small fire fish

imo . When I started I wanted only corals .

A 10gal would be a cheap display to fill with your fav coral Frags as long as the lighting supports it .
that being said . The tank needs time with rocks , filtration and fish to mature prior to adding corals

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back