New to reefing - Used equipment advice

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I'm just joining the hobby and looking at getting used equipment for my first setup. I've been scouring FB/CL for quite a few weeks and here are a few options that have seemed interesting, but I'm very curious for your expert advice on what might be best for a beginner. At the outset let me say that I'm trying to stay with a narrower tank (like a cube) based on the space where it's going and also to keep my better half happy (she has the eye for aesthetics).

Option 1: Reef Octopus LUX T60 (32 gallon)

This setup looks to be pretty complete. It has the tank, stand, sump, Coral BOX DC skimmer, and return pump and an AI Prime LED light.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Option 2: Fluval M-90 with custom stand

The guy selling this appears to be a very experienced reefer. He said it has been "refurbished", which I take to mean he had the built in sump removed, cleaned and re-sealed into the tank. The main listing is just for the tank and stand, but it sounds like he has all the goodies to make it a complete tank (light, pumps, sump if I wanted, etc.) so I could put together a complete package. I will admit, I like this one because the custom stand covers the light (which my lovely bride says is an eye sore on most of the cube tanks). I also like that the footprint of the tank is a little wider. It's my understanding that it's easier to make a nice aquascape with a little width, but again I trust your advice here.

1.PNG

Option 3: 30 gallon cube with stand

This last option is another 30 gallon cube. The guy says it's totally complete with too many accessories to list.

1.png
2.jpg

Clearly in general the two "set up" tanks would need a bunch of cleaning. But otherwise they appear to be very complete, which is nice.

My goals are to have a fairly simple tank that my family can enjoy. Some fish, some easier corals, etc. I've watched a bunch of the BRS TV videos and my only concern with any/all of these tanks is whether they're too small? I really like their mindset of having utilitarian fish that eat algae, but they also recommend 40 gallons as the smallest tank to fit some of those fish (clowns, tangs, blennys, wrasse, etc.). Thoughts?

Again, I'm a newbie and I have thick skin. So if you say I'm a dummy with any of this, that's fine too. I asked, so your feedback is most welcome.

Looking forward to hearing back soon. I can't wait to start the journey.

Kind regards,
David

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 is listed for $300
Option 2 is listed for $200 for the tank/stand, obviously more for all the other required stuff.
Option 3 is listed for $500

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Option 1 is best bang for the money. Light alone is worth 1/2 of price

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I'm just joining the hobby and looking at getting used equipment for my first setup. I've been scouring FB/CL for quite a few weeks and here are a few options that have seemed interesting, but I'm very curious for your expert advice on what might be best for a beginner. At the outset let me say that I'm trying to stay with a narrower tank (like a cube) based on the space where it's going and also to keep my better half happy (she has the eye for aesthetics).

Option 1: Reef Octopus LUX T60 (32 gallon)

This setup looks to be pretty complete. It has the tank, stand, sump, Coral BOX DC skimmer, and return pump and an AI Prime LED light.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Option 2: Fluval M-90 with custom stand

The guy selling this appears to be a very experienced reefer. He said it has been "refurbished", which I take to mean he had the built in sump removed, cleaned and re-sealed into the tank. The main listing is just for the tank and stand, but it sounds like he has all the goodies to make it a complete tank (light, pumps, sump if I wanted, etc.) so I could put together a complete package. I will admit, I like this one because the custom stand covers the light (which my lovely bride says is an eye sore on most of the cube tanks). I also like that the footprint of the tank is a little wider. It's my understanding that it's easier to make a nice aquascape with a little width, but again I trust your advice here.

1.PNG

Option 3: 30 gallon cube with stand

This last option is another 30 gallon cube. The guy says it's totally complete with too many accessories to list.

1.png
2.jpg

Clearly in general the two "set up" tanks would need a bunch of cleaning. But otherwise they appear to be very complete, which is nice.

My goals are to have a fairly simple tank that my family can enjoy. Some fish, some easier corals, etc. I've watched a bunch of the BRS TV videos and my only concern with any/all of these tanks is whether they're too small? I really like their mindset of having utilitarian fish that eat algae, but they also recommend 40 gallons as the smallest tank to fit some of those fish (clowns, tangs, blennys, wrasse, etc.). Thoughts?

Again, I'm a newbie and I have thick skin. So if you say I'm a dummy with any of this, that's fine too. I asked, so your feedback is most welcome.

Looking forward to hearing back soon. I can't wait to start the journey.

Kind regards,
David
If you were me, I'd go for 1, as I really dislike wooden canopies over tanks. Also the Prime HD is a great light.

keep in mind there is nothing cheap or easy about keeping a reef tank, especially in the first year.

you are going to spend a lot more than the asking price just doing water tests and getting everything dialled in. And upgrades, and then this, and then that.

It is an expensive hobby.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 looks nicest but #1 is a good deal

Most utilitarian fish are over-rated. IDK why BRS pushes that so hard. Snails, urchins, female emerald craps, conches, ect... will get the job done just as well. There are many gorgeous nano's that don't have algae eating fish.

Blennies, some wrasse, and clowns fit in nano's fine.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I replied, but it’s not showing up. So sorry if this is a repeat. But thanks for all the advice. My wife prefers the large wooden stand with the hood. Is the temperature thing a big issue?

I’m going to look at them tomorrow. For what it’s worth, the refurbishment was allegedly done by a professional. I guess confirm leaks? Anything else I should look for when I’m inspecting the equipment? Especially the used pumps, skimmers, etc?

Really looking forward to getting started.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up going with the Fluval M90. It turns out the guy didn’t do the reseal himself, it was done professionally. Again, “allegedly.” But it looked to be in good shape. He also through in a 14 gallon bio cube that has a pump etc. which I may turn into a quarantine tank. Haven’t decided yet.

Anyway, I will start my build thread soon but quick starting question. I want to totally disinfect the tanks before I start just to make sure anything he had doesn’t contaminate my tank. I asked at my LFS and the guy recommend a 100ppm bleach solution recirculating in the tank for 24 hrs. I tried to confirm this and most people did NOT recommend keeping bleach in a tank that long.

Can someone here please give me some advice on how to sanitize these tanks properly prior to starting? Thanks in advance!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up going with the Fluval M90. It turns out the guy didn’t do the reseal himself, it was done professionally. Again, “allegedly.” But it looked to be in good shape. He also through in a 14 gallon bio cube that has a pump etc. which I may turn into a quarantine tank. Haven’t decided yet.

Anyway, I will start my build thread soon but quick starting question. I want to totally disinfect the tanks before I start just to make sure anything he had doesn’t contaminate my tank. I asked at my LFS and the guy recommend a 100ppm bleach solution recirculating in the tank for 24 hrs. I tried to confirm this and most people did NOT recommend keeping bleach in a tank that long.

Can someone here please give me some advice on how to sanitize these tanks properly prior to starting? Thanks in advance!
Just use bleach. I wash my filter socks with it every week. It is harmless if you rinse well and let the tank air dry.

it wont harm the silicon.

you could also use hydrogen peroxide Or alcohol.

vinegar is not antibacterial and is a waste of time. Save it for the fish and chips.

how many hospitals do you see using vinegar to sterilise things?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use bleach. I wash my filter socks with it every week. It is harmless if you rinse well and let the tank air dry.

it wont harm the silicon.

you could also use hydrogen peroxide Or alcohol.

vinegar is not antibacterial and is a waste of time. Save it for the fish and chips.

how many hospitals do you see using vinegar to sterilise things?
I use bleach a lot .. dry rock, filter socks… not sure about the silicon aspect … that is why I went better safe then sorry

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congrats on the purchase. I like it to be a more rustic look also the look of a big hood....I wouldn't worry to heavily about the temp issues with today's lights. And yes, you have a nice amount of flexibility and swim space for your stock. 90 is my size, and imo it's that sweet spot you can fit one or two nice medium sized fish in there...as a few others mentioned vinegar or citric acid. Have fun with it!

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great. Thanks guys. I definitely understand that citric acid will clean. Will it also disinfect? Or should I do a really good clean with citric acid. And then maybe just a 10-15 minute soak with 100ppm bleach to sanitize?

I’ve been out here scrubbing off the pet dander and dust from the time the tank has been out of use (the gentleman loved his cats :) ). Tomorrow I’m going to get a plug for the Fluval bulkhead for their “sump drain” then I can start the citric acid.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great. Thanks guys. I definitely understand that citric acid will clean. Will it also disinfect? Or should I do a really good clean with citric acid. And then maybe just a 10-15 minute soak with 100ppm bleach to sanitize?

I’ve been out here scrubbing off the pet dander and dust from the time the tank has been out of use (the gentleman loved his cats :) ). Tomorrow I’m going to get a plug for the Fluval bulkhead for their “sump drain” then I can start the citric acid.
Vinegar or Citric Acid will remove calcium deposits and is great for cleaning pumps and powerheads.

As I previously said, the cheapest and easiest disinfectant is household bleach. Just make sure it is pure bleach with no colors, flavors or anti foaming agents. Unless you like lemon scented fish :)

If you have a swimming pool, well diluted pool chlorine is simply bleach and will work too.

As long as the tank is allowed to air dry completely there is no risk at all, but if you wish you could pour in some dechlorinator like Seachem Prime, Continuum Aquatics Fraction, or equivalent and circulate that for a while with tap water.

I use bleach all the time for filter socks and never bother to dechlorinate, but I do if I'm regenerating something like Purigen.

Totally air dry is very important as that is what removes the chlorine.

Providing these links as they are really helpful tools when setting up tanks, or when you have a fish in a bag which you need to acclimate and are worried about ammonia.

Regards
Graham.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use citric acid would you go with the dose recommended for normal powerhead/pump cleaning? That says ~6oz/gallon. That's a lot of darn citric acid I need to fill the entire 36 gallon tank. Thoughts? Would you not bother actually filling the tank and recirculating citric acid mixture, instead just spot cleaning/wiping with the solution (wearing gloves obviously)?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is the best way. It was just done on a 20,000 gallon tank.
Just let it air dry or use a dechlorinator.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks. Do you have a recommended dilution for the bleach and a soaking time? Is the 24 hrs really necessary? Or just a few hours? Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back