New to Reefing; was given an established tank that’s a mess

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

B3B92182-B664-4218-A949-63004D8CDE76.jpeg

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Not familiar enough with the biocube to understand if there is a place to put the heater. I prefer powerheads to ensure proper flow to the corals, however sometimes the return from the chamber is sufficient. I would prioritize getting the ammonia/nitrite down.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

To your question...yes, use super glue and epoxy method for gluing coral frags. Make sure you 'dry fit' (pun intended) before you do the glue, epoxy, glue sandwich..but yes, it is possible.

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, looks like you are on the right track to getting this sorted out. what kind of filter media is in the back chamber? if it is something decent that will hold lots of beneficial bacteria my suggestion would be remove the media, the rocks and water into a brute or another safe container that you can store everything in and do a full swap. leave the gravel out of your temp container as you want to use sand. I would try and spend the next week trying to get your parameters as close as possible to what your freshly mixed water will be, then once it is as close as you could get it put all the rock and live stock in the temp container including your media, filters and a powerhead. Clean the cube out as best you can then mix up all the water as you would with a fresh start. use live sand of your choice and add everything back in to your cube and you can use a bit of reef safe epoxy to help with your scape. there is enough beneficial bacteria in your media and rock to help establish your transfer. hope this helps and best of luck to you.
Deadpool 2 Lol GIF by Regal

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, looks like you are on the right track to getting this sorted out. what kind of filter media is in the back chamber? if it is something decent that will hold lots of beneficial bacteria my suggestion would be remove the media, the rocks and water into a brute or another safe container that you can store everything in and do a full swap. leave the gravel out of your temp container as you want to use sand. I would try and spend the next week trying to get your parameters as close as possible to what your freshly mixed water will be, then once it is as close as you could get it put all the rock and live stock in the temp container including your media, filters and a powerhead. Clean the cube out as best you can then mix up all the water as you would with a fresh start. use live sand of your choice and add everything back in to your cube and you can use a bit of reef safe epoxy to help with your scape. there is enough beneficial bacteria in your media and rock to help establish your transfer. hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Welcome! This is exactly what I was going to say!! Solid advice. Strip that puppy clean, get rid of the gravel, and fill it all with proper salt water.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

B3B92182-B664-4218-A949-63004D8CDE76.jpeg

WOW! You've made great progress with that tank in short time! Welcome! Glad you joined

Things will come back to you - they already have (or that tank wouldn't be so great so fast)! This is a good reference book type article:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!!!
Bom Dia Hello GIF

+1

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

You might try a bacteria in a bottle product to try to get that ammonia and nitrite down faster, I used biosprira when I set up my tank and I was cycled in a few days, processing 2ppm ammonia in 24hrs.

OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

To your question...yes, use super glue and epoxy method for gluing coral frags. Make sure you 'dry fit' (pun intended) before you do the glue, epoxy, glue sandwich..but yes, it is possible.

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
How do you do this without killing the good bacteria or the news?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do this without killing the good bacteria or the news?
It doesnt harm them. This is a pretty standard method that just about everyone uses. Bulk reef supply, WWC, they all have videos of how to attached corals using this method. Just make sure you are using reef safe epoxy and superglue (forgot the official name of it). They sell these on all of the major reef stores.

here is a link to just using superglue:

OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! You've made great progress with that tank in short time! Welcome! Glad you joined

Things will come back to you - they already have (or that tank wouldn't be so great so fast)! This is a good reference book type article:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
I started one but I think I messed up. Not really sure how to do it. I’ve never been one that did diaries. So I’m still trying to figure that one out. LOL

Especially since I also have a 160 gal tank I want to start next summer after I figure out what I’m doing.

I definitely can use your build page as an example. It’s pretty awesome. Beautiful setup.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back