New to Reefing; was given an established tank that’s a mess

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome. One of the biggest things I tell people all the time water changes water changes water changes. Over the next couple weeks if you just keep doing the water changes you should be able to get everything straightened out. As for gluing I have found no problem with gluing structures together when the tank was already set up. I make myself a little sandwich of super glue water weld and a little bit more super glue use the gel type

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

B3B92182-B664-4218-A949-63004D8CDE76.jpeg
I love grump grump fish!
black ish appearance GIF

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

B3B92182-B664-4218-A949-63004D8CDE76.jpeg
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back