OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, looks like you are on the right track to getting this sorted out. what kind of filter media is in the back chamber? if it is something decent that will hold lots of beneficial bacteria my suggestion would be remove the media, the rocks and water into a brute or another safe container that you can store everything in and do a full swap. leave the gravel out of your temp container as you want to use sand. I would try and spend the next week trying to get your parameters as close as possible to what your freshly mixed water will be, then once it is as close as you could get it put all the rock and live stock in the temp container including your media, filters and a powerhead. Clean the cube out as best you can then mix up all the water as you would with a fresh start. use live sand of your choice and add everything back in to your cube and you can use a bit of reef safe epoxy to help with your scape. there is enough beneficial bacteria in your media and rock to help establish your transfer. hope this helps and best of luck to you.
Deadpool 2 Lol GIF by Regal
Thank you for the info. I did some research last week on the biocube and found it’s missing the media basket. All it has is a fiber type filter located at the intake and a skimmer (but it doesn’t work well) in the middle.
My husband and I are making a media basket and buying a new skimmer.

When creating the aquascape how long can I keep the coral out without harming it or the news?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started one but I think I messed up. Not really sure how to do it. I’ve never been one that did diaries. So I’m still trying to figure that one out. LOL

Especially since I also have a 160 gal tank I want to start next summer after I figure out what I’m doing.

I definitely can use your build page as an example. It’s pretty awesome. Beautiful setup.
Awwww... aren't you sweet. My thread didn't start out with all that stuff. My original post was much different than how it is now... Here at R2R they let us edit and expand, but I brought over the info from my local club so it will make you feel better if instead you check out my origins (that I didn't keep modifying): https://www.dfwmas.org/community/ta...ater-setup-spring-2021-or-sooner/#post-335438

I looked for your post you started, but maybe you didn't click 'post' button after you wrote it because the only 4 I can find right now are tied to this same thread in Forum Meet and Greet.

Here is helpful info on build threads they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwww... aren't you sweet. My thread didn't start out with all that stuff. My original post was much different than how it is now... Here at R2R they let us edit and expand, but I brought over the info from my local club so it will make you feel better if instead you check out my origins (that I didn't keep modifying): https://www.dfwmas.org/community/ta...ater-setup-spring-2021-or-sooner/#post-335438

I looked for your post you started, but maybe you didn't click 'post' button after you wrote it because the only 4 I can find right now are tied to this same thread in Forum Meet and Greet.

Here is helpful info on build threads they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE
Well I finally finished my build blog. I have to say, I’m sure long winded. In any case, here it is..

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally finished my build blog. I have to say, I’m sure long winded. In any case, here it is..

AWESOME!!! You've been VERY busy. I hate green hair algae, too and I'm also in fight mode. I can take a couple hours after you connect your build thread to getting your badge, so that may still be underway. If it doesn't automatically show up, then maybe this build thread badge post will help:

Congrats also on your new tank I saw mentioned in your build thread - this hobby is addictive and so many possibilities!

1. How long can I have the rock out of water so I can create the aquascape and not kill off the good bacteria?
- Keep them moist and work fast - superglue may be only option when wanting to use those particular rocks
2. Is there a way to remove the anemones from the rock they’re on so I can bust it up?
- another anemone 'cannon' type reference post as I've used the credit card trick (does hurt them a little), used ice cube (never touch them and still killed one :() so recommend: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bta-explosion-how-to-reduce-the-population.860287/page-2
3. What type of sand is best to use or are all types and brands the same?
- lots of types - crushed argonite has lots of benefits; google argonite reef benefits - I've been using sand for about a year, then recently began transitioning back to argonite - ALWAYS rinse, rinse, rinse whatever you use (unless live sand as tap/RODI water will kill bacteria added into that sand) and final rinse should be with RO water and try to get all the water out so you don't swing your salinity upon adding to tank
4. What type of mortar, epoxy and super glue is best to use?
- fancy cantilever aquascaping should use drilled posts/pins typically acrylic - we were very pleased with our pink mortar and acrylic posts
5. How long can I keep the anemones and goby in the temporary container?
- depends on temperature and waterflow/oxygen in temporary container
6. if I add in new coral do I need to cycle the tank, if so for how long?
- ideally tank should not only have already been cycled but also parameters stable. New people including myself often scoff at keeping parameters stable, but it has turned out to be hard and NOW I understand why they say typically add corals after a year... 11 months in and my swings to nitrates, phosphates, magnesium and calcium all seem better, but learning what I did and how it impacted water chemistry and then either learning different approaches OR countering impacts of my approaches (biopellet reactor enable me to continue being heavy feeder with my phosphates and nitrates finally in good range)
7. Should I get rid of the bristle worms that are 5 to 6 inches long? Yes... but keep in mind they are clean up crew... I'm just not a fan of them... not likely you'd have this problem but I love being totally grossed out by this video, so your question gives me an excuse to post this (warning - EEW! ):

Above answers are just mine. The next three people coming along may have three different sets of answers. Cool thing about this hobby is there are more than one way to success and there can be so many other variables as well.

Glad you joined and glad everything is going so well for you!!

OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

You might try a bacteria in a bottle product to try to get that ammonia and nitrite down faster, I used biosprira when I set up my tank and I was cycled in a few days, processing 2ppm ammonia in 24hrs.
Great advice. Today, I finally had a chance to go to the one of the top shops in our area. I was lucky enough to talk to the owner, he’s a marine biologist. After telling him and showing him my numbers and the pictures of the tank, he set me up with some of the stuff you’re talking about. I must have talked with him for 2 hours about how I can fix all the problems I’m having. He also said the biggest problem was the gravel my friend had used because it ends up leaking toxins which causes ammonia spikes and nitrite to go out of wack. Anyway, he told me I needed to change it out ASAP to reef sand. Funny thing is I was about to do just that because I wanted a more natural look. I'll be doing just that on Tuesday after I get the rest of my equipment.

OP
OP
Pida

Pida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt harm them. This is a pretty standard method that just about everyone uses. Bulk reef supply, WWC, they all have videos of how to attached corals using this method. Just make sure you are using reef safe epoxy and superglue (forgot the official name of it). They sell these on all of the major reef stores.

here is a link to just using superglue:

Thank you for that link. Would you happen to know what type of mortar to use and the type of chisel to purchase to break up the reef rock? I know a wood chisel wouldn’t be the brightest thing to use.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that link. Would you happen to know what type of mortar to use and the type of chisel to purchase to break up the reef rock? I know a wood chisel wouldn’t be the brightest thing to use.
I personally use a good old craftsman screw driver and hammer. Missing hurts a little

check out this video. Has the chisel, mortar and glue discussion

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

B3B92182-B664-4218-A949-63004D8CDE76.jpeg
Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am completely new to Reefing. I did have a saltwater tank for a short time back 30 years ago but forgot everything. So I’ve been doing a lot of research

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, a friend gave me their biocube that was loaded with hair algae. The tank can with a grumpy goby, 2 anemones, reef rock that was just thrown in and the type of gravel used in a fresh water tank.

I have been able to get rid of most of it and added some CUC (a couple margarita snails, red leg crabs, and a pincushion), which are hard at work.

She never did any water changes and used tap water to set it up years ago and to top it off. Since I received the tank I’ve done a 10% water change and 25% water change with RO purified water. The most tests on the tank have been within limits except the GH, KH, ammonia and nitrite (all high) and calcium (which is low). The water changes seem to be starting to get these straightened out.

I’m trying to create an aquascape but need to glue things together is it possible to do that without messing up the good bacteria or killing off the anemones. I would also like to add sand to the gravel in it to give it a more natural look. Anyway, is it possible to glue thing with critters in it? If so, where do I begin and how? Also is there a away to create airflow without the big power head and a way to heat it where I can hide the heater in the back chambers of the tank.

Here’s a current pic of the tank. It was completely green 2 weeks ago but as I said I’ve been working on it a lot.

Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R!!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back