New to reefing. What are these things growing on my live rock?

GMF Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone :)

I'm new here, and I was hoping someone could help me identify these little things that are popping up on my live rock.

The tank has only been setup for 5 days, and I have 75% base rock with a couple pieces of live rock. The live rock came from a friends tank which was being taken down, so he let the tank go a bit; and other than some coraline algae, the rock was pretty "bare" when I got it. However, these small, potato sprout looking things have started popping up on one of the pieces of LR. Does anyone know what these little things are? And if so are they good/bad?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418320657.390042.jpg

I also have what looks like some small, mushrooms that have started to develop. Most are brown, but one of them has a fluorescent green color to it. I'm really surprised to have anything starting to pop up in less than a week :) (Sorry for the blurry iphone photos)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418320896.019653.jpg

jkilty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first photo looks like sponges. If so, they are good. :)
I have a lot of mushrooms too, that started as a hitchhiker from a rock I got from a friend...red, blue, and purple ones. They do spread, so if you don't care to have them on all your rocks, you'll want to keep that rock from touching others. :)

OP
OP
G

GMF Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
And sponges would be great. Hopefully that's what they are, but I guess time will tell.

Here is a picture of the whole tank.
29 gal cube.
15 lbs of dry base rock and 1" deep bed of course sand from Marcos rocks.
5 lbs of live rock.
1 Koralia nano 425 circulation pump.
Fluval 200w heater.
50 watts of T5 HO lighting
Aquaclear 50 with poly pad filters, a polishing pad, and some pre seeded bio media from an established tank
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418358623.878775.jpg

I tested the water yesterday. Everything checks out ok, except for the calcium which is a little on the low side at 360ppm. However, my alkalinity is on the high good side at 12 dHK. I am wanting to do whatever I can to encourage coraline growth on my base rock, and from what I've read this means having calcium levels around the 420ppm range. I have a bottle of API marine calcium which is just calcium chloride. Would this be good to raise my Calcium levels without messing with my other parameters? Or does anyone have any suggestions for other ways of raising my calcium levels, or other things I can do to encourage coraline growth on my base rock?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A newly set up tank should require no dosing. If you're using a common salt mix and your water chemistry is close to NSW than coralline will grow. You can help by seeding the tank with coralline shavings from an existing tank. If the rock front and center is some type of lava rock that should come out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back