NEW to reefing, what was the BEST thing you learned quickly?

How long have you been learning about saltwater reef aquariums?

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 45 9.8%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 1 - 2 Years

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • 3 - 5 Years

Votes: 79 17.1%
  • 6 - 8 Years

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • 9 - 10 Years

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 11 - 12 Years

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 13 - 15 Years

Votes: 31 6.7%
  • 16 - 20 Years

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • 20+ Years

Votes: 27 5.9%
  • 25+ Years

Votes: 27 5.9%
  • 30+ Years

Votes: 44 9.5%

• Total voters

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned that alkalinity will drop to without corals. After my cycle it was pretty low like 5. With a few water changes I got it back at 8.

Moonraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week will be a little different and maybe a little more fin (fun) as we discuss "when you're new to reefing" type topics! I remember when I was new and how reefing had opened up a whole new world to me. Along with that came so much I didn't know about and so much more opportunity to immerse myself into reef aquarium education. Today I would love to hear what the best thing you learned about while still new to the hobby! Let's GO!

When you were NEW to reefing, what was the BEST thing you learned quickly?

image via @sawyer010
20181009_134545.jpg
This picture gave me a panic attack lol I think the most important lessons for me has been "stop looking for short cuts that replace water changes and the need to buy equipment".

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best kind of test kit?
If you dont mind spending the money, I think Hanna eggs are pretty good. Easy to read. Simple to use. Phosphate, HR Nitrate and Alkalinity are probably the core ones you need. The ULR nitrate and phosphate are specialty eggs that you should just pass on. If you are not ready to dish out for the eggs...Salifert is a pretty solid choice.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust anything they tell you at the LFS

Don't take forum advice from people without a build thread or a reputation
The LFS I went to for the first six months was one of those places that has been around for years and years. Finally figured out their water wasn’t DI’d, and their own water testing was insanely inaccurate. I heard them dispense so much bad advice based on completely inaccurate test results, it was horrifying.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS I went to for the first six months was one of those places that has been around for years and years. Finally figured out their water wasn’t DI’d, and their own water testing was insanely inaccurate. I heard them dispense so much bad advice based on completely inaccurate test results, it was horrifying.
Sadly id say LFS bad advice is prob more common than LFS good advice :(

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it simple, know your tank you will know if it's happy or not. Don't chase numbers etc. If your tank is happy leave it alone. Stability is key not so much numbers. Patience Patience!

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you plan your new build, multiply your budget by atleast 2.5x :)

for myself - automation was a big game changer, having an alkalinity monitoring tool, dosers etc definetly helped me stabilise my tank

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first big lesson was that no one ever mentions what corals look like after lights out! First night with our first few coral in the QT tank freaked me out. The sinularia closed up like a ball, clove polyps looked like they had dissolved. Not to mention how drab everything looks with the lights out and how much greener your rocks will look after lights out.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you buy coral, see if you can get them to survive for 3 months before buying your next one. If you don't, you'll never learn anything about why they die and will forever been chasing a ghost

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back