NEW to reefing, what was the BEST thing you learned quickly?

How long have you been learning about saltwater reef aquariums?

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 45 9.8%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 1 - 2 Years

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • 3 - 5 Years

Votes: 79 17.1%
  • 6 - 8 Years

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • 9 - 10 Years

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 11 - 12 Years

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 13 - 15 Years

Votes: 31 6.7%
  • 16 - 20 Years

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • 20+ Years

Votes: 27 5.9%
  • 25+ Years

Votes: 27 5.9%
  • 30+ Years

Votes: 44 9.5%

• Total voters

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Patience. Nothing good happens fast but bad things happen fast. Sometimes they happen instantly.

2. Don't bite off more than you can chew. That isn't just about tank size or stocking too heavily.

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I learned ... nothing good happens fast. Take it from the minion.
Running Late On My Way GIF by Minions

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early in my reefing hobby, i woke one morning hearing Tzzzzzzzz, Tzzzzzzz. I looked and saw sparks and smoke coming from the powerbar that was under my tank.

Thats how I learned about the almighty important of the Drip Loop. A simple drip loop can save your life.

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no absolutes.

I'm only a few months in and the number of conflicting answers and info is wild. You can do all the reading, research and planning but in the end we're cramming living things into a small space and every situation will be different.

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out every LFS in your vicinity otherwise you might end up overpaying or settling for one that sells unhealthy livestock.

If anyone can explain to me why one LFS in my vicinity quarantines everything they sell but can still manage to sell fish at many times a lower price than the other stores around I'd love to know!
Could it be that by doing a proper QT and evaluation that they are better able to react and respond to the needs of the fish they see, and thus fewer livestock die before they are sold?

Seems to me that every LFS has the choice to either pay for a proper QT system or pay for greater livestock losses. Either way you gotta pay.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that by doing a proper QT and evaluation that they are better able to react and respond to the needs of the fish they see, and thus fewer livestock die before they are sold?

Seems to me that every LFS has the choice to either pay for a proper QT system or pay for greater livestock losses. Either way you gotta pay.
Maybe. They also benefit by getting a very loyal customer base who buy more fish when they are more confident not to be adding disease.

Though I also think that because these other stores are so spread out that some people never realize that if they drive another 20 minutes they can get a much better LFS.

Bensonthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that 1. it's not easy (too many pests like velvet, brown jelly, bobbit worm, flatworms, etc; water chemistry). 2. Expensive but also very addicting.
Forgot STN, RTN, algae, cyano, Long ling list which makes it worth it if you succeed.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been studying Saltwater/Reef Tanks for over 8 years. Learned a whole lot, watched 100's of videos....

Only to say: I've never Learned as much about a Reef Tank until I owned one...

I'm 4.5 months in. It's incredible what you actually learn by doing.

Ive had Freshwater Tanks for over 18 years.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week will be a little different and maybe a little more fin (fun) as we discuss "when you're new to reefing" type topics! I remember when I was new and how reefing had opened up a whole new world to me. Along with that came so much I didn't know about and so much more opportunity to immerse myself into reef aquarium education. Today I would love to hear what the best thing you learned about while still new to the hobby! Let's GO!

When you were NEW to reefing, what was the BEST thing you learned quickly?

image via @sawyer010[/USE
[QUOTE="revhtree, post: 10321828, member: 6"]
This week will be a little different and maybe a little more fin (fun) as we discuss "when you're new to reefing" type topics! I remember when I was new and how reefing had opened up a whole new world to me. Along with that came so much I didn't know about and so much more opportunity to immerse myself into reef aquarium education. Today I would love to hear what the best thing you learned about while still new to the hobby! Let's GO!

[B]When you were NEW to reefing, what was the BEST thing you learned quickly?[/B]

image via [USER=108871]@sawyer010

20181009_134545.jpg
Probably the most common reply "Be patient, nothing good happens fast" That was hard for me at first! I like instant gratification! I wanted corals so bad but I even refrained from turning lights on for 3 months and never experienced the "ugly phase" Well, not until years later when I got dinos lol
[/QUOTE]

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off your skimmer whenever you turn off your return pump.
Good one! LOL. Nothing worse then a dirty skimmer overflowing into ur sump! LOL

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the best thing I WAS TOLD EARLY, but took me a while to grasp is stability. I was given lots of great advice, worded differently, but I boiled it all down to "Your tank will find it's happy place. It takes time."

The first few months were a bit nerve wracking. After about 6 or 8 months, everything just seemed to click. Parameters became much easier to manage, and the corals TOOK OFF! I started with about 50% live rock, so it may have clicked earlier for me than others. But when it did, the reef life became much easier, and the tank really came alive. I still have my challenges, and probably always will. Just part of the adventure of keeping a reef in my home.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't know ask, someone out there will take the time to help you come to a solution.
If you try to just take things on the swim go at it, then you'll probably have more hindering issues than problems solved.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good one! LOL. Nothing worse then a dirty skimmer overflowing into ur sump! LOL
I had to think about that, I was about to ask why, and then I realized that the skimmer cup floods with the increase in water level, since I use a drain tube into a 1/2 collection cup outside the skimmer I really dont think about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back