New to Reefing.

2Moon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a new reef tank. I chose to start small, 30 gallon breeder, My larger tanks are all in use. Any way I am growing hair algae at the moment. My clean-up crew is not due for another week. Should I clean it up or let the crew do it?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard!!!

A little bit of GHA is ok to start, but the more you have, the more the CUC will have to deal with and they can get overwhelmed. So it's a judgement call. GHA is always kind of iffy for my CUC. I rely more on nutrient control and manual removal (occasionally) to keep the noticeable in check and the CUC for the algae that's not noticeable. Meaning if I start notice it, then I need to watch and take steps to address. If I don't notice it, then the CUC (and my nutrient control are doing their job). Did much more manual early on (and experiments with chem treatments) than after a year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a new reef tank. I chose to start small, 30 gallon breeder, My larger tanks are all in use. Any way I am growing hair algae at the moment. My clean-up crew is not due for another week. Should I clean it up or let the crew do it?

I would remove it manually, if you leave it the cuc will either not be able to deal with it or if they can, the nutrients will stay in the tank after they eat it, either way you still have high nutrients in the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2Moon

2Moon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard!!!

A little bit of GHA is ok to start, but the more you have, the more the CUC will have to deal with and they can get overwhelmed. So it's a judgement call. GHA is always kind of iffy for my CUC. I rely more on nutrient control and manual removal (occasionally) to keep the noticeable in check and the CUC for the algae that's not noticeable. Meaning if I start notice it, then I need to watch and take steps to address. If I don't notice it, then the CUC (and my nutrient control are doing their job). Did much more manual early on (and experiments with chem treatments) than after a year.
Thank you, I will clean it up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2Moon

2Moon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove it manually, if you leave it the cuc will either not be able to deal with it or if they can, the nutrients will stay in the tank after they eat it, either way you still have high nutrients in the tank.
I will clean it up a bit. I seldom have this problem with my fresh water tanks. since I keep them planted.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back