New to reefing

nkxyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im new to this reefing thing and i have not yet bought a tank but have planned my equipment needed. Would like you guys opinion on it.
Tank: Red Sea reefer 200xl
Return pump: Sicce Syncra 2.5
Skimmer: Bubble magus curve 5 Elite
Light: ReefLED 90/Kessil A360X Tuna Blue

Im kinda in between which light to choose. May i have your suggestions on which light to choose? Thank you

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im new to this reefing thing and i have not yet bought a tank but have planned my equipment needed. Would like you guys opinion on it.

Im kinda in between which light to choose. May i have your suggestions on which light to choose? Thank you
Lighting depends on what you plan to keep in the tank...?

Upvote 0

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get loads of different views on lights, but i would go for 2 Hydra 32's, the app is so simple to use and there are loads of presets to download if you dont fancy doing it yourself. Its overkill for softies but you will be ready for when you get sps.
Welcome to R2R

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nkxyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get loads of different views on lights, but i would go for 2 Hydra 32's, the app is so simple to use and there are loads of presets to download if you dont fancy doing it yourself. Its overkill for softies but you will be ready for when you get sps.
Welcome to R2R
Hi thank you for the suggestion but sadly due to budget constraints i wouldnt be able to afford 2 of them as im only 16 theres gonna be lots of space and budget constraints.

Upvote 0

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thank you for the suggestion but sadly due to budget constraints i wouldnt be able to afford 2 of them as im only 16 theres gonna be lots of space and budget constraints.

Hey welcome to R2R!
I'm fairly new here myself but everyone's been really helpful and the place is full of info!

If budget constraints are an issue, maybe it would be worth down sizing the tank a little? I know it took me some convincing to do it as I wanted a 1.2m tank initially but settled on something similar to yours after realising the cost of lighting etc. Will probably depend though if you're looking to get something set up fairly quickly like I did using the budget I had or if you are happy to draw out the set up process buying bits and pieces over several weeks/months and building gradually or just waiting until you have funds to do all at once.

I've got a single AI Hydra 32HD on my tank and that seems to cover the tank nicely, the MyAI App seems pretty good so far too (still getting used to it though personally), but you can download blueprints which are basically presets for it. I was able to find a preset for my tank from the manufacturer's website. Not sure if RedSea would have something similar but I'm sure someone could share it.

Kessil's I'm told do have a better 'shimmer' to them compared to other lighting, however considering the price of the Kessil vs the Hydra (not to mention you need to also spend on stands for these as they don't come with the light itself), you're probably in the vicinity of 1K for the Kessil and maybe $750-800 for the Hydra (based on AUD, but SGD is relatively close I think, I just don't know the demand over there so could be priced differently). Might be worth a look?

At least then you're getting a light AND a stand for the price of a Kessil light. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nkxyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to R2R!
I'm fairly new here myself but everyone's been really helpful and the place is full of info!

If budget constraints are an issue, maybe it would be worth down sizing the tank a little? I know it took me some convincing to do it as I wanted a 1.2m tank initially but settled on something similar to yours after realising the cost of lighting etc. Will probably depend though if you're looking to get something set up fairly quickly like I did using the budget I had or if you are happy to draw out the set up process buying bits and pieces over several weeks/months and building gradually or just waiting until you have funds to do all at once.

I've got a single AI Hydra 32HD on my tank and that seems to cover the tank nicely, the MyAI App seems pretty good so far too (still getting used to it though personally), but you can download blueprints which are basically presets for it. I was able to find a preset for my tank from the manufacturer's website. Not sure if RedSea would have something similar but I'm sure someone could share it.

Kessil's I'm told do have a better 'shimmer' to them compared to other lighting, however considering the price of the Kessil vs the Hydra (not to mention you need to also spend on stands for these as they don't come with the light itself), you're probably in the vicinity of 1K for the Kessil and maybe $750-800 for the Hydra (based on AUD, but SGD is relatively close I think, I just don't know the demand over there so could be priced differently). Might be worth a look?

At least then you're getting a light AND a stand for the price of a Kessil light. Just food for thought.
Thank you! Here price of kessil x360 tuna blue is 680SGD however from what ive seen in BRS claiming reefled 90 has quite good coverage for the tank and could keep sps in the future as its par is also quite high compared to kessil. However im not so sure...

Upvote 0

KGreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! Here price of kessil x360 tuna blue is 680SGD however from what ive seen in BRS claiming reefled 90 has quite good coverage for the tank and could keep sps in the future as its par is also quite high compared to kessil. However im not so sure...
I have a Kessil 360 tuna blue 2 dials, blue and intensity white, hard to mess up. Shimmer affect is great.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back