Welcome!

Party Reaction GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

The plan for the RO is to connect it to a splitter for the washing machine.

The big question is: What do you wish you could t
Welcome!

Glad you joined

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

The plan for the RO is to connect it to a splitter for the washing machine.

The big question is: What do you wish you could t
The best advice I can give you from working in several LFS and coral stores:
-budget equipment is good for less important stuff or basic stuff, but when you’re going for lighting, spend a little more to get something nice with warranty.
-find a couple employees at your local fish store, get to know them, and trust their advice! Ask them specific questions about your tank!
-take lots and lots of pictures and videos of your tank- this way when something weird happens, you can show videos and pics to these employees rather than describing what’s going on
- when it comes to budget, try to choose higher end but smaller things (for example- I once made a reef tank that was larger but didn’t have much in the way of quality supplies, and it failed miserably next to the smaller tank where I instead invested in higher quality equipment.
- never be afraid to ask questions, and read up on any livestock you want to care for before you buy it!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back