New to salt water and just finished cycling. Can I add my first batch of corals now?

Mikee3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the tests yesterday and….
Ca - 468
Mg - 1500
Alk - 169ppm/9.448dkh
Phos - 0.36
I have reefer 170, currently no fish or corals in it, just one lightning dove snail, hitchhiked from sand. I just want to know of I can put corals in it now.

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni, mushrooms, zoas, duncan, gsps, hammer and torch
I'd hold off on the goni, torch and hammer until at least a month or two. Get the hang of your maintenance schedule first. Evaluate the less expensive corals first and how they acclimate to your tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes everything else is good. I was just worried because my calc and mag is a bit high
Initially stick to more forgiving corals because your tank finishing cycling doesn't mean your tank is yet stable - some may say it takes a year (but I'm not in that camp). Xenia is a popular first coral because it is forgiving.

Attachments

• Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the tests yesterday and….
Ca - 468
Mg - 1500
Alk - 169ppm/9.448dkh
Phos - 0.36
I have reefer 170, currently no fish or corals in it, just one lightning dove snail, hitchhiked from sand. I just want to know of I can put corals in it now.
Put a few in and your a reef keeper, welcome.

Upvote 0

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially stick to more forgiving corals because your tank finishing cycling doesn't mean your tank is yet stable - some may say it takes a year (but I'm not in that camp). Xenia is a popular first coral because it is forgiving.
But id reccoment him really look into that with a 170. That stuff can cover a reefer 170 in no time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mikee3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But id reccoment him really look into that with a 170. That stuff can cover a reefer 170 in no time
I know xenia, shrooms and gsp grows fast, I’m planning on keeping them on a separate island, my plan is to put my duncan in first then after a week or two I’ll put the others in

Upvote 0

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, how long should I wait before I can add the others. If my levels remain stable
You want to see your number stay stable. Things like Alk swings can happen early on. I dont know that theres an exact amount of time. But i would start with the softies, see how it goes then start with the lps. Thats just me and theres many ways to do it.

Upvote 0

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni, mushrooms, zoas, duncan, gsps, hammer and torch
I'd hold off on the goni, torch and hammer until at least a month or two. Get the hang of your maintenance schedule first. Evaluate the less expensive corals first and how they acclimate to your tank.

Upvote 0
Solution

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back