New to salt water. Help please.

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just became the proud owner of a 120 gallon tank. I have decided that salt water is the way to go, lot of beautiful fish and coral made the choice easy. However employees at the local fish store are trying to discourage me from entering the salt water world. To hard, to risky for a newby, very expensive and so on. But I really would like to give it a go. I am hoping to find some help here to make the right decision. The only thing I have are the tank and the stand. The tank is not drilled and I don’t think I want a sump pump. I prefer the canister type filter. I have a real bad back and don’t want to have to do maintenance under the tank.

I would like some advice on filter, skimmer the hangs in the back and lighting. I am planning to add some coral at the beginning and the expend in a reef tank. Some fish will also be introduced to the tank. Also what else do I need to start beside the obvious water, rocks ( live or dry?)?

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just became the proud owner of a 120 gallon tank. I have decided that salt water is the way to go, lot of beautiful fish and coral made the choice easy. However employees at the local fish store are trying to discourage me from entering the salt water world. To hard, to risky for a newby, very expensive and so on. But I really would like to give it a go. I am hoping to find some help here to make the right decision. The only thing I have are the tank and the stand. The tank is not drilled and I don’t think I want a sump pump. I prefer the canister type filter. I have a real bad back and don’t want to have to do maintenance under the tank.

I would like some advice on filter, skimmer the hangs in the back and lighting. I am planning to add some coral at the beginning and the expend in a reef tank. Some fish will also be introduced to the tank. Also what else do I need to start beside the obvious water, rocks ( live or dry?)?

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Just because the employees are afraid doesn't mean you should be. I have a 90 gallon using HoB equipment that is thriving. Lighting will be your big expense and will be dictated by which coral you want. I'd recommend T5 or a T5 LED hybrid setup. It's the most plug and play option and the most forgiving. You'll need 2 heaters and a heater controller. An RoDi system and mixing setup. I'd get the BRS 5 stage with booster pump.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a simple HoB filter with surface cleaner. Inside of it I have filter floss, a sponge and a bag of carbon that I swap out and a skimmer.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Octo classic 90 and absolutely love it.

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Sometimes just because people work in a particular store it doesn’t mean that they know what they are talking about. I like your suggestion on the T5 hybrid. I have been looking at them on the net.

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a simple HoB filter with surface cleaner. Inside of it I have filter floss, a sponge and a bag of carbon that I swap out and a skimmer.
Yes I have been looking for a reef octopus 1000 HOB but I can’t find it. A friend of mine told me about it but it seems that they are discontinued.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in stock but would be the right size for your tank.

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in stock but would be the right size for your tank.
Thank you. I was not sure on the proper size.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow is the best advice. Dry vs live rock both have their plus and minuses. Once tank is cycled only add a fish or 2 to start. Give it a month or 2 after fish are introduced before trying some easy coral. Save yourself the trouble and buy good testing equipment from the start. Refractometer with calibration fluid, salifert or hanna tests

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice from Jekyl. Sure marine tanks are a little more work than fresh but so worth it. Like you are doing now, do a lot of research and planning. Ask questions before you do anything unfamiliar, go slow and enjoy your experience.

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps4 Wow GIF by PlayStation

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused!!!!!!!
I have been reading about lights and now I know a lot less then before. I can’t figure out what I need/want. I feel so stupid. HELP ME PLEAAAASSSEEEE…

I have a 120 and I need light. I am planning on lots of rock, a few corrals to start and a few fish. Nothing crazy until I became a little more knowledgeable/proficient at this hobby. I don’t have a lot of money to throw at it right now. I have been leaving on my savings for the last two years and have another two before I can collect SS and a small pension. Some lights I saw where well over $2k. I can’t afford that. I am more in the $300-500 range. What can I get for that that is worth considering? Thank you.

P.S. Not opposed to used.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused!!!!!!!
I have been reading about lights and now I know a lot less then before. I can’t figure out what I need/want. I feel so stupid. HELP ME PLEAAAASSSEEEE…

I have a 120 and I need light. I am planning on lots of rock, a few corrals to start and a few fish. Nothing crazy until I became a little more knowledgeable/proficient at this hobby. I don’t have a lot of money to throw at it right now. I have been leaving on my savings for the last two years and have another two before I can collect SS and a small pension. Some lights I saw where well over $2k. I can’t afford that. I am more in the $300-500 range. What can I get for that that is worth considering? Thank you.

I use the Red Sea reef leds and they work great

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused!!!!!!!

Ok... for a 4' tank the cheap LED option is black boxes. They are no frills, high powered and don't look the best. However they will grow ANYTHING. Look at 2 marsaqua, viparspectra or philzon 165w. The route I would recommend is finding a used either strictly T5 setup or a hybrid fixture with room the add LED later if you want.

OP
OP
comsubin61

comsubin61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... for a 4' tank the cheap LED option is black boxes. They are no frills, high powered and don't look the best. However they will grow ANYTHING. Look at 2 marsaqua, viparspectra or philzon 165w. The route I would recommend is finding a used either strictly T5 setup or a hybrid fixture with room the add LED later if you want.
Thank you.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you keep an eye out for equipment for sale on R2R. You can also check ebay, facebook groups and craigslist. Also, Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube are a great source of education material. Read Ron Reefman's articles here on R2R. The most important thing is to go slow and have patience. There is a lot to learn and study in this hobby. You will be challenged! But to me, that is part of the fun.

That is a large tank to use a canister filter. I used one at first with a 29 gallon and upgraded to a 40 breeder with a sump and am so glad I did. The protein skimmer really keeps the water cleaner. Can you put a sump on a side table?

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe is worth to take into consideration popbloom rs90 lights, i recently purchased two units for my 125g tank. Planning to add one more later, when i have more corals and/or corals that required stronger lights.

I got some frags as gift, and they doing great with this light, so, i dont know for future, but it seems to me that i didnt make mistake with this lights... And saved lot of money....

There's plenty of cheaper equipment for beginning, later as tank and you grows, its easier to upgrade if any piece of equipment is no longer satisfy your tank need....

Easy,patient, and smart is way to to, even with limited funds.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 65g, just rock, sand, Aquaclear HOB filter, Coralife HOB skimmer, 2 Jebao wavemaker, two Visparspectra 165watt lights, an optical ATO.

While there’s always an advantage to have been in fresh, that’s not a requirement at all.

First step is to get your tank, rockwork and sand in.
Carib-sea makes a good sand
Make and use RODI water, the salt of your choice, and mix a Batch to 1.026, repeat until tank full
Add a full bottle of bacteria.
Add heater.
Add filter.
Start wavemakers.
Leave lights off.

In one week, add your first or two, start with least aggressive first or a clown pair.
Let that settle.
Repeat slowly until you have a few fish in your tank.
You can add some light, just remember light brings algae.

keep a very close watch on your nitrate and phosphate during the first 9 months, gotta keep them in the ranges. Nitrates running in the 5-15ppm and phosphate in the 0.05-.1ppm range is good for a mixed setup.

when you can stabilize both those and salinity, try a couple of softies.

When we move to Stoney corals, we need to maintain ALK, CA and MG, in addition to salinity, temp, nitrate, phosphate.

When you can maintain all those stable, feel free to add all the corals you want, just be mindful of the space, each requires to grow out.

Great luck and have fun.
89CEEDFD-7FC4-4399-98C8-1FFBA78CE853.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if everyone took your LFS advice, this hobby would die out pretty fast, I think. I'm guessing your LFS is primarily a freshwater store?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back