New to Saltwate Aquarium in cycle for 1 week

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, excited to be part of the community.

Please note, this is a repost as per a recommendation of starting a new thread.

I am starting with a new 60G setup, it is up 1 week up and running. Today I notice my live rock turning brown and sand turning brown too. I am assuming my sand is live sand as well. I think it's diatoms, however want to be sure and understand my next steps. I do not have any fish as of now, but was thinking to turbocharge cycling with turbo start 9000 today and add a clownfish tomorrow.

I have no water heater and have blue reef lights on schedule.

My readings yesterday

High Ph Range7.4
Amonia0.25
Nitrite0 ppm
Nitrate5

IMG_7169.jpeg IMG_7170.jpeg IMG_7171.jpeg IMG_7172.jpeg IMG_7173.jpeg IMG_7174.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are diatoms but the rock looks like it’s dead rock just from looking at how white it is. How did you cycle? And what test kits are you using?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like you have a decently deep sand bed. If so, the rocks that sit directly on them may cause issues in the future if you get any kind of sand sifting livestock (may shift and hit glass wall). It’s best for rocks to sit on the glass bottom for stability then back filled with sand around them afterwards.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks like diatom algae to me. How did you cycle the tank? You obviously have some nutrients to cause algae to grow but I wonder how you got that. Did you put something in the tank to help it cycle? Did you use tap water for the first fill?

Diatoms and green hair are often considered ugly but they fill a role in a new tank of helping reduce nutrients. If you have a way to get a hold of some pods, now would be a great time to add pods as they eat on diatoms and you can really get a big population going early on. They are great for not only eating algae or other things in the tank but they make a great food source for many fish.

I have started tanks before with a single fish and bottled bacteria. Usually works fine, but have a plan in case it doesn't work. I usually make sure I have a large batch of saltwater ready for a water change in case I need to lower the ammonia or whatever.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are diatoms but the rock looks like it’s dead rock just from looking at how white it is. How did you cycle? And what test kits are you using?
I am just letting water run, have added nothing to the water. Oh, that's a surprise because I definitely bought live rock. So for now I have what I have. What should be my next steps here. Is it okay to add turbo 9000 today and check water reading tomorrow to get a clown fish? I have read that it can help to quickly cycle the tank

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like you have a decently deep sand bed. If so, the rocks that sit directly on them may cause issues in the future if you get any kind of sand sifting livestock (may shift and hit glass wall). It’s best for rocks to sit on the glass bottom for stability then back filled with sand around them afterwards.
Thank you, Sir, I will fix that :) appreciate your feedback

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks like diatom algae to me. How did you cycle the tank? You obviously have some nutrients to cause algae to grow but I wonder how you got that. Did you put something in the tank to help it cycle? Did you use tap water for the first fill?

Diatoms and green hair are often considered ugly but they fill a role in a new tank of helping reduce nutrients. If you have a way to get a hold of some pods, now would be a great time to add pods as they eat on diatoms and you can really get a big population going early on. They are great for not only eating algae or other things in the tank but they make a great food source for many fish.

I have started tanks before with a single fish and bottled bacteria. Usually works fine, but have a plan in case it doesn't work. I usually make sure I have a large batch of saltwater ready for a water change in case I need to lower the ammonia or whatever.
I got 60g from the aquarium shop .. I have been told it is ROI water. I have nothing else added to the tank beside what you see

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just letting water run, have added nothing to the water. Oh, that's a surprise because I definitely bought live rock. So for now I have what I have. What should be my next steps here. Is it okay to add turbo 9000 today and check water reading tomorrow to get a clown fish? I have read that it can help to quickly cycle the tank
So it was in water when you bought it from the store? I had a LFS that did something similar; put dry rock into an aquarium and sold it as live rock. Maybe it was live but it never looked very alive lol.

Imo, I would add the bottled bacteria at the same time as the clownfish. If you add bacteria before there is anything for it to eat, it doesn't help anything. Adding it with the clownfish gives it a food source right away to grow with. If that makes sense.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the best place to buy pods from ? Online or local shop would suffice ?

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to get a heater when you start adding fish, stability is the key to saltwater aquariums but clownfish are super hardy. When you get setup i would also get your PH up a little bit once you feel more comfortable with everything. but your rocks will change a few colors but like previously stated adding pods would be good for your tank. Happy Reefing :)

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was in water when you bought it from the store? I had a LFS that did something similar; put dry rock into an aquarium and sold it as live rock. Maybe it was live but it never looked very alive lol.

Imo, I would add the bottled bacteria at the same time as the clownfish. If you add bacteria before there is anything for it to eat, it doesn't help anything. Adding it with the clownfish gives it a food source right away to grow with. If that makes sense.
will my dead rock turn live at some point ?

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to get a heater when you start adding fish, stability is the key to saltwater aquariums but clownfish are super hardy. When you get setup i would also get your PH up a little bit once you feel more comfortable with everything. but your rocks will change a few colors but like previously stated adding pods would be good for your tank. Happy Reefing :)
Thanks I am on it, that is getting pods. I will also add turbo 9000 and get a clown fish. I have the heater going to install it today.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best place to buy pods from ? Online or local shop would suffice ?
I'm lucky to have a local place that breeds and sells pods. I have bought a pouch of pods from petco before with good luck. If those are not an option, I know there are lots of reviews for places like algae barn. Just plug their name into the search bar and I'm sure you'll find lots of threads; they are pretty popular.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendation on pods ?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown might be fine ..but I would turn your lights down and definitely add the bacteria. I really don't think your tank is cycled completely yet. That diatom stage is very early. Go slowly! Maybe by a few pieces of cultured live rock to add to your scape to foster bacterial colonies. Maybe get some macroalgae from algae barn with your pods to outcompete the diatoms.

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am on it, that is getting pods. I will also add turbo 9000 and get a clown fish. I have the heater going to install it today.
Good deal and yes your rock will turn live, the difference in the few types of rock is the rock that you got may have been in a tank but it doesnt seem that there is much life on it. if you look at actual live rock there would be an abundance of microbacteria as well as some beneficial algaes such as corraline. however, having said that when you get actual live rock from an LFS you have the potential to introduce nuisance algae or pests such as bristle worms and what not. my opinion dry rock that is grown and matured into healthy live rock that you start fresh with is much more beneficial. when you have pests in a tank, they are introduced by you at somepoint.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal and yes your rock will turn live, the difference in the few types of rock is the rock that you got may have been in a tank but it doesnt seem that there is much life on it. if you look at actual live rock there would be an abundance of microbacteria as well as some beneficial algaes such as corraline. however, having said that when you get actual live rock from an LFS you have the potential to introduce nuisance algae or pests such as bristle worms and what not. my opinion dry rock that is grown and matured into healthy live rock that you start fresh with is much more beneficial. when you have pests in a tank, they are introduced by you at somepoint.
Is this corraline ?

Attachments

• IMG_7171_1.jpeg
    IMG_7171_1.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 31
Back