why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

This post is a direct roadmap to where your tank is going with white rock

Look at his choice crossroads outcomes etc

It's a constant battle to decide between action and inaction in reefing, you can see how his tank evolved and its challenges during both types of maintenance/ hands on vs hands off maintenance

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get to see the very start plus the whole life arc of a nano reef dry start

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is this a good time to add protein skimmer "Red Sea skimmer 300" and is it safe to add "Seachem Purigen" in the filter socks ?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are reefing choices we have to make, nobody can give the right answer

you can’t harm anything by adding a skimmer thats for sure, I would never use purigen in a reef just my opinion. Here on out you just get to choose which means you want to employ, fall back on manual cleaning as a reset when needed and study the fish disease forum, the first round of fish about to be added aren’t likely to last a year due to details you can see in the disease forum stickies and those also show how to redo the fish disease aspect of the system if indeed some losses happen. Any fish losses won’t be a parameter you can measure, it’ll be from skipping what the stickies in the disease forum shows

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,
Continue your path without listening, and learning, and just spend money on things you don't understand what they do or why. You'll be posting everything for sale just like Daniel from Florida. (If you even read any of what @brandon429 is posting here.)
I think you need to slow down, and learn the basic fundamentals of water chemistry and the nitrogen cycle. Again, not trying to be negative, just trying to keep you in the hobby and successful, and not blowing a bunch of money on things before you understand the basics of reef keeping.
But then again, I've only been reefing 44 years, what do I know.......

Can you list all your perimeters in your water and what test kits you are using to test them. What is your nutrient export methods along with your plan for water changes, trace elements and water chemistry maintenance.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perimeters. I am using "API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT 550-Test Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit"

Just a note. I am using 60g water supplied + live rock from LFS and as well as my first clown fish yesterday

11/22/202211/24/202212/25/2022
High Ph Range7.48.48.4
Ammonia0.2500
Nitrite0 ppm00
Nitrate500

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,
Continue your path without listening, and learning, and just spend money on things you don't understand what they do or why. You'll be posting everything for sale just like Daniel from Florida. (If you even read any of what @brandon429 is posting here.)
I think you need to slow down, and learn the basic fundamentals of water chemistry and the nitrogen cycle. Again, not trying to be negative, just trying to keep you in the hobby and successful, and not blowing a bunch of money on things before you understand the basics of reef keeping.
But then again, I've only been reefing 44 years, what do I know.......

Can you list all your perimeters in your water and what test kits you are using to test them. What is your nutrient export methods along with your plan for water changes, trace elements and water chemistry maintenance.
My perimeters. I am using "API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT 550-Test Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit"

Just a note. I am using 60g water supplied + live rock from LFS and as well as my first clown fish yesterday

High Ph Range7.48.48.4
Ammonia0.2500
Nitrite0 ppm00
Nitrate500

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High Ph Range7.48.48.4
Ammonia0.2500
Nitrite0 ppm00
Nitrate500
My suggestion as API is notorious for false readings- Verify your test numbers by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and compare readings- then you'll know

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

This post is a direct roadmap to where your tank is going with white rock

Look at his choice crossroads outcomes etc

It's a constant battle to decide between action and inaction in reefing, you can see how his tank evolved and its challenges during both types of maintenance/ hands on vs hands off maintenance
I’ll summarise this linked thread for folks that don’t have the time to read it;

a) OP started the tank as normal
b) became petrified of a bit of algae thanks to you
c) you told him to rip clean
d) OP rip cleaned
e) everything went to crap for a couple of months and added UV and did another rip clean.
f) algae came back after countless waterchanges
g) OP added snails and urchin
h) happy ending.

Please tell me if I’ve made a devastating error in my summary. I do agree that choices are important, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll summarise this linked thread for folks that don’t have the time to read it;

a) OP started the tank as normal
b) became petrified of a bit of algae thanks to you
c) you told him to rip clean
d) OP rip cleaned
e) everything went to crap for a couple of months and added UV and did another rip clean.
f) algae came back after countless waterchanges
g) OP added snails and urchin
h) happy ending.

Please tell me if I’ve made a devastating error in my summary. I do agree that choices are important, lol
And with OP you are referring to Daniel ? Or someone else, and what is OP ? I of course want to do it in a right way, no rushing.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with OP you are referring to Daniel ? Or someone else, and what is OP ? I of course want to do it in a right way, no rushing.
Sorry, yeah Daniel, but looks like he ain’t logged in here for over a year. Sometimes you gotta get your elbows wet, especially at the start.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, yeah Daniel, but looks like he ain’t logged in here for over a year. Sometimes you gotta get your elbows wet, especially at the start.
I can relate, with no success he could have got frustrated .. I have lots of patience and will do it in a right way, :D not running trying to crawl first.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate, with no success he could have got frustrated .. I have lots of patience and will do it in a right way, :D not running trying to crawl first.
You won’t go wrong in spending a few days googling everything you can find written by Randy Holmes Farley with relation to water chemistry. Some of the articles are rather old but I can only think that the advised Nitrate and Phosphate levels have since been revised upwards. Failing that, if you pop over to the chemistry forum he and others are always willing to help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back