New to saltwater and need HELP!!!

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a 75 gallon tank and a fluval fx4 canister filter (I can't do a sump). I am slowly starting to aquire the things I need. What do i need? I'm planning on doing a reef tank with just some really simple corals and anemones. I still need to get a heater. Any recommendations? Do I need anything else? Also I'm not sure what fish to do. I have a huge list and can't figure out how to narrow it down and what fish will all fit together. I also can't figure out what to do for a cleaner crew. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Start with the basics - lights, heater, circulation pumps, & filtration. Are you using live rock or sand?

Good luck!

D824241E-43B1-4A4E-B061-D74D1D6E483F.gif

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to still return the Fluval FX4? I think you'll be happier with something like the Seachem Tidal 75 (specifically designed for saltwater tanks). This provides below and at-surface skimming in addition to giving you a lot more aeration. And it will be a lot less maintenance than the canister.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a 75 gallon tank and a fluval fx4 canister filter (I can't do a sump). I am slowly starting to aquire the things I need. What do i need? I'm planning on doing a reef tank with just some really simple corals and anemones. I still need to get a heater. Any recommendations? Do I need anything else? Also I'm not sure what fish to do. I have a huge list and can't figure out how to narrow it down and what fish will all fit together. I also can't figure out what to do for a cleaner crew. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Never mind sump that is not necessary just convince
The must list is short;
-RODI
-ATO
-Salinity tester
-Water test kit not API
-Vawe makers
-Lights
- heater(s)

things you probably end up getting
- algae scrubber/ reactor
- doser
- skimmer ( I don’t run one)
- microscope (o would recommend one)
expressions bunch GIF

on an another note welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Start with the basics - lights, heater, circulation pumps, & filtration. Are you using live rock or sand?

Good luck!

D824241E-43B1-4A4E-B061-D74D1D6E483F.gif
Umm I'm not sure on the live rock or sand. Some of the sand I have seen is crazy expensive like $20 for ten pounds and I have been told I need at least 75 pounds. And I don't know if I want to start with live rock or not. What's the best?

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind sump that is not necessary just convince
The must list is short;
-RODI
-ATO
-Salinity tester
-Water test kit not API
-Vawe makers
-Lights
- heater(s)

things you probably end up getting
- algae scrubber/ reactor
- doser
- skimmer ( I don’t run one)
- microscope (o would recommend one)
expressions bunch GIF

on an another note welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG
Do you have to have an RODI? Any recommendations for a cheaper one? All I've seen are really expensive one

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to still return the Fluval FX4? I think you'll be happier with something like the Seachem Tidal 75 (specifically designed for saltwater tanks). This provides below and at-surface skimming in addition to giving you a lot more aeration. And it will be a lot less maintenance than the canister.

I could return it but where I'm from I don't have very good variety of stuff to choose from. All I have is a petsmart or I have to drive at least an hour for a petco and even more for a real aquarium store. Is there anything wrong with the fx4 for will it do the trick?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to have an RODI? Any recommendations for a cheaper one? All I've seen are really expensive one
I bought a 4 stage one on eBay. It was cheap and has no fancy features like TDS meter but works just fine.
just had a look a 5 stage one is £75 for 75g / day. That is more than enough if you ask me

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could return it but where I'm from I don't have very good variety of stuff to choose from. All I have is a petsmart or I have to drive at least an hour for a petco and even more for a real aquarium store. Is there anything wrong with the fx4 for will it do the trick?
BRS probably has it. It will work, just that you'll find that the maintenance is a lot more involved.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on a hob from seachem, fluval/aquaclear, or similar without cartridges. I hate canisters lol

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used sand from carib sea fiji pink

have used live rock from my lfs store, and recently integrating carib sea life rock with it.

i use a jebao nan ato for my aquarium-small little pump but does the trick.

less is more to me, i have had reef octopus and bow a bubble magmus protein skimmer.

and only run some gfo in my filter sock…

this hobby can go as involved as you wanna make it, as much as can be set up like a doser does simplify it as life always gets in the way and helps maintain the tank to be as consistent as possible

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a tank with nems and/or corals
Use the FX4 and if you chose add a seachem tidal. I have a FX4 on a Nem tank and works great, water changes are super easy. Don’t forget powerheads to agitate the surface for gas exchange

Get a good light you’ll need at least 2 for a 4ft like 2 viparspectras or some 450-470nm led bars off of Aliexpress. You could go with 2 reefi or ecotech marine G5 but they cost a lot more.

Titanium heaters with covers like a finnex so anemones don’t wonder on them

You could always order some live rock from any of the places that sell gulf rock and sand this will mature your tank a lot quicker but possibly get some unwanted hitchhikers. Check out tampabay saltwater

But don’t try and place a anemone in there until everything ages and if dry rock and sand even longer.

And quarantine or buy your fish from a place that sells really quarantined fish. Last thing you want with is a tank is parasites that kill all your fish

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank with nems and/or corals
Use the FX4 and if you chose add a seachem tidal. I have a FX4 on a Nem tank and works great, water changes are super easy. Don’t forget powerheads to agitate the surface for gas exchange

Get a good light you’ll need at least 2 for a 4ft like 2 viparspectras or some 450-470nm led bars off of Aliexpress. You could go with 2 reefi or ecotech marine G5 but they cost a lot more.

Titanium heaters with covers like a finnex so anemones don’t wonder on them

You could always order some live rock from any of the places that sell gulf rock and sand this will mature your tank a lot quicker but possibly get some unwanted hitchhikers. Check out tampabay saltwater

But don’t try and place a anemone in there until everything ages and if dry rock and sand even longer.

And quarantine or buy your fish from a place that sells really quarantined fish. Last thing you want with is a tank is parasites that kill all your fish
Would the aquasky from fluval work or do I need something a little more than that?

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good lighting options? I've really only looked at fluvals lighting. Are they a good option or is there cheaper stuff out there. Also for sand and live rock what is the best combo. Live rock dry sand, dry rock live sand or both live rock and sand?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good lighting options? I've really only looked at fluvals lighting. Are they a good option or is there cheaper stuff out there. Also for sand and live rock what is the best combo. Live rock dry sand, dry rock live sand or both live rock and sand?

It all depends on your budget and how you prefer to mount them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm I'm not sure on the live rock or sand. Some of the sand I have seen is crazy expensive like $20 for ten pounds and I have been told I need at least 75 pounds. And I don't know if I want to start with live rock or not. What's the best?

You definitely need rock, at least dry rock made for reefs. Just get dry sand... live bag sand is hardly live and a waste of money.

I can't get amazon links to work.. ugh

Something like this will work for lighting on a budget:
1638237765349.png

For powerheads... the budget type is Jebao. Something like this Sow-15. I would get two.
1638237829494.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your budget and how you prefer to mount them.
I know that with lights you want to spend a bit of money so that you get good quality but I'm definitely on the the lower end for lights. I probably want them just like the bar that goes barely over the top or something really low profile

OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need rock, at least dry rock made for reefs. Just get dry sand... live bag sand is hardly live and a waste of money.

I can't get amazon links to work.. ugh

Something like this will work for lighting on a budget:
1638237765349.png

For powerheads... the budget type is Jebao. Something like this Sow-15. I would get two.
1638237829494.png
Do you think one power head will be enough for a 75 gallon? also how long does it take for a tank to cycle or for your rock and sand to become live before you would want to put in fish corals and anemones?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back