New to saltwater aquarium: my learnings would be posted here

nomoremoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers
I am new to this hobby. I don’t own a tank but I love microbiology. and like to learn how the ocean ecosystem works
My goal is to have an SPS tank in future

I am going to keep writing all my notes and learnings here till I get my own tank ( and even after that )

Ecosystem:
My understanding of an ecosystem is an environment in which micro and macro organisms live symbiotically.
and these organisms depends on each other for survival.
Ecosystem follows survival of fittest rule
——-placeholder for learning about ecosystem———

Organism

Bacteria:
Cyanobacteria:

Cyanobacteria uses photosynthesis in direct sunlight.
Uses CO2 and releases oxygen
Generally dissolved oxygen is tank is high at water surface level and low at bottom of the tank.
To avoid having Cyanobacteria, have a really good Dissolved oxygen at the bottom of the tank by having a good flow.
There is a direct relationship between water temperature and dissolved oxygen in tank
Dissolved oxygen is inversely proportional to water temperature meaning as the water temperature increases the dissolved oxygen decrease.
To fight Cyanobacteria, one could decrease water temperature. ( but how low ?)

Third thing ,
Organic decomposition plays an important role , high organic decomposition low Dissolved oxygen.
So having a skimmer helps control Cyanobacteria because you increase DO and effectively reducing Carbon dioxide.

in all the above method we are trying to control Cyanobacteria and not remove it completely, Cyanobacteria is part of the ecosystem and it should be part of the tank.

I am yet to study low nutrient ( high or low ) affect growth of Cyanobacteria
I would also site all the references used in my learning
Mods: I am planing to move my learnings to a different thread altogether and just keep this intro simple

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi reefers
I am new to this hobby. I don’t own a tank but I love microbiology. and like to learn how the ocean ecosystem works

I am going to keep writing all my notes and learnings here till I get my own tank ( and even after that )

Ecosystem:
My understanding of an ecosystem is an environment in which micro and macro organisms live symbiotically.

Organism

Bacteria:
Cyanobacteria:

Generally dissolved oxygen is tank is high at water surface level and low at bottom of the tank.
To avoid having Cyanobacteria, have a really good Dissolved oxygen at the bottom of the tank by having a good flow.
There is a direct relationship between water temperature and dissolved oxygen in tank
Dissolved oxygen is inversely proportional to water temperature meaning as the water temperature increases the dissolved oxygen decrease.

Third thing ,
Organic decomposition plays an important role , high organic decomposition low Dissolved oxygen.
So having a skimmer helps control Cyanobacteria because you increase DO and effectively reducing Carbon dioxide.

in all the above method we are trying to control Cyanobacteria and not remove it completely, Cyanobacteria is part of the ecosystem and it should be part of the tank.

Mods: I am planing to move my learnings to a different thread altogether and just keep this intro simple
welcome33.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers

Ecosystem:

Organism

Bacteria:
Cyanobacteria:

Third thing ,

Welcome! Glad you joined. Instead of literally HERE for your updated postings, instead let me share info they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

Hope those above tips help you PLUS give you bonus recognition - have you considered starting your build thread? It might be what you were expecting this to be, just in a different area of Forum (refer above link). I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Chicago:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread!
Agreed. A build thread even tho your not building yet would be a good place to record your journey. Mine is pitiful so don't use it as an example ;)

OH and

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi reefers

Ecosystem:

Organism

Bacteria:
Cyanobacteria:

Third thing ,

Welcome! Sounds like you've done a bit of research. Glad you're here! This is a great place to gain experience and to share our experiences!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back