New to saltwater, how to raise ph?

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from the UK!

I’ve just gotten into the hobby after a long time of wanting a nano tank. Everything seems to be going smoothly with salinity at 1.026 and ammonia, nitrites, nitrates being 0.

One issue: my ph is stubborn at 7.6ish despite alkalinity being between 8-9 as per fritz rpm salt being used.

To ensure co2 is minimised I’ve opened windows and angled return pumps as per most of what I’ve read (waiting on powerhead to arrive).

Wondering if there’s anything I can do, if it matters, as I’m at a loss from reading so much conflicting threads regarding baking soda, kalk etc.

Haven’t added any livestock as of yet and I’m leaning towards fish only for now.

Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from the UK!

I’ve just gotten into the hobby after a long time of wanting a nano tank. Everything seems to be going smoothly with salinity at 1.026 and ammonia, nitrites, nitrates being 0.

One issue: my ph is stubborn at 7.6ish despite alkalinity being between 8-9 as per fritz rpm salt being used.

To ensure co2 is minimised I’ve opened windows and angled return pumps as per most of what I’ve read (waiting on powerhead to arrive).

Wondering if there’s anything I can do, if it matters, as I’m at a loss from reading so much conflicting threads regarding baking soda, kalk etc.

Haven’t added any livestock as of yet and I’m leaning towards fish only for now.

Any help is appreciated!
Alkalinity in dKH for those wondering

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a ph problem, ever, in 30 years, over several tanks if not dozens of tanks. One thing I know, it's not a good idea to chase the ph numbers, by adding anything. I'm not sure how exactly people get there ph thrown off by what would be dangerous, at 7.6 you are just fine for a fowlr, they do recommend at least 8.0 for reefs, but I seen no problems, even at 7.7/7.8. Hobby test kits and our hobby testing practices don't lend to be 100% accurate either. So taking a few readings and even using a different brand test kit, will likely give you different readings. Some salt mixes takes a bit for the ph to equalize, so how long after you mixed the salt will matter as well. Possibly your water source may have an effect, I'm not sure how soft water or distilled water may effect, as how the ph in this water tends to quite low. Here's an article with some good advice: https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/dont-chase-the-ph

OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a ph problem, ever, in 30 years, over several tanks if not dozens of tanks. One thing I know, it's not a good idea to chase the ph numbers, by adding anything. I'm not sure how exactly people get there ph thrown off by what would be dangerous, at 7.6 you are just fine for a fowlr, they do recommend at least 8.0 for reefs, but I seen no problems, even at 7.7/7.8. Hobby test kits and our hobby testing practices don't lend to be 100% accurate either. So taking a few readings and even using a different brand test kit, will likely give you different readings. Some salt mixes takes a bit for the ph to equalize, so how long after you mixed the salt will matter as well. Possibly your water source may have an effect, I'm not sure how soft water or distilled water may effect, as how the ph in this water tends to quite low. Here's an article with some good advice: https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/dont-chase-the-ph
Thanks! I have incredibly soft water which I heard has a slightly lower PH around 7ish as a result of minerals being so low. This means I rely on the salt mix to bring calcium and other elements up to regular levels. Thanks for the advice!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun!!!
pics!!...we all love pics!!!!
check ph same time of day ,every time ,happy reefing

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So usually my ph is around 8.2 to 7.6 but i dont think my old school hanna checker is calibrated properly. With that said i also used calibration packets from neptune and also a Co2 scrubber fro brs, Honestly i dont think i have had any issues with PH since i started to dose Kalkwasser to my ATO. That sees to keep my ph,alk and calc to desired levels and stable as all get out So until my tank start to consume more than that i plan to run kalk on my DT with fuge. Maybe i would later sometime try a more mechanical approach.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome from the UK. Very friendly and knowledgeable folk on here, you will love it.
When do you take your PH readings? Mine fluctuate between 7.8-8.2 on a daily basis, don't go chasing numbers, if your alk and cal are fine then usually ph is fine.
A lot of people don't even test for ph.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome from the UK. Very friendly and knowledgeable folk on here, you will love it.
When do you take your PH readings? Mine fluctuate between 7.8-8.2 on a daily basis, don't go chasing numbers, if your alk and cal are fine then usually ph is fine.
I should have included that as well.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point, at what time of day relative to your light period are you taking readings. In the early morning it will be at its lowest and at end of day it will be at its highest. Not that you should chase pH numbers but still relevant.

OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
I would check pH with a different test kit or device. What are you using to measure pH now? Also, for how long are you mixing your salt and water before using it?
I’m using api saltwater master test kit and I leave a decent pump in a 10 litre bucket at a time for about 30 minutes until Mixed crystal clear:)

OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically evening when lights have been on a good few hours!

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give a longer mix a go and see if results change! Thanks!

I don't see this impacting a tank pH issue at all, and with some mixes, will lower the pH of the new salt water (which, in any case, has little bearing on tank pH).

OP
OP
S

Sethw2208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
change from last night to tonight from opening window and maximising agitation best I could! What would we say the second (darker) reading to be?
AB538A7A-9FCE-47B0-A917-E8E1129307E7.jpeg
B14CD5C0-A4B4-4840-9592-F73061789A24.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back