New to saltwater need help

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to donate my freshwater fish from my 36g bow front tank and will probably give away all my other freshwater accessories as well.

Things I have now to setup new tank:

Proper lighting blue/green/white with adjustable intensity and timers.
Aragonite alive sand.
3 medium sized dry rock.
Api saltwater test kit.
Api calcium test kit.
2 bottles of beneficial bacteria.
1 bottle of coraline seed.
For the powerhead I'm going to use my current 100g canister filter, the head has a split where the water comes out so I can divert it to create surface tension.
Air diffuser.
Proper tank lid for jumpers.
A heater.
2 vacuum tubes 1 manual for pumping into bucket and 1 auto for dumping into sink.
1 salt saline level refractor tester.
Instant ocean saltwater salt for salt mix.
Prime.

The only thing I don't have are any medications specifically meant for saltwater tanks, but I need them just in case. What other things do you guys recommend to startup a salt tank? I do have some cleaning supplies and nets from the freshwater stuff so I figure a good clean and I could use them again.

Please let me know lol thanks!!!

I plan on having 2 clowns and some gobies in there.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consider getting a redsea or sailfurt test kit. API is notoriously inaccurate in saltwater.

also consider getting a RODI filter, SW tanks cannot use tap water.

get a second heater and powerhead to mix and heat saltwater when doing WCs

Make sure to clean that canister super well and change all the media.

Make sure tank has 0 ammonia before adding any fish or inverts

additionally get some food for saltwater fish.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say much more rock, closer to a pound per gallon.
No need for coraline seed, it will take a long while before you see coraline.
Eventually you may want to look into a protein skimmer, extremely beneficial to any tank.
I would suggest to stop buying API brand of test kits, they are not super accurate like we need in the reef hobby.
Eventually you will want more powerheads, flow is important in a reef tank.
What is an air diffuser, is it like an airstone? You dont want that, that usually creates a lot of salt creep around the tank.

Looks like you're off to a good start, good luck.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find the best place to buy rodi water cause buying and expensive rodi filter is not in the cards right now.
I use this, its not too horribly priced. Your LFS probably will sell you RODI too. You can also use distilled like the kind you find at supermarkets (not the ones with minerals added, just plain distilled)

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this, its not too horribly priced. Your LFS probably will sell you RODI too. You can also use distilled like the kind you find at supermarkets (not the ones with minerals added, just plain distilled)
Yeah they sell the rodi water if you have 5 gal buckets. I know of one LFS who does it. But I want to start it now and add rocks in gradually so I can have it cycled by time I'm done getting more rock. I have so far 11 pounds of rock.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't going to purchase pre quarantined fish, I would go ahead and buy a spare tank, 10 gallon should work for your size fish, with a HOB filter ,heater etc. (doesn't have to be anything fancy) to have one hand to quarantine all incoming fish. Or at the very least, have one hand in case you need to set up a hospital tank to treat sick fish quickly. Also, a heater controller for the DT, like an inkbird, is a nice failsafe to help make sure you don't get caught with a failed heater.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they sell the rodi water if you have 5 gal buckets. I know of one LFS who does it. But I want to start it now and add rocks in gradually so I can have it cycled by time I'm done getting more rock. I have so far 11 pounds of rock.
Any food grade container works i know at least at most lfs. I ordered some off of amazon can normally find a 2 pack for pretty cheap can always add slowly or buy a few of them. I have 6 all together now does help having some handy just in case. You are well on your way but would def. Add more rock i know saltwateraquarium has a deal on dry rock 2.86 a pound might help save some money. As long as you are doing a fishless cycle (which you should) you can typically seed your rock in the tank with bact additives microbact7 is awesome. Good luck and hope everything turns out good. Came to the right place r2r is awesome. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/money-saver-aquarium-dry-live-rock-by-the-lb/
There is the website for the rock.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't going to purchase pre quarantined fish, I would go ahead and buy a spare tank, 10 gallon should work for your size fish, with a HOB filter ,heater etc. (doesn't have to be anything fancy) to have one hand to quarantine all incoming fish. Or at the very least, have one hand in case you need to set up a hospital tank to treat sick fish quickly. Also, a heater controller for the DT, like an inkbird, is a nice failsafe to help make sure you don't get caught with a failed heater.
I have a spare 10gal tank I can use for that and also I have digital temp gauges on both my current tanks. So a heater issue I can catch early on. I check them twice a day.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any food grade container works i know at least at most lfs. I ordered some off of amazon can normally find a 2 pack for pretty cheap can always add slowly or buy a few of them. I have 6 all together now does help having some handy just in case. You are well on your way but would def. Add more rock i know saltwateraquarium has a deal on dry rock 2.86 a pound might help save some money. As long as you are doing a fishless cycle (which you should) you can typically seed your rock in the tank with bact additives microbact7 is awesome. Good luck and hope everything turns out good. Came to the right place r2r is awesome. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/money-saver-aquarium-dry-live-rock-by-the-lb/
There is the website for the rock.
Yup I already have 3 food safe buckets and I just purchased 5 more. Enough for 40 gal. I have 2 different brands of beneficial bacteria I'm going to use both they both have great ratings. And yes I will do a no fish cycle. So I have time to get enough dry rock. I heard live rock brings parasites sometimes

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I already have 3 food safe buckets and I just purchased 5 more. Enough for 40 gal. I have 2 different brands of beneficial bacteria I'm going to use both they both and great ratings. And yes I will do a no fish cycle. So I have time to get enough dry rock. I heard live rock brings parasites sometimes
Sometimes yes i know a lot of people go dry rock for that reason on the otherhand some swear by live rock. You can ultimately use majority of it dry and add one or two pieces of live to help seed the other dry rock. Or just be patient and allow your dry rock to seed which you will then have live rock by the time your cycle is done as long as you cycle right. Its all about the beneficial bacteria.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find the best place to buy rodi water cause buying and expensive rodi filter is not in the cards right now.
I used to order these in groups of 30 or so for pickup from my local walmart. I got away with using this water for my tank for around a year until I decided to save my back, time, gas, etc and purchase a RODI unit from BRS
Edit, not sure why the link says 'robot or human' but will lead to walmart website.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to order these in groups of 30 or so for pickup from my local walmart. I got away with using this water for my tank for around a year until I decided to save my back, time, gas, etc and purchase a RODI unit from BRS
Edit, not sure why the link says 'robot or human' but will lead to walmart website.
I guess I'll try LFS first for rodi water or presalt mix water because I already have 8 5gal buckets lol

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont start sw tank untill u have all necessary equipment.
Thats why I'm asking the community what I should have. I got 8 5gal buckets for rodi water. I need 25 more pounds of dry rock. And I need to invest in saltwater tank medicine and some saltwater tank foods.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure u need medicine, rather get decent ro unit.....

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No judging, i was saying, way before u will need any medicament or aditive, you need ro unit.

So why not start with thing you really need, instead if things you may need one day....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back