New to saltwater Red Sea 130

Sumguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had freshwater aquariums since I was a kid. I have kept all kind of freshwater fish and have enjoyed the hobby. Recently I decided to get a saltwater tank. I found a used Red Sea 130 (34 gal I think). I’ve been told that this may be on the small side of what most would recommend for a beginner.

I have a plan and before I spend a bunch of money and time possibly going down the wrong path I would like to run it by you all.

My ultimate goal for live stock is 2 clowns, a clean up crew, yasha goby and pistol shrimp, and some coral. I’m more partial to soft corals that sway with the current. I would love a mandarin goby, but don’t think I could feed it long term without somewhere to keep copepods.

I want to go with pukani. Dry from brs I think. I am planning on bleaching it and then dry curing it. Once that is done and ready I will begin to cylcle the tank. For substrate I plan on special grade Carib Sea pink mixed with some crushed coral. Will this be ok for the pistol shrimp and goby?

For lighting the tank already has an upgraded led kit installed in the hood (Rapid Led brand?) I don’t know much about lighting in general but it has blue, white, and maybe redish? All three have separate dimmers.

For water circulation the tank comes with 2 return pumps and I’m thinking about getting a ecotech vortec mp10. If anyone has any input or recommendations I would appreciate it. I’ve only used very basic power heads for freshwater. Would like something programmable.

I have a heater, the Red Sea skimmer, and a chiller (it gets hot here in the summer). I ordered a Rodi unit.

I hope to have the tank set up within a couple months.

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome. Anything I may be missing?

Thank you.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
zOk7nol.gif
#WelcometoR2R

A red sea 130 is a great size to start. Always go with what you're comfortable with :)

swedishreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had freshwater aquariums since I was a kid. I have kept all kind of freshwater fish and have enjoyed the hobby. Recently I decided to get a saltwater tank. I found a used Red Sea 130 (34 gal I think). I’ve been told that this may be on the small side of what most would recommend for a beginner.

I have a plan and before I spend a bunch of money and time possibly going down the wrong path I would like to run it by you all.

My ultimate goal for live stock is 2 clowns, a clean up crew, yasha goby and pistol shrimp, and some coral. I’m more partial to soft corals that sway with the current. I would love a mandarin goby, but don’t think I could feed it long term without somewhere to keep copepods.

I want to go with pukani. Dry from brs I think. I am planning on bleaching it and then dry curing it. Once that is done and ready I will begin to cylcle the tank. For substrate I plan on special grade Carib Sea pink mixed with some crushed coral. Will this be ok for the pistol shrimp and goby?

For lighting the tank already has an upgraded led kit installed in the hood (Rapid Led brand?) I don’t know much about lighting in general but it has blue, white, and maybe redish? All three have separate dimmers.

For water circulation the tank comes with 2 return pumps and I’m thinking about getting a ecotech vortec mp10. If anyone has any input or recommendations I would appreciate it. I’ve only used very basic power heads for freshwater. Would like something programmable.

I have a heater, the Red Sea skimmer, and a chiller (it gets hot here in the summer). I ordered a Rodi unit.

I hope to have the tank set up within a couple months.

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome. Anything I may be missing?

Thank you.
130 sounds great [emoji4][emoji106] sure the bigger the more stabile water but also more to clean and more water to mix for water changes witch both costs and takes some time. If you would need to make a big water change you could mix enough water pretty fast for a 130l. (btw i think some breed mandarin goby actually eats froozen foods)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back