New to Saltwater!! Should I go throught with the purchase?

Sebastian A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been looking to get into the saltwater hobby for a while now and have been doing a lot of research, and came here for some opinions!

I was surfing craigslist and found a used Nuvo 20, the purchased would come with the tank, a bit of rock and sand, a Fluval 306 Canister filter, a BRS stage 4 RODI system, and some instant ocean reef salt. ( and a diy stand)

-I know a 20 gallon is small to start but I'm restricted on space.
- I know canister filters aren't really used on saltwater but I do have freshwater tanks it can be used on.
- My plan is to start with a FOWLR tank and slowly convet into a reef.

It's up for $120 but think I can lower it down some
Any opinions would help!

Resized_20191026_084548.jpg Resized_20191026_084859.jpg 00000_lWsuvA32uKT_600x450.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assuming that nothing is tore up, the glass isn't all scratched up, etc. it sounds like a very good deal - like @crabcore mentioned a leak test is a very good idea.

...and Welcome to R2R!!!

#WelcometoR2R

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good deal if you're after a nano.

That said if you have room and want a larger tank, if you search a bit large tanks often come up for around the same price because people just want them gone.

I kind of regret not going the used route. Theres currently reef ready tanks ranging from 30 gallons to 90 going for slightly more than my nuvo 10 cost new.

But if you're set on a 20 gallon I'd make a deal with him for that tank.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really great deal. Check it out, see if it leaks, and get it. Don't use the canister though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Super deal. Just assure it doesn’t leak

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby! Sounds like a good deal to me if everything checks out. There are quite a few people using canisters for their marine tanks, (also just HOB filters) too. You'll just have to pay attention to your maintenance schedule on it to keep it from giving you crazy amounts of nutrients.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real good deal. You'd be fortunate to find a used RODI for that price.
All that little stuff.. glass scraper magnets, fish nets, a water change siphon... they're $20 a piece, easy.
Even if you never use that actual tank and filter for anything other than a qt, it's still a good deal.

I see it has a cover too! another $50 you won't have to spend.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal as everybody says. Thing with a 20 gal tank to start is that parameter fluctuations could be more drastic than in larger water volume tanks.
Its 100% viable, but you have to be patience and carefull when adding livestock and when performing water changes.
Congrats and happy reefing!

Last edited:

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good deal.
If you decide to get a bigger tank later, it would be a great QT set-up. I paid more than that setting up my QT piece by piece.
The canister filter, if properly maintained, can be quite effective. They are only a problem when detritus is allowed to build up and decompose.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's with all the canister filter hate?? I would definately use it at least until you can upgrade to a better set up. Just make sure you clean it regularly

OP
OP
S

Sebastian A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191112_193408_01.gif

That's a good deal. You can run a canister for a filter. I run fluval fx4 on a 75g tank. That's a good deal even if the tank leaks. PetSmart us running $1 gal deal right now.
Hey Man!!! Just went through with the deal luckily it was still there got if for 90$ and it turned out to be a Nuvo 25 lagoon!!! Saw that you run your tank with a Canister and was wondering how you did yours the one I got have came with carbon and a sponge will that work? The back of the tank has also biorings and filter floss too should I use that? Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
S

Sebastian A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good deal if you're after a nano.

That said if you have room and want a larger tank, if you search a bit large tanks often come up for around the same price because people just want them gone.

I kind of regret not going the used route. Theres currently reef ready tanks ranging from 30 gallons to 90 going for slightly more than my nuvo 10 cost new.

But if you're set on a 20 gallon I'd make a deal with him for that tank.

Hey Man!!! Just went through with the deal luckily it was still there got if for 90$ and it turned out to be a Nuvo 25 lagoon!!! I know it's still kind of small but any tips you have would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in Advanced!!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Man!!! Just went through with the deal luckily it was still there got if for 90$ and it turned out to be a Nuvo 25 lagoon!!! I know it's still kind of small but any tips you have would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in Advanced!!
Way to go!!!! Welcome to R2R!!!!! We are all here to help for sure!!!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back