New to saltwater tank, starting with Fluval Evo 13.5. Thoughts on this setup?

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater tank, I’ll be starting with Fluval Evo 13.5 running on these upgrades. Thoughts? What else do I need?
Lights - AI Prime 16HD
Pump - Sicce 1.0 Pump
Wavemaker - Hygger Mini 1600gph
Heater - Hygger 100w Titanium Heater
inTank media baskets
VCA Random flow generator.
ATO?

Thoughts? Recommendations? What else do I need? Thanks
you’ll need a new lid if you’re running ai prime. the only changes i’ve made to mine were adding a filter sock to chamber 1 (activated carbon and gfo) and adding a protein skimmer (i carbon dose). i would recommend upgrading stock lights if you want sps or any high preference light coral :)

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

One thing to keep in mind is, it looks like your scape is touching/glued to the back wall of the tank? If so, it will provide the GSP an opportunity to jump on to your rocks and overtake them. You'll need to either carefully watch and manage it, or separate the scape from the back wall

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

One thing to keep in mind is, it looks like your scape is touching/glued to the back wall of the tank? If so, it will provide the GSP an opportunity to jump on to your rocks and overtake them. You'll need to either carefully watch and manage it, or separate the scape from the back wall
This was my first thought as well. GSP is Not easy to remove once gets on the rocks. Ask me how I know :angry-face:.

OP
OP
islandstonashville

islandstonashville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E06F7B45-D45E-4739-A19C-79510C73475C.jpeg

I did a little project yesterday by adding refugium. It came with copepods and amphipods. I tried to resist temptation but there I was purchased more corals.

SaltyLisaKay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7958CB6-4F8A-47C4-8D3E-6AC5C55F6523.jpeg
A7958CB6-4F8A-47C4-8D3E-6AC5C55F6523.jpeg

Lil Update.

So finally got most of my stuff. Sucks Amazon stole/mishandled my cabinet for this tank. Started planning on how my rock goes. Got 2 box of Caribsea LifeRock 10lbs.

Still waiting on my heater and pump. I went ahead with Cobalt Neotherm Pro 75w heater and Sicce 1.0 pump. Can’t wait to start cycling the tank this weekend.
I have been enjoying my Evo 13.5 for about 10 years total with a few restarts. Right now I have a wave maker on low, bio balls in the 2nd chamber and a small canister filter and heater in chamber 3. I tried the InTank and didn’t like the flow (or lack of). Finally… in the first chamber I found a skimmer that fits and lasts (looking at you PS2…not!) I found the IceCap Nano and love it! Does a great job! No way to adjust it except moving it higher or lower in the chamber but really nice equipment. Babies are: a small BTA and mushrooms, cleanup crew, clown, cardinal, pincushion urchin and finally a hilarious six line wrasse. Trust me I knock on wood everyday! They are all less than/equal to an inch and get along super. Sorry about the the long post… first time poster and excited to be here.

Last edited:

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater tank, I’ll be starting with Fluval Evo 13.5 running on these upgrades. Thoughts? What else do I need?
Lights - AI Prime 16HD
Pump - Sicce 1.0 Pump
Wavemaker - Hygger Mini 1600gph
Heater - Hygger 100w Titanium Heater
inTank media baskets
VCA Random flow generator.
ATO?

Thoughts? Recommendations? What else do I need? Thanks
I would say your on the right track. I also have the EVO 13.5 tank and will say its a great tank for those that can keep their saltwater addiction to a smaller scale. One thing I will mention is the Sicce 1.0 with the Hygger is going to make waves in the tank. I had to go with the Sicce .5 and dial back the power setting on the Hygger so it wasn't a tornado in there. Also, placement of the Hygger is key to get a nice reciprocating action in the tank.

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use an inkbird on my Evo either. Although I use a 50 Watt Eheim heater. So if mine malfunctioned, it could probably cause some issues. I just hope that doesn't happen and will deal with it if it does.

Live Dangerously Austin Powers GIF

However, I don't have a lot of expensive livestock or coral in that tank. I use a inkbird on my biocube though.

I like your suggestion of using 2 smaller ones if you aren't going to use the inkbird. If you are going to use one properly sized and have livestock that be hurt the wallet, if the worst happened. I would recommend getting something as a fail safe......
Freezing down here in Melbourne Australia, i’ve had to resort to a 100w jager on a 15gallon WB. way over powered but the room it’s in doesn’t stay warm over night.

rikweller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 13.5 with stock pump and ps2 skimmer, chamber 2 now houses my heater but this is being changed to a smaller one to fit with the pump to allow media basket to fit in chamber 2, have removed the stock lid and fitted a mesh top but still utilising the original lamp, my Duncan seems to enjoy the light and Zoa frag is doing well, I also have a small wave maker to aid the flow around the tank.

Attachments

• 20220730_180812.jpg
    20220730_180812.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
islandstonashville

islandstonashville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 13.5 with stock pump and ps2 skimmer, chamber 2 now houses my heater but this is being changed to a smaller one to fit with the pump to allow media basket to fit in chamber 2, have removed the stock lid and fitted a mesh top but still utilising the original lamp, my Duncan seems to enjoy the light and Zoa frag is doing well, I also have a small wave maker to aid the flow around the tank.
Are you planning on adding fishes? what lid is that?

Blue Chromiis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos aren't not complicated to start and for long term, I just started mine about a week ago and its been 3-4 yrs since I had my last reef tank.
My equipment required was small and quick setup. This was same set up I used 3-4 yrs ago.
but there still some equipment I need to install mouths to come.

Attachments

• IMG_9327.JPG
    IMG_9327.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 65

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back