New to saltwater tanks (opinions encouraged)

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, ive had freshwater tanks my whole life and enjoy every moment of it. However I have recently taken the plunge into Saltwater reefing back in August of 2020. I started with a 40 gallon breeder and all was going well once it finally cycled. Probably had the 40B running cycle for a month then bought a 75 gallon from someone local and kept it cycled and that tank is thriving but still wasnt enough. Recently took a trip and purchased 265 gallon setup ( didnt want to go this big but it was a good price IMO) it has not been setup yet and i am super stoked to see how it turns out. The lighting and what not for it needs to be upgraded badly as well as the return pumps, i also think the sump is rather small for this tank but i could be wrong. A lot of work ahead of me to get the 265 set up effectively im sure. And any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-In the 40B i had a 5 year old clown fish
-Upgraded to the 75 and I now I have 3 clowns a brown tang, a kole tang, and a yellow tang. 2x cleaner shrimp and a sand sifting star fish with 2 hatian anemonies ( soon to get rid of from what ive read)
-The 265 came with a tomatoe clown, a hawkfish, a lawnmower blenny( i think), and 2x lemon damsel( previous owner told me they would kill any new fish added so im not sure what to do there) all these fish are currently being housed in the 40B as my QT tank.

Thank you for your time!

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, go big or go home. You may have already done it but I really like the BRS TV 52 weeks of reefing series, even though it’s a little out of date. The five minute series is also good. Welcome to reef2reef. You might want to put this under the greeting category you’ll get more responses

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, go big or go home. You may have already done it but I really like the BRS TV 52 weeks of reefing series, even though it’s a little out of date. The five minute series is also good. Welcome to reef2reef. You might want to put this under the greeting category you’ll get more responses
I have only watched a few of the 5 minute videos, but i will have to watch the full series for sure maybe there are some questions i dont have yet that can be answered thanks!
i hear beaufort is a nice town?
It is nice and quiet, i just moved here november of 2019

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds exciting times ahead and if you need any help just shout out. Maybe start a build thread as well.

You may find this useful

And Welcome to R2R!!!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Estringer92 welcome to R2R! Wow that's quite the progression from 40 to 265! And it seems like you've got a great group of fish as well. I really don't have much to offer in terms of trying to get all of the fish into the 265 -- perhaps a large acclimation box and adding a couple of fish at a time will help reduce the problem with the damsels.

I've been here a bit more than a year and the group is really helpful. So ask your questions!

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds exciting times ahead and if you need any help just shout out. Maybe start a build thread as well.

You may find this useful

And Welcome to R2R!!!
Thanks for the info! Saved the link to read over when im not at work.
@Estringer92 welcome to R2R! Wow that's quite the progression from 40 to 265! And it seems like you've got a great group of fish as well. I really don't have much to offer in terms of trying to get all of the fish into the 265 -- perhaps a large acclimation box and adding a couple of fish at a time will help reduce the problem with the damsels.

I've been here a bit more than a year and the group is really helpful. So ask your questions!
Thank you for the welcoming.... Acclimation will really have an effect on the damsels aggression toward my newer / smaller fish? Ive read that i should get rid of the larger damsel as it will always be an issue. I do not have a photo of the fish from the 265 currently but i will post one soon. 2 of my clowns are barely a month old so they are tiny, I would hate to throw them in together just to become a meal.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the channel.

WOW, you have a lot going on. Here is some more good read...not really knowing what you need but when possible, showing pictures can be helpfull.

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resized_20201227_103415.jpeg
Screenshot_20210108-115207_Facebook.jpg

Hello and welcome to the channel.

WOW, you have a lot going on. Here is some more good read...not really knowing what you need but when possible, showing pictures can be helpfull.

This is my 75. It is an old picture, i have much better and more equipment for it now. Everything in that picture was from the 40B. The 265 is not set up currently jist picked it up a couple days ago, did a light cleaning of the tank and im resealing the corners just to be safe( the tank is at least 6 years old and silicone looks chewed up) that is how the previous owner had it set up. Thank you for the link!

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice upgrade!!
Rearrange your rock work and add the damsel last will help on aggression. However, you can also trade in the damsels to your LFS if you don't want to keep them.
Thank you for the advice! Ill try it but if he get to cocky ill have to donate him to the LFS like you said. Yea this tanks aquascape is going to get a makeover, i just have so many large rocks its gonna be tough! Im not very artistic haha.... happy reefing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back