New to saltwater. Tips to preventing nasties?

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have kept freshwater tanks for a while and decided to try my luck in salt. i have been cycling my 20g long nano tank for a few weeks now. I put a 20lb bag of Caribsea live sand with about 30 lbs of live rock. 2 480gph pumps. I have an RODI unit. My only stocking ideas right now are a pair of designer clowns. I do have an aqueon 75 sitting around I could use as some sort of mechanical filter. Any tips on what else I may need? An affordable light for softies in the future? I've read about using phosguard to avoid algae in new tanks. Any help is sincerely appreciated. I've done tons of research I would just like some input.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have kept freshwater tanks for a while and decided to try my luck in salt. i have been cycling my 20g long nano tank for a few weeks now. I put a 20lb bag of Caribsea live sand with about 30 lbs of live rock. 2 480gph pumps. I have an RODI unit. My only stocking ideas right now are a pair of designer clowns. I do have an aqueon 75 sitting around I could use as some sort of mechanical filter. Any tips on what else I may need? An affordable light for softies in the future? I've read about using phosguard to avoid algae in new tanks. Any help is sincerely appreciated. I've done tons of research I would just like some input.
Do you have a sump? Also, no matter what you do, the tank will go through an ugly stage. It’s part of the cycle. Expect algae, diatoms, and other stuff to appear until the tank is stable. What are your nitrate and phosphate numbers? You’ll want to make sure you don’t zero them out in an effort to keep the tank clean. Been there, done that, and I got cyano, dinos, and something else that looked like fur! Good luck and ask a lot of questions!

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
What kind of filtration do you have? Also, depending upon what you want to keep, a powerhead will be useful.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
What kind of filtration do you have? Also, depending upon what you want to keep, a powerhead will be useful.
At the moment just a hob aqueon 75 and powerheads. Don't know what else I could use

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here
open 24-7
pics are required....lol ..we all love pics

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to avoid the uglies altogether, do so.

lift out your rocks, scrape or kill brush off anything you don’t want, work around what you do want as a nontarget. Set rocks back in

so simple, vs wrecking your tank.

Read up to date cycling threads that don’t permit the uglies phase, that way you aren’t waiting eighteen months to start enjoying the reef.
It is one option of two to purposefully do nothing as various successions invade your tank, and decide the happy date for you. The other option is to not do any of that

25191274-D795-4986-B47B-016EC93DBCCF.jpeg

be Paul Jr

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this, a roadmap to not uglies + coral + not waiting months

he‘s already stocked a bounce mushroom check out his feed and water change willingness.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back