New to Saltwater

annahhayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have an empty 29gal tank that was gifted to me recently and wanted to try salt water. I’ve had freshwater aquariums for years so I’m used to the water testing and all that kinda of stuff. My original plan was seahorses because that is my dream fish and want to have a tank someday but after researching I don’t believe I want to start out with something so fragile until I figure things out a little more. With that being said, with the size of my tank what are some hardy fish thay I could add? Is it too small for a reef tank? I would eventually like to buy a huge tank but since this one was free I thought I’d try it out and see if I like it before buying anything huge

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! I have an empty 29gal tank that was gifted to me recently and wanted to try salt water. I’ve had freshwater aquariums for years so I’m used to the water testing and all that kinda of stuff. My original plan was seahorses because that is my dream fish and want to have a tank someday but after researching I don’t believe I want to start out with something so fragile until I figure things out a little more. With that being said, with the size of my tank what are some hardy fish thay I could add? Is it too small for a reef tank? I would eventually like to buy a huge tank but since this one was free I thought I’d try it out and see if I like it before buying anything huge

welcome to R2R!!! I am partial to clownfish, but there are several options for fish. It is important to figure out filtration, flow, lighting, and cycling the tank. Good luck!

#WelcometoR2R

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I'm sure you'll get great advise. I do know that 29g is in no way too small for a beautiful reef!
Check out some of the other member tanks. You'll be inspired and amazed.

spockwelcome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the idea of clownfish! Would it be too small for any more fish?

There will likely be a range of answers to your question and here are my thoughts : if you were to select ocellaris or percula clownfish then you could add a few more small community fish such as three Banggai cardinals. If you select larger clownfish species like Maroons then I would tend to stick with just that one pair. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

annahhayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29G isn't too small for a reef tank, but I would suggest getting familiar with saltwater before you start purchasing corals. For fish you could have a couple clowns with an anemone in that size tank. Several online sellers have a 'nano' section with good fish selections.
How hard is it to care for an anemone?

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome...Really great to have you as part of the R2R Family.....Explore...Learn....Share

gdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Tip Anemone's are easy to care for. They do require good lighting and flow. If they're paired with a clownfish, you don't have to worry about feeding them since the fish will bring them food. If they're not paired, you should feed them a couple times a week.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all...I love it when a person new comes to the forum and says that they have been doing research. That is exactly how you end up with a beautiful tank. :) I've always started with a clown (as mentioned by others) because they are fun to watch, colorful, and relatively hardy. Here are a couple links with nano tank suggestions. I would start with the least aggressive and as you fill up tank, finish with the most aggressive. Beware of Dottybacks/Pseudochromis (same thing). They are small and gorgeous but they are bullies -- heck they are just plain evil. Have fun and welcome aboard!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is generally suggested that you wait until your tank if fully established before you add an anemone. Some say wait six months and others say a year -- I know, it sucks. I would wait a year because I live on the cautious side. Others may have different opinions -- that is the fun part of a forum. But keep in mind that if the anemone dies and you don't catch it in time or if it floats into a powerhead, it will go nuclear and emit toxins that can kill everything. I like anemones and have kept them healthy. They are especially fun when a clown chooses it.

OP
OP
A

annahhayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is generally suggested that you wait until your tank if fully established before you add an anemone. Some say wait six months and others say a year -- I know, it sucks. I would wait a year because I live on the cautious side. Others may have different opinions -- that is the fun part of a forum. But keep in mind that if the anemone dies and you don't catch it in time or if it floats into a powerhead, it will go nuclear and emit toxins that can kill everything. I like anemones and have kept them healthy. They are especially fun when a clown chooses it.
I will definitely wait to add ANYthing to the tank before it is well established, even if that means looking at an empty tank with a rock in it for a year. I like the idea of urchins or starfish too. Would those be able to thrive in a 29?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Good colorful fish in a 29 clowns, royal Gramma, clown gobies, watchman gobies are some that jump to mind.
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif

Back