New to saltwater

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased an 81L aquarium that is suitable for marine or tropical fish I already have two tropical aquariums so I have decided to start my first marine aquarium I already have a heater , filter , separate quarantine tank , background , the tank , lights , a lid and a stand . I am thinking of stocking with 2 clownfish a small starfish and maybe one or two corals further down the line I am just wondering what types of clownfish and starfish and corals would be best I want an ananome ( sorry about spelling) but maybe some other corals would be nice aswell I am going to get my water from the local fish shop if I can and I have some questions
Do I really need a protein skimmer?
Do I need a sump for a smaller aquarium ?
What is an overflow?
What type of rock would be best to make the time from set up to adding fish shortest?(I know the cycling process can take a lot longer than freshwater tanks)
How long approximately will the cycling take? ( from adding water to adding fish and corals)
What types of sand is best ?
Can it go in a conservatory or is there to much sunlight ?
I hope some of you can help me and maybe provide me withsome extra tips and advice

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube is your best friend. Lots of detailed info on there. Best recommendation, don’t cheap out on things or think YOU can get away with x,y,z, pick someone that you like their tank and listen to them.
Already watched a couple YouTube videos and I quite enjoy reaserching so will defo watch some more

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! There’s lots of reading to be done. While this hobby is not cheap and not easy, it doesn’t mean that you can’t do it. Here’s a guide that’s useful.

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased an 81L aquarium that is suitable for marine or tropical fish I already have two tropical aquariums so I have decided to start my first marine aquarium I already have a heater , filter , separate quarantine tank , background , the tank , lights , a lid and a stand . I am thinking of stocking with 2 clownfish a small starfish and maybe one or two corals further down the line I am just wondering what types of clownfish and starfish and corals would be best I want an ananome ( sorry about spelling) but maybe some other corals would be nice aswell I am going to get my water from the local fish shop if I can and I have some questions
What is an overflow?
What type of rock would be best to make the time from set up to adding fish shortest?(I know the cycling process can take a lot longer than freshwater tanks)
How long approximately will the cycling take? ( from adding water to adding fish and corals)
I hope some of you can help me and maybe provide me withsome extra tips and advice

Yes, a protein skimmer is the primary filtration on a saltwater tank. It removes bad stuff before it can turn into worse stuff.

You are probably alright without a sump. All a sump does is add more water the system, which makes things more stable, and gives you a place to put your heater, protein skimmer, and anything else.

What is an overflow?
An overflow is where water flows from your main tank to your sump. In larger tanks, the overflow is drilled through the bottom glass. Some people also use hang on the back overflows which do basically the same thing but aren't as pretty.

There are two main ways of doing this. Live rock and dry rock. Live rock is rock pulled from the ocean filled with all sorts of beneficial bacteria. However, many people choose to begin with dry rock because it ensures no pests come in with the live rock. It is slower but safer.

Usually around six weeks. It's a grueling wait, but its important not to rush things.

It won't necessarily hurt the tank, but the algae will have a field. Usually you setup a tank away from windows so you can better control the light it recieves.

About the anemone, those are a tricky critter and even advanced hobbyists struggle with them. They are really sensitive to water and light quality. A better alterative might be a hammer coral or a frong spawn coral. The clowns won't host it, but it will give you a similar look and it's a bit easier to manage. (Not easy, but easier than an anemone.) What sort of light are you using? Not all lights are powerful enough for coral.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a protein skimmer is the primary filtration on a saltwater tank. It removes bad stuff before it can turn into worse stuff.

You are probably alright without a sump. All a sump does is add more water the system, which makes things more stable, and gives you a place to put your heater, protein skimmer, and anything else.

What is an overflow?
An overflow is where water flows from your main tank to your sump. In larger tanks, the overflow is drilled through the bottom glass. Some people also use hang on the back overflows which do basically the same thing but aren't as pretty.

There are two main ways of doing this. Live rock and dry rock. Live rock is rock pulled from the ocean filled with all sorts of beneficial bacteria. However, many people choose to begin with dry rock because it ensures no pests come in with the live rock. It is slower but safer.

Usually around six weeks. It's a grueling wait, but its important not to rush things.

It won't necessarily hurt the tank, but the algae will have a field. Usually you setup a tank away from windows so you can better control the light it recieves.

About the anemone, those are a tricky critter and even advanced hobbyists struggle with them. They are really sensitive to water and light quality. A better alterative might be a hammer coral or a frong spawn coral. The clowns won't host it, but it will give you a similar look and it's a bit easier to manage. (Not easy, but easier than an anemone.) What sort of light are you using? Not all lights are powerful enough for coral.
Thank you so much this was very helpful so I need an overflow ? And for my light I am not sure as I bought a used tank setup so I will have to ask the seller and get back to you as soon as I can
Also is the protein skimmer in the picture the right thing ?

F335B603-A5DD-4070-B8D4-63470F563A8C.jpeg

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a marine newbie also comming from a freshie background. And I am 4 months into it. So just some newbie things I have freshly learnt. So I am just going on a rant;)

You dont need a skimmer.......but really you do and as good (big) as you can afford. If aethetics is impotant to you running a sump may be a good idea as you can hide the skimmer and other stuff down there
Conservatory..........NO! as fishkeepinginasia said Algae will love it. You need a very GOOD marine light. And dont run it while cycling. Even better to cover it whilst cycling
You Can speed cycling up with doctor Tims
BUY ALL TEST KITS NOW Amonia, nitrite, nitrate, Kh. PH, Phospate.............Later calcium if you have corals. I thought I would be able to do manual Po4 tests.........Nuh you probably need a sophisticated kit like hanna for that. Buy an optical refractometer.
And have a look at your budget, do not underestimate how much this hobby will cost you, but luckilly you are working off the back of a freshy system so that will help, but again do not underestimate how much a marine tank will cost.
Lighting and flow...................justs for basics you will very likley require some power heads at least (2) Sicce would be a good choice.
Lighting.......buy the best you can afford and definately lighting where you can adjust the spectrum. I would guess you would need to spend about 200 pounds worth on lighting. Try to avoid the Chinese cheap stuff but if you need a budget light from china Coral box moon would be a good choice if you are OK with phone apps.

To sum up my experience so far....................keeping freshwater fish is easy (unless you are into Cyclids) Keeping corals is a whole new kettle of fish (Pun intended) and will take your understanding of water parameters to a complete other level.

After saying all that I have been close to tears twice, and exhaused after comming home from a long day at work and spending night after night doing things I HAVE to do to get things on track, working on weekends 30 trips to aquarium shops, 20 trips to hardware and plumbing shops. You will have dissapointment......................but one day when the planets align and your phosphates come out at 0.04 your ph is on target along with everything else............and you see you are not just keeping corals but growing them you will sit down in front of your tank in the late evening and realise it is 3 in the morning.....heaven:) thats what it was like for me anyway

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a marine newbie also comming from a freshie background. And I am 4 months into it. So just some newbie things I have freshly learnt. So I am just going on a rant;)

You dont need a skimmer.......but really you do and as good (big) as you can afford. If aethetics is impotant to you running a sump may be a good idea as you can hide the skimmer and other stuff down there
Conservatory..........NO! as fishkeepinginasia said Algae will love it. You need a very GOOD marine light. And dont run it while cycling. Even better to cover it whilst cycling
You Can speed cycling up with doctor Tims
BUY ALL TEST KITS NOW Amonia, nitrite, nitrate, Kh. PH, Phospate.............Later calcium if you have corals. I thought I would be able to do manual Po4 tests.........Nuh you probably need a sophisticated kit like hanna for that. Buy an optical refractometer.
And have a look at your budget, do not underestimate how much this hobby will cost you, but luckilly you are working off the back of a freshy system so that will help, but again do not underestimate how much a marine tank will cost.
Lighting and flow...................justs for basics you will very likley require some power heads at least (2) Sicce would be a good choice.
Lighting.......buy the best you can afford and definately lighting where you can adjust the spectrum. I would guess you would need to spend about 200 pounds worth on lighting. Try to avoid the Chinese cheap stuff but if you need a budget light from china Coral box moon would be a good choice if you are OK with phone apps.

To sum up my experience so far....................keeping freshwater fish is easy (unless you are into Cyclids) Keeping corals is a whole new kettle of fish (Pun intended) and will take your understanding of water parameters to a complete other level.

After saying all that I have been close to tears twice, and exhaused after comming home from a long day at work and spending night after night doing things I HAVE to do to get things on track, working on weekends 30 trips to aquarium shops, 20 trips to hardware and plumbing shops. You will have dissapointment......................but one day when the planets align and your phosphates come out at 0.04 your ph is on target along with everything else............and you see you are not just keeping corals but growing them you will sit down in front of your tank in the late evening and realise it is 3 in the morning.....heaven:) thats what it was like for me anyway
This was sooo helpful to hear from someone who is new here aswell thank you is the Dr Tim’s in the picture the right thing and is that enough for a 81Litre ?

D7D76228-5E24-4FE2-9221-BAA5E469223E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a bit more research and I like the sound of two clownfish , one sand sifting starfish and I’m not sure what else to do for stocking any ideas I like emerald crabs but I’m not sure ?im going to have sand as a substrate and get dry rock

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Emma have a look at this

Then you can make your own mind up on Dr Tims approach

I am jealous, cant get emerald crabs in Australia they are illegal. Great choice for algae which you are 90% going to get as "new tank syndrome" they will aslo take good care of bubble algae which is such a bonus;)

Last edited:

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an overflow?
Welcome to Reef2Reef! :) Lets answer your question:

As a recommendation get a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) for their hardiness, awesome looks and the variety of clowns they host. I would recommend Ocellaris as they are really hardy, cool, and cute. They do host BTAs in captivity.

No, you don't need a protein skimmer but they are so helpful, they oxygenate the water, take out some really small particles and are just so helpful.

No, you don't need a sump, yes it has advantages but no you don't.

An overflow is what you need for a sump, its hard to explain, watch youtube videos.

Cycling with any rock: 4-7 weeks and I would use real reef rock. A piece of live rock would be good to have a bit of a kick start to.

DO NOT get a and Sifting Starfish, they require heaps of microfauna to survive. I would recommend a multiflora lincktia (These are somewhat hardy but small), Pink Tiled Starfish, or even a Blue Lincktia but I wouldn't recommend this as they are hard to keep.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, unlike other anemones, BTA can be put in a tank at about 3 months as they are really hardy but do be patient. Clowns can host corals but in some cases, they can harass the coral to death, just be patient with a BTA.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! :) Lets answer your question:

As a recommendation get a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) for their hardiness, awesome looks and the variety of clowns they host. I would recommend Ocellaris as they are really hardy, cool, and cute. They do host BTAs in captivity.

No, you don't need a protein skimmer but they are so helpful, they oxygenate the water, take out some really small particles and are just so helpful.

No, you don't need a sump, yes it has advantages but no you don't.

An overflow is what you need for a sump, its hard to explain, watch youtube videos.

Cycling with any rock: 4-7 weeks and I would use real reef rock. A piece of live rock would be good to have a bit of a kick start to.

DO NOT get a and Sifting Starfish, they require heaps of microfauna to survive. I would recommend a multiflora lincktia (These are somewhat hardy but small), Pink Tiled Starfish, or even a Blue Lincktia but I wouldn't recommend this as they are hard to keep.
Thank you for the warning on starfish I much prefer the look of the pink tiled starfish and I’m happy to know they will do better in my tank BT anenomes sound and look great I will do some more research on them and will a pink tiled starfish be good tankmates with two or three emerald crabs and some kind of snails

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, unlike other anemones, BTA can be put in a tank at about 3 months as they are really hardy but do be patient. Clowns can host corals but in some cases, they can harass the coral to death, just be patient with a BTA.
I have seen that my tank is large enough for a pin coushion sea urchin would you recommended one for me or not ?

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much this was very helpful so I need an overflow ? And for my light I am not sure as I bought a used tank setup so I will have to ask the seller and get back to you as soon as I can
Also is the protein skimmer in the picture the right thing ?

F335B603-A5DD-4070-B8D4-63470F563A8C.jpeg
Happy to help. Be sure to post photos! The picture you send is a type of overflow for a sump. A protein skimmer looks more like this. For an aquarium your size you can get a hang on the back skimmer.

qq5_600x6002.jpg

qq5_600x6002.jpg

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Emma have a look at this

Then you can make your own mind up on Dr Tims approach

I am jealous, cant get emerald crabs in Australia they are illegal. Great choice for algae which you are 90% going to get as "new tank syndrome" they will aslo take good care of bubble algae which is such a bonus;)

Hi thank you that didn’t really answer my question on how much I need for 81 litres though

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help. Be sure to post photos! The picture you send is a type of overflow for a sump. A protein skimmer looks more like this. For an aquarium your size you can get a hang on the back skimmer.

qq5_600x6002.jpg

qq5_600x6002.jpg
Oh thank you I will have a look then for ones like that

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Emma I do not feel qualified to give detailed addvice. "Give a girl a fish she will eat for a day, teach a girl to fish she will eat for life"

I hope you will get the analogy;)

Back