OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. Its not to accurate, what corals do you plan on keeping? Also with a starfish, you do need to remember stability.
I know I want a BTA but I haven’t really done much other research into corals yet but I like the look of giant green polyp and taro tree coral
Do you mean like stability in your levels ? Is it better to wait a few months until the tank is better established before adding sea stars ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so stocking I have decided Two clownfish , one pink tiled starfish , one emerald crab , BTA that is what I have decided on so I will get those for my tank put them in ( I will wait a month or so for the starfish so my tank is more established) and then see what else would look nice( corals and fish ) thank you everyone for your help :)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Emma, just to give you some perspective I had a budget of $700 I was nieve $3000.00+ later....................Trust me on Not at all trying to dissuade you just tring to give you a heads up
Yes I know it will be expensive but I’ve been wanting a marine tank for years so I think it will be worth it

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I also relied on Gumtree a lot. Quite a few people because of the complexity/Difficultys involved many give up and there is lots of good quality stuff for sale but it is best to do the research first

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I also relied on Gumtree a lot. Quite a few people because of the complexity/Difficultys involved many give up and there is lots of good quality stuff for sale but it is best to do the research first
Yes I had a look on there I got my tank from eBay and it is going to come with a lot of things extra even a separate quarantine tank with a filter heater and everything only for £80 but I will give gumtree a look aswell :)

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Kessil A 160 we light a kessil spectral controller still in box in a shop=$670 Australian dollars I paid a total of $225 AUD in 2 seperate tranactions. And that is premium lighting

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have liked the look of dwarf coloured feather dusters do you think one would do ok in my aquarium with the other tank mates I have ? and are they corals ?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have liked the look of dwarf coloured feather dusters do you think one would do ok in my aquarium with the other tank mates I have ? and are they corals ?
They aren’t corals. They’re a type of worm with a large crown for filtering food from the water. The clowns won’t hurt them, but some types of fish will so always do a little research first. I would wait until the system is more mature though, and you’ll likely want a food specifically for filter feeders.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t corals. They’re a type of worm with a large crown for filtering food from the water. The clowns won’t hurt them, but some types of fish will so always do a little research first. I would wait until the system is more mature though, and you’ll likely want a food specifically for filter feeders.
Ok thank you can I have a fish only tank for a few weeks then add fish or does the tank need corals ?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you can I have a fish only tank for a few weeks then add fish or does the tank need corals ?
No. A very common tank type is the FOWLR (fish only with live rock). Corals make things more complex and potentially difficult. If you’re new, start with some fish first and learn as much as you can, then reevaluate later if you want to get into reefing.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. A very common tank type is the FOWLR (fish only with live rock). Corals make things more complex and potentially difficult. If you’re new, start with some fish first and learn as much as you can, then reevaluate later if you want to get into reefing.
Great thank you so I don’t need coral I just add sand and live rock add Dr Tim’s and add one nerdy fish ?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thank you so I don’t need coral I just add sand and live rock add Dr Tim’s and add one nerdy fish ?
Sure. If it were me, I’d get the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle kit and use the ammonia drops to cycle the tank. I wouldn’t add fish until 4-6 weeks later. You’ll have a more stable cycle that way. If ammonia gets out of hand with a fish in the tank, it can cause irreparable damage and stress to the fish.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. If it were me, I’d get the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle kit and use the ammonia drops to cycle the tank. I wouldn’t add fish until 4-6 weeks later. You’ll have a more stable cycle that way. If ammonia gets out of hand with a fish in the tank, it can cause irreparable damage and stress to the fish.
Ok great thank you

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back