New to SPS seeks advice on fluorescing beginner branching corals

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I tested my tank with a surprisingly unappealing “purple” plating monti. It took off like wildfire so I added a bright red monti cap, forest fire digi, monti spongedodes, and a purple stylo. All are growing well… actually faster than my LPS.

I have a few more spots up top that I’d like to fill with bright/appealing branching SPS corals that don’t mind the occasional fluctuations that come from a non-expert hobbyist.

Right now I’m considering deep green frags of green slimer acro and/or elkhorn monti, and/or pink bird’s nest.

Any advice is welcome!

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would strongly recommend the Pink Bird’s Nest or Bird of Paradise along with a green slimmer acropora. They are pretty indestructible if your having good success with the ones you mentioned.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend the Pink Bird’s Nest or Bird of Paradise along with a green slimmer acropora. They are pretty indestructible if your having good success with the ones you mentioned.

I’ve had some bad lucky with birds nest and alkalinity swings. It’s actually how I killed mine but I had a monti spongodes that survived my noon days and is still alive to this day.

Green slimer is a good one. I also have pink caddy and pink lemonade frags that survived Dino’s and some parameter swings. I am also surprised at my Walt Disney frag has grown very well for me.

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the discussion, it consider a montipora Setosa. Great orange color, encrusting and branching. Super easy to take care of.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the discussion, it consider a montipora Setosa. Great orange color, encrusting and branching. Super easy to take care of.
I thought about it but I keep seeing tiny frags for like $80 in Texas

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also consider an Anacropora like green goblin or tropicana or golden rod. Interesting branching growth and fast hardy growers. My green goblin/golden rod (still not sure which it is) really glows bright mustard yellow. I think a lot of people forget about the anacroporas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back