New To Sumps - Water Changes

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a while off an on but will be getting a tank with a sump for the first time. Tank delivery is still a couple of weeks out. Let me know if this sounds about right: When doing a water change the return pump and power heads will be off. Tank water should drain into the sump to the bottom of the weir. Sump should fill up to about an inch from the top of the sump (this is provided I filled the tank to these levels). I clean the sand while doing water changes so I'll be pulling from the tank, when done just fill up the tank with new water to the bottom of the weir. Turn pumps back on and the tank and sump will return to their previous levels in a few minutes. Is that correct? It sounds straight forward but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also I assume one can do a water change by removing old water from the sump and then filling the sump back to an inch from the top. Is that correct also? Just want to make sure my assumptions don't flood my home on water-change days! Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a while off an on but will be getting a tank with a sump for the first time. Tank delivery is still a couple of weeks out. Let me know if this sounds about right: When doing a water change the return pump and power heads will be off. Tank water should drain into the sump to the bottom of the weir. Sump should fill up to about an inch from the top of the sump (this is provided I filled the tank to these levels). I clean the sand while doing water changes so I'll be pulling from the tank, when done just fill up the tank with new water to the bottom of the weir. Turn pumps back on and the tank and sump will return to their previous levels in a few minutes. Is that correct? It sounds straight forward but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also I assume one can do a water change by removing old water from the sump and then filling the sump back to an inch from the top. Is that correct also? Just want to make sure my assumptions don't flood my home on water-change days! Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!
I would not be overly concerned about how deep the water gets in the sump as long as it does not overflow when the return is turned off. For me I would not be comfortable with my sump 1 inch from the top when the return is turned off. When my return is off I try to make sure that my various probes and ends of dosing tubes are not submerged. My tanks are generally 6+ inches from the top of my sump with my return turned off. I like to take a sharpie or a piece of tape and mark the water level in my sump when everything is running. It is a good reference point for water changes.

Prior to turning pumps off for your water change, I would also turn off your ATO and your Skimmer. Then after you have removed the the water for the water change I would add water back to the approximate starting level and then turn everything back on except the ATO. Then I would adjust the water back to the line you have on the sump (may have to add or even take some out) and then turn the ATO back on. I made the mistake of pulling water out w/ the ATO on and ended up taking may salinity down some which I then had to correct over the next week.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dc reefer said about levels.
Other than that, sounds about right.
I pump the new water into the sump and use the return pump to fill the display tank, another advantage of having a few inches to spare.
Have a sharpie mark on the sump for your normal water level.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When conducting water changes I do not see any more than a minimal rise in my sump due to using check valves on my return lines.

It is just me but i alternate my locations to remove water each water change between the display and the sump. This allows for a cleaning of both areas.

Also i echo the previous comments that allowing your sump levels to get 1 inch from the top may not be the best move.

OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll re-think the 1" from the top thing... I got that from reading a few suggestions on how to fill a new tank: Fill tank to where is just starts to drain, then fill sump to about an inch from the top, then turn on pump and let it level out. Is that too simplified or am I missing something?

Obviously when I actually do this maybe it will make more sense but for the life of me the tank/sump level thing seems like quantum physics!

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i filled my last tank is as follows. I am not saying this is the best method but it worked for me.

I filled my display until it reached the point of draining into my sump, and stopped.

Identify the max height of water for the skimmer to work efficently and mark that on the sump. Full sump to this level.

Turn on return pump and allow it to start cycling water through my tank and sump.

Top off sump to the marked line for the skimmer.

With my check valves in place this maintains the level I orginally desired.

Hope this helps

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great advice here. One more thing to take into account. You mentioned the tank level drooping to the bottom of the weir. True, but you have to consider your return nozzles. If they are positioned lower than the bottom of the weir, water will continue to flow to the sump until the siphon to the return nozzles is broken.

Two ways to prevent this.
1. Make sure the return nozzles are positioned at a level pretty much even with the bottom of the weir.
2. Drill a pin hole in the return nozzle near the water level to break the syphon when the pump is off. Make sure the hole points down.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back