New to SW and R2R - Fluval 13.5 Nano

Reefer Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

I have had interest in a salt water aquarium for a few years, and I am finally ready to do it. I’ve spent a lot of time doing my research, talked to friends, reading, videos, etc.
I got a nice deal on a 13.5 Fluval AIO. Heard a lot of good things for beginners.
A few questions I have:

- Dry or live rock? I’m leaning dry. I know live will help kick start the cycle, but I’m patient and don’t need or want to rush anything. I’d rather minimize bringing in anything I don’t want in my tank.

- Can someone dumb down quarantine for new fish? I understand the concept, it’s the dosing where I’m still confused about. I see what seems like a ton of different things to put in with them and med them with. *QT is something that I have noticed A LOT of videos on YouTube leave out. I’ve spent hours watching videos and so many of these people on there show their awesome builds and just nothing about QT, kinda ticks me off because from my understanding it’s crucial. I know some people say it’s not necessary, but again I’m not in a hurry and to me...why the hell wouldn't you QT new life in your tank???

- Should I also QT my clean up crew? I think I know the answer...

Much appreciated in advance. I’m pumped. This has been something I’ve been looking forward to doing for a long time now. Anything else anyone wants to share, by all means. I’ll make a build post once I get her up and running next month.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Dry rock and live sand with bacteria added. Many new reefers go with live rock and get all sorts of pests.

2. For qt, essentially you cycle and set up a second tank that is only for qt. you can do copper, metroplex, paraguard, prazipro, etc in the water for x amount of days.

3. QT clean up crew isn't necessary. You can wipe the shells with a paper towl or something but most people don't just make sure there aren't things growing on their shells.

4. The evo was my first tank but the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is.

OP
OP
R

Reefer Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Dry rock and live sand with bacteria added. Many new reefers go with live rock and get all sorts of pests.

2. For qt, essentially you cycle and set up a second tank that is only for qt. you can do copper, metroplex, paraguard, prazipro, etc in the water for x amount of days.

3. QT clean up crew isn't necessary. You can wipe the shells with a paper towl or something but most people don't just make sure there aren't things growing on their shells.

4. The evo was my first tank but the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is.

yes, one thingI was surprised to hear when I first began doing my homework was that smaller tanks are more difficult and things can go wrong a lot quicker. And for all the stiff you mentioned for QT, that’s where I get confused. Use all of those? choose one? And how much? I’d imagine dosing amounts are on the bottle? Sorry for all the questions about it, I just want to get it right. And thank you!

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, one thingI was surprised to hear when I first began doing my homework was that smaller tanks are more difficult and things can go wrong a lot quicker. And for all the stiff you mentioned for QT, that’s where I get confused. Use all of those? choose one? And how much? I’d imagine dosing amounts are on the bottle? Sorry for all the questions about it, I just want to get it right. And thank you!

Some are made for specific diseases that fish have watch your fish for 3 days if any signs appear use the correct medication for what the bottle says

OP
OP
R

Reefer Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are made for specific diseases that fish have watch your fish for 3 days if any signs appear use the correct medication for what the bottle says
Ok so basically, I’m only using putting those things in there if I see something. Ick, and so on...
Other than that if I’m keeping a close eye and they’re doing well, eating, look clean, I just let them be and just feed as normal?

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever going to be putting enough fish in there to require quarantining them?

OP
OP
R

Reefer Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever going to be putting enough fish in there to require quarantining them?
Hey,
I’m only planning on having a pair of clown, maybe some kind of goby, and just my clean up crew. I was just under the impression that any fish (even coral) I plan to bring into the tank should be QT first just to make sure they’re healthy and don’t crash everything else in there. What do you think?

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I’m only planning on having a pair of clown, maybe some kind of goby, and just my clean up crew. I was just under the impression that any fish (even coral) I plan to bring into the tank should be QT first just to make sure they’re healthy and don’t crash everything else in there. What do you think?

I might just be lucky but that's my exact setup and it's been nearly perfect since day 1. I sourced all my stock from reputable suppliers (good LFS and decent web suppliers) and I've had no issues at all.

I've got 2 clowns and a scooter blenny, along with about 15 different soft and LPS corals. Also a Malu anemone. I've just acclimated stuff and kept an eye on them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You pick which medicine you want to use. They all have their pros and cons and some treat different things. They all have different dosing requirements. I used paraguard as I didn't have to test it and it doesn't stay in the biomedia for a long time like copper does (but copper can kill the stronger strands of marine ich that paraguard may not take out).

OP
OP
R

Reefer Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Spare time, post: 7118770, member: 121022"]
You pick which medicine you want to use. They all have their pros and cons and some treat different things. They all have different dosing requirements. I used paraguard as I didn't have to test it and it doesn't stay in the biomedia for a long time like copper does (but copper can kill the stronger strands of marine ich that paraguard may not take out).
[/QUOTE]
Ok I see. And do you use that every time you QT a new fish? Or only if you notice a problem?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Spare time, post: 7118770, member: 121022"]
Ok I see. And do you use that every time you QT a new fish? Or only if you notice a problem?
[/QUOTE]

Tbh I have only ran a qt on my my most recent fish. I have only ran into one problem with fluke or worms but I have no clue where it came from since it showed up way after I got my last fish (thankfully prazipro is reef safe and takes care of that so I does it into my tank). I used paraguard on a tang and an angel since those are commonly associated with marine ich. I have never qt a coral because I dip them and thoroughly inspect their skeleton before I place them in my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back