New to the aquarium hobby. Give me any and all advice for my first tank!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family!! Take your time, remember that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Enjoy the ride...
Dog Fail GIF by Kraken Images

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it definitely is. I took it right from my dad’s tank and put it into mine
A tank started with live rock in 2021, I knew I felt a disturbance in the force. No need for Dr Tim's. How long was the rock out of water between you dad's tank and yours? You probably are good to add fish right now if it wasn't out of water. Safe bet is to test for ammonia for a few days if it stays zero, add fish.

If that giant stag skeleton was grown by your dad then just ignore everything we say and do what he does, but add in a generator for power outages.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wished I would follow that last one....but I just can't help myself.
Tell me bout it, I'm fresh back into this mess. Had perfectly fine success with halides, no skimmer and refugium back in the day, heat was never an issue with central air. The amount of time I've spent looking at LEDs, roller mats, zeovit, dry rock, triton and UV since getting the old setup going again is unreal lol. I did add a couple t5 actinic so now I'm partying like it's 2005.

OP
OP
IlLupoDelMare

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank started with live rock in 2021, I knew I felt a disturbance in the force. No need for Dr Tim's. How long was the rock out of water between you dad's tank and yours? You probably are good to add fish right now if it wasn't out of water. Safe bet is to test for ammonia for a few days if it stays zero, add fish.

If that giant stag skeleton was grown by your dad then just ignore everything we say and do what he does, but add in a generator for power outages.
The rock never left water. I transferred it in a bucket of tank water and immediately put it in my tank after doing a basic cleaning (no more than 1 minute out of water just to get some tubes off of the rock). I’m planning on running the tank filter and stuff for 24 hours and testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all tomorrow. Yes, my dad had a beautiful tank with lots of corals all sadly destroyed. We now have a separate generator from the fridge for just fish tanks in case it happens again.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock never left water. I transferred it in a bucket of tank water and immediately put it in my tank after doing a basic cleaning (no more than 1 minute out of water just to get some tubes off of the rock). I’m planning on running the tank filter and stuff for 24 hours and testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all tomorrow. Yes, my dad had a beautiful tank with lots of corals all sadly destroyed. We now have a separate generator from the fridge for just fish tanks in case it happens again.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Go slow and have fun.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, then your setup is probably well established enough to add a couple of fish with the LR in it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like others have mentioned, please dont add fish until the cycle is over, thats just poor fishkeeping. Also like others have mentioned, cost is a major factor in this hobby, be aware.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back