New to the forum, 75 gal FOWLR tank stocking ideas?

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the group, I have a 75 gal FOWLR tank, thats on month 2 of cycling. I currently have 2 clowns (currently about 3/4 an inch each) , a neon dottyback (about a 1/2 inch), 1 blue spot goby (about 2 and 1/2 inch), and a white spotted toby (almost full grown at 2 and 3/4 inch) in a 30 gal who will be moving into the 75 as soon as its established and once I get the other fish so I can add them in the order needed. I'm wanting a few more fish but want to make sure I don't go fish crazy and overcrowd the tank cause I'm excited. My ideal list including the current fish is:

1 toby puffer (current)
1 pair occ. Clowns (current)
1 neon dottyback (current)
1 blue spot goby (current)
1 scooter blenny
1 yellow tang
1 pair designer clowns
3-5 blue green chromis

And maybe
1 or 2 false moorish idol ( bannerfish)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I live in hawaii so its pretty easy to get most fish but I'm trying to do captive bred as much as possible. I prefer captive so they are a bit hardier, more interactive/less shy, and better adjusted to tank life. Thank you!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!
I think the bannerfish are too big for the 75 gallon for sure. There are also challenges with having 2 pairs of clownfish as well. There are so many fish to choose from that would maybe be a better fit.
What about Blennies, Hawkfish, or dwarf angels? Plenty of color and personality in those groups and more suitable for your smaller system.

You are doing the right thing though for sure--asking questions and doing the work to make the best choice for the fish. It takes time, patience is really the key to success here....so very hard some days.....
Best of luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!
I think the bannerfish are too big for the 75 gallon for sure. There are also challenges with having 2 pairs of clownfish as well. There are so many fish to choose from that would maybe be a better fit.
What about Blennies, Hawkfish, or dwarf angels? Plenty of color and personality in those groups and more suitable for your smaller system.

You are doing the right thing though for sure--asking questions and doing the work to make the best choice for the fish. It takes time, patience is really the key to success here....so very hard some days.....
Best of luck and keep us posted!

Thanks so much, very helpful I was thinking that as far as the bannerfish thats why I wasnt too sure I just love moorish idols but know they are difficult to keep so definitely a no for me. As far as the clowns my husband wanted his own pair but I think I can get him to go for a flame angel instead if that would be better. We got another blenny today so we have a scooter blenny he seems to love the 30 he's pretty small but he's scooting around and eating so im sure he'll love it in the 75 once its ready, and then we are thinking a tidepool blenny (native to hawaii) would also do well.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from reading and many thanks to you guys my updated stocking list with my new addition is:
The current inhabitants of my 30 gal
1 White spot toby
1 blue spot goby
1 scooter blenny
1 neon dottyback
1 pair occ. Clowns

And what we want to add
1 yellow tang
3-5 blue green chromis
1 dwarf angel ( we want a flame angel)
1 tidepool blenny (native to hawaii)

Would the flame angel be okay with the tang and the others?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back