New to the forum, 75 gal FOWLR tank stocking ideas?

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the group, I have a 75 gal FOWLR tank, thats on month 2 of cycling. I currently have 2 clowns (currently about 3/4 an inch each) , a neon dottyback (about a 1/2 inch), 1 blue spot goby (about 2 and 1/2 inch), and a white spotted toby (almost full grown at 2 and 3/4 inch) in a 30 gal who will be moving into the 75 as soon as its established and once I get the other fish so I can add them in the order needed. I'm wanting a few more fish but want to make sure I don't go fish crazy and overcrowd the tank cause I'm excited. My ideal list including the current fish is:

1 toby puffer (current)
1 pair occ. Clowns (current)
1 neon dottyback (current)
1 blue spot goby (current)
1 scooter blenny
1 yellow tang
1 pair designer clowns
3-5 blue green chromis

And maybe
1 or 2 false moorish idol ( bannerfish)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I live in hawaii so its pretty easy to get most fish but I'm trying to do captive bred as much as possible. I prefer captive so they are a bit hardier, more interactive/less shy, and better adjusted to tank life. Thank you!
Welcome to family :)

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Howdy and welcome to R2R.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and family

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

I feel you have a good list except I’d not do a Moorish Idol (too hard to keep 99% of the time) and not the Yellow Tang unless you plan to upgrade. :) Maybe a smaller Bristletooth like a Tomini, White Tail? :)

For the Scooter Dragonet / Mandarins best to find CB from ORA. :)

Maybe even a smaller species of butterflyfish? xD The ones that get to no more than 6”. Dwarf angel?

Oh you said the Bannerfish? The brown ones are smaller but harder to keep and the Acuminatus, Diphreutes (would be really happy if I could keep one someday), etc. get large. If you had the tank for it though I think they’re beautiful.

Some wrasses would work nice too. Halichoeres (Yellow, Melanurus etc.) good for pest control. Flame Fairy Wrasse is a Hawaiian endemic I think. Flasher Wrasses remain fairly small. Pink Streak etc. Not sure how any of them would go with your Neon Dottyback so check up on that.

Cardinals maybe? Pajama, Orange Striped, Captive-Bred Bangaii etc.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the tank is thriving, nitrates and nitrite ammonia have been stable for the past month. I still dose live beneficial bacteria just to be safe and aid in maintenance. I used live sand and live rock
We have stocked the tank slowly
How do you feel about captive bred and raised clownfish and anenomes, do the need them? Would they host one? If I should get one what type? I'm not 100% sure if I can buy or get one here in hawaii because of the laws they have. No corals can be collected or shipped in, no live rock can be collected, no copepods can be shipped in or sold, and starting at the beginning of the new year no one will be allowed to catch or sell fish from Hawaii so things that are specifically native to Hawaii alone will no longer be available anywhere.

We have:
1 hawaiian white spotted puffer
1 blue spot goby
1 mandarin goby (she was really skinny when we got her, but now she is plump and at a healthy weight) (she eats live brine, frozen mysis, frozen brine and picks at the live rocks and live sand and we dose the tank with phytoplankton 3 days a week)
1 scooter blenny
1 tidepool blenny
1pajama cardinal
1 neon dottyback
1 pair ocellaris clownfish
1 pair of black ocellaris clownfish

Each pair of the clowns stay on opposite sides of the tank most times and when they do swim together they are not aggressive at all and eat together in the middle of the tank.
Everyone works very well together and freely swim around no one has really become overly territorial. Other than the blue spot goby he only shares his space in the cave willing with the mandarin goby. But he doesn't leave his cave very often of course so he doesn't cause issues.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back