New to the forum and saltwater life! With questions!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck with your 72g aquarium build!

6DD6144F-F8F1-4B30-975E-CBD3170AADE2.gif

OP
OP
ellismac

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. If you are getting the tank from someone who has had it running for years would you be able to ask the previous owner what they are? I'm sure once you post a pic someone on here would be able to help. It's unlikely to be a hitchhiker that will stump the collective knowledge of this site.
He said that they are fine and haven’t hurt the tank but I definitely want to know what they are. I understand a picture is worth a thousand answers so I’ll post one when I get the tank!

OP
OP
ellismac

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Welcome! You know bud, it’s not the hitchhiker I’d be worried about. It’s that 10 year old damsel!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!
360721BA-07EF-4E9C-B4C3-B53059CD3E23.gif
Well I’m hoping they keep going but I wouldn’t be surprised if they pass soon. If it’s not the age it may be the stress of moving that might get them. But we’ll see!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I am about to acquire a 72g bow front tank fully established with 10yr old black damsel fish in it!

alittle background:
Ever since I was a kid I’ve had all kinds of freshwater tanks, and I told myself when I buy my own house I’m going salt water. Now is finally the time. I have been doing research for over a year on saltwater tanks and finally found one in my budget and I don’t have to start from the bottom!

In all my research a lot of the questions I’ve had has brought me to this forum so I figured I might as well join.

we are transitioning the tank in two days and there’s still one thing I haven’t gotten answered and I’m sorry I don’t have a picture of it… but in the tank it looks almost like very small gray muscles attached to the filter housing and the walls. Almost like zebra muscles. Can anyone tell me if they are good, bad, or if I should let them be? I’m just afraid if I let them go they will take over the tank.

anyone have suggestions?
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Sounds like you already know about the other forum section and when you can get a picture you will post question over under ID section. I'll also suggest asking the person you are getting tank from - how long has it been there, what is it, etc.

I also purchased and relocated an established tank, and the prior owner knew & answered a number of questions for me since he had history that others may have struggled to figure out since they would have no history.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! My recommendation would be to still be patient. Even though the tank was fully cycled, moving it could upset the balance. Make sure to let the tank stabilize in it's new home.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I am about to acquire a 72g bow front tank fully established with 10yr old black damsel fish in it!

alittle background:
Ever since I was a kid I’ve had all kinds of freshwater tanks, and I told myself when I buy my own house I’m going salt water. Now is finally the time. I have been doing research for over a year on saltwater tanks and finally found one in my budget and I don’t have to start from the bottom!

In all my research a lot of the questions I’ve had has brought me to this forum so I figured I might as well join.

we are transitioning the tank in two days and there’s still one thing I haven’t gotten answered and I’m sorry I don’t have a picture of it… but in the tank it looks almost like very small gray muscles attached to the filter housing and the walls. Almost like zebra muscles. Can anyone tell me if they are good, bad, or if I should let them be? I’m just afraid if I let them go they will take over the tank.

anyone have suggestions?
Don't relocate the zebra muscles into another water body. Let them dry out on the driveway or other safe place.
Same for the damsel if the LFS isn't willing to adopt it?
Welcome to Reef2Reef! :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back