New to the forum, new to salt water. . . 5 gallon Fluval EVO reef

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all!!! My name is Josh, and I am new to reef tanks/saltwater tanks. I have kept freshwater fish for a few years now (currently have 5 tanks) and have decided to try my hand at a reef tank.

I ALMOST started a reef tank about 6 months ago, a 20 gallon drop off (that is still in my garage), but the wife wasn't feeling it. . . and now the space I was going to put the tank in no longer exists haha.

Because of the small space I have to work with my options were limited (also due to my budget. . .) so I ended up buying a Fluval EVO 5 gallon (much to my LFSs dismay. . . they said I was "a glutton for punishment". . . maybe they were right).

My goal for this tank is a simple but attractive reef. . . coral, macro algae, and inverts. . . NO fish. And I would like to do so using as much of the stock equipment as possible, namely the stock light. That said, I would like to add a hang on skimmer and an auto top off.

I am going to TRY this ATO:

Auto Top Off

It seems pretty cheesy, and I am a bit skeptical, but there were some decent reviews. One person who reviewed it tested the tank water and top off water after a few days to make sure the salt wasn't "creeping" into the top off. . . and it wasn't. . . though I am sure I will need to do my own testing.

I'm looking at this skimmer:

Skimmer

So here is the tank:

reef.jpg

CaribSea Live sand (that sat in my garage for 6 months, not sure it's still alive), 10 pounds live rock, and a Mangrove tree I found at PetCo (just threw it in until I can modify the lid and actually plant it. No livestock aside from hitch hikers. I have seen a few snails (turbo maybe), and a bristle worm (common maybe)

I am doing a fishless cycle using brightwell Microbacter XLM and Quickstart. Once it is cylced and I have my top off stuff figured out I will likely add some type of invert and macro algea. . . then wait like 3+ months before adding coral???

I am open to suggestions, comment, and concerns. . .

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!!! My name is Josh, and I am new to reef tanks/saltwater tanks. I have kept freshwater fish for a few years now (currently have 5 tanks) and have decided to try my hand at a reef tank.

I ALMOST started a reef tank about 6 months ago, a 20 gallon drop off (that is still in my garage), but the wife wasn't feeling it. . . and now the space I was going to put the tank in no longer exists haha.

Because of the small space I have to work with my options were limited (also due to my budget. . .) so I ended up buying a Fluval EVO 5 gallon (much to my LFSs dismay. . . they said I was "a glutton for punishment". . . maybe they were right).

My goal for this tank is a simple but attractive reef. . . coral, macro algae, and inverts. . . NO fish. And I would like to do so using as much of the stock equipment as possible, namely the stock light. That said, I would like to add a hang on skimmer and an auto top off.

Auto Top Off

It seems pretty cheesy, and I am a bit skeptical, but there were some decent reviews. One person who reviewed it tested the tank water and top off water after a few days to make sure the salt wasn't "creeping" into the top off. . . and it wasn't. . . though I am sure I will need to do my own testing.

Skimmer

So here is the tank:

reef.jpg

CaribSea Live sand (that sat in my garage for 6 months, not sure it's still alive), 10 pounds live rock, and a Mangrove tree I found at PetCo (just threw it in until I can modify the lid and actually plant it. No livestock aside from hitch hikers. I have seen a few snails (turbo maybe), and a bristle worm (common maybe)

I am doing a fishless cycle using brightwell Microbacter XLM and Quickstart. Once it is cylced and I have my top off stuff figured out I will likely add some type of invert and macro algea. . . then wait like 3+ months before adding coral???

Thank you for reading.
Welcome to the reef!!!! I will say you are going to have a lot of trouble in a tank that small due to the fact the parameters change way to quickly and there almost out of control for even the most exspirenced reefer not to mention a tank that small is not nearly big enough for really any fish!! What do you mean by no more space is you space tall but not wide or wide but not tall if so they make larger tanks that fit perfectly into these small spaces trust me by when I say you really need to upgrade to at least a 10 or 20 gallon tank you will thank me in the long run lol!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon critter tank, with a few corals in it. Its such a small tank that its so easy to change out 1 or 2 liters a day. You should feed a little to your tank to keep your snails and other hitchhikers happy, it will also get your tank used to feedings, since you plan to not have any fish (good on you for that, the tank is too small for fish to be happy). Since you wont be adding fish, the system should not fluctuate too much, so I would try adding a cheap, hardy coral shortly after the cycle to try it out. If it does well, then try another after a month. Thats how I would do it.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the reef!!!! I will say you are going to have a lot of trouble in a tank that small due to the fact the parameters change way to quickly and there almost out of control for even the most exspirenced reefer not to mention a tank that small is not nearly big enough for really any fish!! What do you mean by no more space is you space tall but not wide or wide but not tall if so they make larger tanks that fit perfectly into these small spaces trust me by when I say you really need to upgrade to at least a 10 or 20 gallon tank you will thank me in the long run lol!!
Yeah, I wont be putting any fish in here. planning on invert only. . . and "easy" inverts at that.

there were a number of factors for going this small, the "stand" I have available, the space, the cost, the fact that light and filter were included, and I like fluval's stuff. . . in hind sight I should have gotten the 13 gallon (it PROBABLY would have been OK on my "stand"). . . for whatever reason I didn't even consider it. . . like my mind went blank haha.

But yeah, I recognize that the bigger the water volume the easier it will be to keep parameters stable. Eventually I would like to get a bigger tank, got to get rid of some freshwater stuff first though.

For now I will truck on with the 5 gallon, and if I fail miserably I will try again with a bigger tank. (when I can afford another tank haha)

But I do appreciate the feedback

Last edited:

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auto Top Off

Skimmer

So here is the tank:

reef.jpg

Thank you for reading.
Welcome to the club and happy reefing

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auto Top Off

Skimmer

So here is the tank:

reef.jpg

Thank you for reading.
Tanks that small really don’t need a skimmer. They pull the nutrients out too fast. Also, a 1/2 gallon water change once to twice a week would be fine.
Parameter stability will be a chore no matter what, but I’ve seen some people do amazing things with corals using apothecary jars smaller than your tank, so good luck!

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Threw a black background on and tried to clean up the smudges:

8406316E-FDB0-47DA-BF75-748760D4EDDA.jpeg

Found another hitchhiker vermetid snail (I think).

35244F89-EB3F-4D31-BB24-4B18F86EB8FF.jpeg

still cycling, got ammonia and nitrites, no nitrates. . .

FC124F75-DA4E-4838-88F3-28C4C5CD24D1.jpeg

(was told my freshwater test was fine)

Thinking about adding a bit more live rock. . . Cause I want one of those branchy ones haha

the water I’m using is from my LFS. They claim it’s salinity is 1.023, though reads 1.0245 on my cheesy plastic Instant Ocean thing. . . Regardless I’m trying to maintain that 1.0245 for now, taking about 500ml top of daily

Last edited:

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw a black background on and tried to clean up the smudges:

8406316E-FDB0-47DA-BF75-748760D4EDDA.jpeg

Found another hitchhiker vermetid snail (I think).

311EF533-C126-4738-9A9F-FC9373024BE2.jpeg

35244F89-EB3F-4D31-BB24-4B18F86EB8FF.jpeg

still cycling, got ammonia and nitrites, no nitrates. . .

FC124F75-DA4E-4838-88F3-28C4C5CD24D1.jpeg

(was told my freshwater test was fine)

Thinking about adding a bit more live rock. . . Cause I want one of those branchy ones haha

the water I’m using is from my LFS. They claim it’s salinity is 1.023, though reads 1.0245 on my cheesy plastic Instant Ocean thing. . . Regardless I’m trying to maintain that 1.0245 for now, taking about 500ml top of daily
Using something like Bactiv8 can cycle your tank within a couple days.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple questions:

how long should I be running my light when cycling?

Also my cycling seems a bit “stalled”.

And I also
May have been using the products wrong. . . Was dosing ammonia and bacteria daily. . . Was I supposed to dose just once? Oops

According to the Brightwell product I’m using after about 5 days the tank should be “cycled”. . . but ammonia 1ppm, nitrite 2ppm, and nitrate 0-5 (maybe). . .
F4C92CC0-453F-480F-8D01-3A49B5E730DD.jpeg
should I just wait and keep testing, or keep adding bacteria until cycled?

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum, and to the hobby! Always great to see some new blood!;Vulcan
Good luck with the nano, they can be really rewarding to keep but often require a bit more maintenance. Their biggest weaknesses are unstable parameters and dependance on frequent topoffs, which can get difficult if you go on vacation for extended periods of time. I would get the largest ATO reservoir you can fit in your space, so that if you're on vacation the tank doesn't run dry (it's happened to me, not fun). I would try something like a harem of sexy shrimp with some Rhodactis mushrooms to start out, maybe a couple of Astrea snails and a few blue legged hermits for CUC. If you want to do some digging, you could also try and find a pair of Saron shrimp instead of the sexy shrimp. I've never kept them myself, but their behavior is fascinating to watch.
As for corals, things like clove polyp, Cespitularia, and Xenia would work great in this environment. They handle fluctuations really well; however, they grow pretty fast and can overrun smaller tanks if you're not careful. A couple of pretty zoanthids may also work well, I would try and find some Rasta zoanthids, they have a lot of color and grow pretty well for me in a dirty tank.

Good luck with the tank! Have a fantastic journey and God bless.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions:

how long should I be running my light when cycling?

Also my cycling seems a bit “stalled”.

And I also
May have been using the products wrong. . . Was dosing ammonia and bacteria daily. . . Was I supposed to dose just once? Oops

According to the Brightwell product I’m using after about 5 days the tank should be “cycled”. . . but ammonia 1ppm, nitrite 2ppm, and nitrate 0-5 (maybe). . .
F4C92CC0-453F-480F-8D01-3A49B5E730DD.jpeg
should I just wait and keep testing, or keep adding bacteria until cycled?
Have you been adding food to the tank? Old school reefers would start a new tank by putting a bait shrimp in for weeks to decompose.
Now, we use bottled bacteria, like Brightwell’s
while adding a small pinch of flake food every day. When the ammonia from the food drops back to zero within 24 hours, your cycle is considered ‘started’.
I’ve never added ammonia directly. But, to help the bacteria bloom along, and maintain healthy bacteria, I’ve alway dosed carbon using distilled white vinegar (vodka effects pH).

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple more questions:

Was wanting more flow, and after careful review of what was available both in store and online, a powerhead seemed like the best option for my size tank. Any reason I should or should not run this Sicce nano stream?

also, the magnetic holder is in the back portion of the all in one tank thing. . . So it’s submerged in the tank water, is this OK???

69BC3D40-AA6D-441D-97CD-B94E0CF553B6.jpeg

Also, I threw on a little LED in hopes of saving my poor mangrove. . . Though my hopes aren’t high. . .
I have a clip on light coming to replace my homemade one if it survives

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back