Rating - 100%
13   0   0

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all! New to this group and just setup a saltwater tank which I haven’t had in over 20 years. I am so excited but WOW things have changed. Fish and corals have about tripled in price. Looking forward to reading and possibly posting to ensure I provide a good, safe and healthy environment to all within my tank. I bought a used 72 gallon tank and have to buy everything from lights on and going to create a reef tank. Fun begins.
Welcome aboard. It’s like a big science project! People here are great, I’m sure you’ll find experts at every corner

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tank. Sticker shock definitely takes a while to adapt to -- I thought I had finally gotten used to how much things cost, and then we were hit with the price hikes related to the pandemic.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all! New to this group and just setup a saltwater tank which I haven’t had in over 20 years. I am so excited but WOW things have changed. Fish and corals have about tripled in price. Looking forward to reading and possibly posting to ensure I provide a good, safe and healthy environment to all within my tank. I bought a used 72 gallon tank and have to buy everything from lights on and going to create a reef tank. Fun begins.
Welcome!

whale GIF

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! We've all been there. I started my first reef with a Current Orbit Marine light. I loved the sunset and sunrise feature... and the price. Honestly, it's just a slick looking light and I was so happy to have it. The longer we are here, the more we specialize and learn. Keep an eye on the marketplace. You can find good equipment and fair prices as people change their minds, grow out of or upgrade.
Are you in Ruskin, FL? That's not too far from me. Reach out if you need anything!
Travel Vacation GIF by VISIT FLORIDA

OP
OP
R

rayragland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! We've all been there. I started my first reef with a Current Orbit Marine light. I loved the sunset and sunrise feature... and the price. Honestly, it's just a slick looking light and I was so happy to have it. The longer we are here, the more we specialize and learn. Keep an eye on the marketplace. You can find good equipment and fair prices as people change their minds, grow out of or upgrade.
Are you in Ruskin, FL? That's not too far from me. Reach out if you need anything!
Travel Vacation GIF by VISIT FLORIDA
Thank you such much for the advice. I really want to do a good job and not lose any fish or corals due to my negligence of course. My wife and I are heading out today to get my water tested to see if I can get possibly some clowns and a coral as a starter for my my tank. I don’t have the rock in it yet because a local fish store suggested I place it in a closed bin with water flowing for a month with no light to clean it up. The previous owner didn’t appear to clean and maintain well. Have a great weekend. We are excited to see if we are ready to start up. Boring with nothing but water and sand in the tank for two weeks.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you such much for the advice. I really want to do a good job and not lose any fish or corals due to my negligence of course. My wife and I are heading out today to get my water tested to see if I can get possibly some clowns and a coral as a starter for my my tank. I don’t have the rock in it yet because a local fish store suggested I place it in a closed bin with water flowing for a month with no light to clean it up. The previous owner didn’t appear to clean and maintain well. Have a great weekend. We are excited to see if we are ready to start up. Boring with nothing but water and sand in the tank for two weeks.
Best advice I can offer is to remember this is a marathon, not a race. Patience serves you well in the big picture. While you are out, invest on some good test kits.
There are great videos from BRS... like the 52 weeks of reefing. You two can pass the time watching those. :)

OP
OP
R

rayragland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can offer is to remember this is a marathon, not a race. Patience serves you well in the big picture. While you are out, invest on some good test kits.
There are great videos from BRS... like the 52 weeks of reefing. You two can pass the time watching those. :)
I have been watching the 5 minute videos from them and have been refreshing up and learning new. They do seem to be good. Where do you buy from? I have only only seen the Aquarium Fish Store and today going to Marine Warehouse Aquarium.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! A great place to learn from others and meet people that are just as obsessed as yourself with such an amazing hobby!

If you are new and looking for possibly something to follow along with and check out my YouTube channel could be helpful in your journey in the saltwater hobby. Feel free to message me anytime too with questions you may have! Hope you get a chance to check out the channel, and let me know how you like it!

Again... Welcome!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back