0   0   0
received_680853599283486.jpeg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to All: I'm so grateful that this forum exists! I'm just getting started and quickly decided that I'll do best by taking it slowly and doing it right. I figure it's better to spend more now to avoid trouble than risk costly and upsetting failures down the road, only to spend more then. Still, it's daunting. I haven't even bought my rocks for my aquascape, put in my sand (I've decided to go with sand rather than bare bottom), and poured in my RO water, and yet I've spent a fortune. There's just so much to learn, and many ways to set up a tank that fail to anticipate even the near future, let alone the long term. So, I'm reading lots and watching lots of videos. At this point, here's what I've bought:
1. Red Sea Reefer XL 300
2. 2 XR15 lights
3. 1 Sicce Syncra 4.0
4. 1 Vortech MP40
5. 1 Pentair Smart UV Sterilizer 12-65W 227VAC
6. 1 Apex System with flow monitor, etc.
7. 1 Trident & DOS system
8. 1 Echotech Battery Backup
9. 1 Inverter for System Battery Backup
Once I have everything hooked up and working, I plan to buy Caribsea Liferock and work on my aquascape. Then I'll place it in the tank, pour my sand, fill it up with RO, and learn how to cycle the tank. Then I'll start in on a hardy pair of fish: thinking about a pair of Royal Gramma Basslets to start, maybe a hermit crab, and an LPS or two once my Apex and Trident tell me the water is stabilized and ready. Spending my time now looking at aquascapes for the 300, but I'm really not sure what I'll end up stocking the tank with, so it's difficult to know exactly what shapes and constructions to shoot for. I'm thinking a few SPS up high (so I can have faster flow for them without a sand problem) and LPS down lower. I also want spaces for fish to hide and maneuver around, but not quite sure how best to achieve this mix in a rock construction for my mixed tank. Hoping to end up with a mix of LPS, SPS, a dozen or so fish and assorted sand dwellers. Any and all advice, reactions, comments welcome! Many thanks.
Hello and welcome

IndianReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to All: I'm so grateful that this forum exists! I'm just getting started and quickly decided that I'll do best by taking it slowly and doing it right. I figure it's better to spend more now to avoid trouble than risk costly and upsetting failures down the road, only to spend more then. Still, it's daunting. I haven't even bought my rocks for my aquascape, put in my sand (I've decided to go with sand rather than bare bottom), and poured in my RO water, and yet I've spent a fortune. There's just so much to learn, and many ways to set up a tank that fail to anticipate even the near future, let alone the long term. So, I'm reading lots and watching lots of videos. At this point, here's what I've bought:
1. Red Sea Reefer XL 300
2. 2 XR15 lights
3. 1 Sicce Syncra 4.0
4. 1 Vortech MP40
5. 1 Pentair Smart UV Sterilizer 12-65W 227VAC
6. 1 Apex System with flow monitor, etc.
7. 1 Trident & DOS system
8. 1 Echotech Battery Backup
9. 1 Inverter for System Battery Backup
Once I have everything hooked up and working, I plan to buy Caribsea Liferock and work on my aquascape. Then I'll place it in the tank, pour my sand, fill it up with RO, and learn how to cycle the tank. Then I'll start in on a hardy pair of fish: thinking about a pair of Royal Gramma Basslets to start, maybe a hermit crab, and an LPS or two once my Apex and Trident tell me the water is stabilized and ready. Spending my time now looking at aquascapes for the 300, but I'm really not sure what I'll end up stocking the tank with, so it's difficult to know exactly what shapes and constructions to shoot for. I'm thinking a few SPS up high (so I can have faster flow for them without a sand problem) and LPS down lower. I also want spaces for fish to hide and maneuver around, but not quite sure how best to achieve this mix in a rock construction for my mixed tank. Hoping to end up with a mix of LPS, SPS, a dozen or so fish and assorted sand dwellers. Any and all advice, reactions, comments welcome! Many thanks.
Wow! First thought is welcome! Second thought is that you really jumped into this head first with that setup, but it sounds like you’re doing your research! 3rd: how will you be testing? ...I like the Red Sea tests for no3, alk, ca, mg, and Hanna for phosphates and ph. I would also Consider a good RO system (Depending on your home water) from BRS and an area in the home or property to mix the saltwater... I like the Red Sea blue salt... that way you can always dose up on alk/ Ca. 4th: keep a journal of your progress with as much notes/ details, dates as possible, I track those 5 tests i Mentioned before as often as possible... during COVID it’s been almost daily ...my .02...hope it helps, in any case, best of luck! Welcome again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and family

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best possible platform on the web to get answers and meet people within this saltwater keeping hobby! No doubt a place where you can get lost in all kinds of different and insightful information!

Another great place to snag info about this hobby we all love is YouTube! I have a channel going that is basically just my journey in reefing! May have some helpful tips and tricks for ya! Let me know if you get a chance to check it out! Again, welcome to R2R!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back