New to the hobby and forum! Starting my first nano reef aquarium

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all great info!! I'll see if I can find a new spot for the cloves and GSP tonight, I just got my reef glue so that'll help big time over trying to stick the frags into rocks ha...

And yeah, the mandarin makes me nervous so that might end up being the plan.. I'd feel terrible starving such a beautiful creature.

Is there a particular type of coral food I should look into and maybe a regular feeding schedule?

Thanks!
For the first year and a half I didn’t feed coral and got pretty good growth, but that was with pretty undemanding corals - I only got reef roids recently.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start and you are part of a growing trend of folks starting small and learning the ropes
yes be patient and with that size tank, keep up the water changes.

I have a 15 WB on desk and have 2, 3lt same size pitchers. Fill one of the pitchers with new SW, turn off the pumps with one switch, take out a pitcher of old water, replace it with new, turn the pumps back on and Badda bing, a water change. Less than 5 minutes
Coral in this tank are thriving
Best o luck, keep in touch

2923DF43-B699-4EDE-B96E-B5BE59E83075.gif

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first year and a half I didn’t feed coral and got pretty good growth, but that was with pretty undemanding corals - I only got reef roids recently.
Manual dosing of quality (AF) amino acids cant hurt

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start and you are part of a growing trend of folks starting small and learning the ropes
yes be patient and with that size tank, keep up the water changes.

I have a 15 WB on desk and have 2, 3lt same size pitchers. Fill one of the pitchers with new SW, turn off the pumps with one switch, take out a pitcher of old water, replace it with new, turn the pumps back on and Badda bing, a water change. Less than 5 minutes
Coral in this tank are thriving
Best o luck, keep in touch

2923DF43-B699-4EDE-B96E-B5BE59E83075.gif
I agree - for me water change was simple:
Use pitcher to full bucket to 3 gallons
Empty
Mix new saltwater
Fill tank

The long part was cleaning algae, cleaning filtration (If necessary), and rearranging coral/rock as needed.

NoobTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I'm here to share my new experience with the saltwater aquarium hobby :)

I got involved with freshwater aquariums a while back and recently made my transition to saltwater.
Currently using a 13.5 Fluval Evo to get familiar with saltwater without having a huge commitment. I think eventually I'd like to upgrade to a 40 Gal long. But this small project gives me the chance to acquire some of the necessary equipment. So far I added a better return pump, wave maker, 25K LED marine light, ATO and extra bio-media. Mixing with Aquaforrest salt and monitoring KH/PH/Nitrates pretty regularly.. What do you think?

So far the tank is 2 months old and cleanup crew was added a few weeks after setup (Dosed with Aquaforrest live bacteria to speed up cycle). The diatom bloom was significant but the 3 Astraea snails and 3 Halloween hermits are doing a great cleanup job, they all seem very happy. This pervious weekend my girlfriend and I couldn't wait any longer and bought our first two corals. After no immediate adverse effects in the water we bought 3 more the next day.. I know.. my patience went out the window xD Ideally would have added fish before but we go on vacation for two weeks in may.. I figured corals should be alright while we're gone, am I correct? Hopefully the ATO and cleanup crew helps with that..

Anyways, I'm having a blast so far and can't wait to add some fish! Any input, advice or information is appreciated! THANKS! :D

PXL_20220328_191516085.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191544517.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191550106.NIGHT.jpg
Welcome buddy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back