billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Also don't forget to join www.atlantareefclub.org

You will find lots of information and sponsors that will give you discounts etc. Not to mention livestock and drygood sale forum etc.

From your local neighbor <><
Was going to mention ARC as well..great local community!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I’ve been reading through the forums for a month or so and have decided to join. Found this place through the BRS video series and love reading here in my spare time.
I’m an accomplished freshwater keeper and aquascaper, but am looking to move into marine keeping over the next year.
My wife and I are redoing an enclosed porch, and I’m looking for tips as far as what refinishing can be done to assist in placing a system if you could change the room in any way you wanted(wiring, floor type, bracing, etc.)
After being intrigued by the reefer 170 I’ve now convinced myself that I would actually prefer a g2 250 over the long run. Would love to hear opinions or alternative setups. Will mostly grow softies to begin and my stocking will begin with a pair of clowns and some shrimp most of my freshwater setups have amanos and neos.

would love to hear some opinions on whether buying equipment piecemeal then the tank when ready or just saving until they are all ready to setup. What equipment you look to buy used vs new etc.

As I said, my timeline is to have it ready to setup after the refinishing of the house, which will be 6-10 months from now. Thanks in advance

Welcome! Glad you joined. I recommend checking out local-to-you sites watching for someone leaving hobby and see if you can't scoop a complete setup. It my recommendation, and also what I did. I found someone that had a daughter starting college, so he wanted completely out for a few years. We joke he bought wonderful things just to sell cheap to us.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I know you are in planning stages, but this is truly the best time as you can best capture your early history. I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Atlanta, but google search & find more, even trusty craigslist and FaceBook may have results if you just give it time - I'm in Texas so don't know how active these particular MAS clubs are, but to start you on your equipment/setup treasure hunt:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
saltienewb

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. I recommend checking out local-to-you sites watching for someone leaving hobby and see if you can't scoop a complete setup. It my recommendation, and also what I did. I found someone that had a daughter starting college, so he wanted completely out for a few years. We joke he bought wonderful things just to sell cheap to us.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I know you are in planning stages, but this is truly the best time as you can best capture your early history. I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Atlanta, but google search & find more, even trusty craigslist and FaceBook may have results if you just give it time - I'm in Texas so don't know how active these particular MAS clubs are, but to start you on your equipment/setup treasure hunt:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Yes, others have pointed me to Atlanta Reef Club which has already borne fruit through a used BRS rodi setup with extra filters for 60 dollars. I also grabbed a reefwave 25 for 150 in great shape from here.
That’s one of the great things about having a longer timeline is being able to keep an eye out for good deals.
I will take your advice and start a build thread. Im knee deep in renovation work so tank procurement has taken a back seat but I keep an eye on classifieds here and on my local club page.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back